Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Pricing for Ebooks

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Depends on a lot of factors, but I personally don't spend more than 3 dollars on ebooks. I figure if I'm going to spend more than that, I will get the book.

message 2: by Angel (new)

Angel | 216 comments If you're self published: What I did for the e-book version of my book which is 214 pages is I priced it for $2.99, which has worked well for me as far as sales go and reviews. The e-book version of my book has sold better than the paperback version ($9.95) of my book. If that helps.

message 3: by Heidi (last edited Mar 02, 2016 08:56AM) (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments Smashwords does annual studies on what price points sell well. They have found anything from $2.99-$4.99 is the sweet spot. From there, it is really up to you. Depends on the content, and what you think the quality is. I price my novels (60-80K words) at $4.99, for perspective.

message 4: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) 200 pages on what? Since different devices are different sizes, best to say "word count" in your description. Most novels are 70-110k words, so if you are in that target, unless you are an established author with a following, stick with the lowest price you can and still get a 70% royalty, which is $2.99, and drop to $0.99 occasionally when you have an ad, like with Book Barbarian or Many Books, for a set time.

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Riley wrote: "Depends on a lot of factors, but I personally don't spend more than 3 dollars on ebooks. I figure if I'm going to spend more than that, I will get the book."

I'm kind of like Riley. I have bought a few books that were more than 3$ (VERY FEW) and only because I've interacted with the author at some point or another.

message 6: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) Well, Book Barbarian charges $15.50 for a sci-fi book, only sci-fi. You have to discount it to half or less than its normal price. My recent experience ended just about breaking even-meaning the ad paid for itself. The upside, these were actual sales, and as such affect your rankings, unlike freebies, which don't affect your permanent rankings. And--I got at least one more review out of the deal. All in all, I call it a success. Should I have run BB when my novel first came out instead of waiting nearly 3 years, then perhaps the results would have been different.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I price my novels at $3.99, and $4.99 for a new one. I've sold more at $4.99 than at any other price, probably because a new novel gets more attention and greater visibility on Amazon.

message 8: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Tamara wrote: "What do you feel is the correct price for a roughly 200 page Ebook?"

As stated, there are a number of factors, $2.99 is a good bet. Earnings below $2.99 drop dramatically, so it's usually not worth it unless you are employing the a "loss-leader" strategy for a series. $3.99 seems to be viewed as a bit pricey by many customers so a novel on the shorter side, which 200 page would seem to be.

KDP has a tools that suggests a price [or did]. I can't say how reliable it is, but it might be worth a look [if they still have it].

message 9: by David (new)

David Kelly (davidmkelly) | 2 comments Some useful information on the Smashwords 2015 survey - http://www.slideshare.net/Smashwords/...

message 10: by Shari (new)

Shari Sakurai (shari_sakurai) | 64 comments I price my full length novels at $2.99. I've found that pricing point seems to work well for me and it's the price I would personally pay for ebooks too.