You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Distant Hours
This topic is about The Distant Hours
Buddy Reads > The Distant Hours

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Mar 25, 2016 04:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Lisa and myself plan to read The Distant Hours in April. Feel free to join!

We haven't picked a specific date yet, depending on who else wants to join we can look for a date in April that is most suitable.

Edit: We'll start April 25!

Tasha I've read it otherwise I would join in. :)

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Mar 02, 2016 04:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Thanks for setting up the thread, Peggy! Anytime in April is good for me.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments I've already read it, but I'll jump here to read your comments and dip my nacho too. :)

Chelsea | 5 comments Only Kate Morton book I have left to read.. Would love to read it with you all in April!

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Glad to have you with us, Chelsea!

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Welcome Chelsea! It's also the only one I have still left. What did you think of the others? I'm assuming you liked them or you wouldn't be here ;-)

Chelsea | 5 comments Oh yes, I love Kate Morton! She is probably my favorite author. I just recently discovered her and have devoured all of her books ( only one left is the distant hours) . Her writing is just beautiful. She could describe a rock and make it sound like the most beautiful thing in the world!

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments I bought it today. Can't the woman write shorter books?

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Lol Cherie! She does seem to have a 500 page minimum limit. But I have to say there are 200 page books that took me longer to get through than her 600. They never feel that long.

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Cherie wrote: "I bought it today. Can't the woman write shorter books?"

Maybe she gets paid by the page? ;)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Lol, Cherie. With such intricate plots and such wordy style, I'm not expecting a book of less than 500 pages in the future neither. :)

message 13: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Lisa, Cherie, Chelsea, do you have a preference for when to start?

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments Doesn't matter to me.

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Anytime is good for me.

Casceil | 2623 comments The buddy read for The Clockwork Scarab starts April 12. It would be really nice if the buddy read for the Distant Hours was at least a week before or after April 12. I have my copy of the Distant Hours, so any time works for me. But after doing simultaneous buddy reads for The Lake House and Cockroaches, I would rather have things a little more spread out in April.

message 17: by Lisa (last edited Mar 21, 2016 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Just to throw a date out there, how about starting April 23rd? Would that be good for everyone?

message 18: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments If it's before or after April 12, I would prefer a week before. I'm on a long weekend away to Rome from April 21 to 25, and don't think I will get much, if any, reading done. I could join in on the 26th but I like it much better if I can read along with you all instead of being way behind :)

message 19: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Oh nevermind, just realized that I'm at a conference April 6-8 and also won't be able to read/discuss much if we started on the 5th.

Chelsea | 5 comments Anytime in April works for me !

message 21: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Okay, with that in mind, how about Monday 25th April as a start date?

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments That will work for me!

message 23: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments That will work for me :)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments That will work for me too!

Casceil | 2623 comments Monday April 25th works for me, too.

Chelsea | 5 comments Great! Can't wait

message 27: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Did anyone start already? I read the first few chapters on the plane today. It feels a bit different from other Morton stories, maybe because it's in first person and starts in the present. Was this her first book?

What happened to Edie's mom in the war? (view spoiler)

message 28: by Lisa (last edited Apr 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Did you enjoy your trip to Rome, Peggy?

I started a bit earlier today. I have only read the first two chapters so far but, like her previous works, it has pulled me in straight away. The writing is also as beautiful as ever. I agree, it does feel a bit different to her other stories. Hopefully that will be a good thing. I remember when we read 'The Lake House' that we were slightly worried that her books could become a bit samey, so it's quite nice that she has mixed things up a bit and used first person narrative. This is her third book, I believe.

(view spoiler)

Casceil | 2623 comments Peggy wrote: "Did anyone start already? I read the first few chapters on the plane today. It feels a bit different from other Morton stories, maybe because it's in first person and starts in the present. Was thi..."

Peggy, during the war the children were "evacuated," i.e. moved from the City of London to the countryside, to keep them from being hit by the bombs being dropped on London. The children went to stay with families willing to take them in. Of course, while they were there, they were expected to help the people who took them in, but the purpose of the evacuation was to keep the kids safe.

I've started, but I have only read the first chapter.

message 30: by Lisa (last edited Apr 25, 2016 03:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have read a few more chapters. I am at the beginning of the chapter called 'The Empty Attic and the Distant Hours' (page 81).

This has a more Gothic feel to it than some of Morton's other works, which I am enjoying. I love all the descriptions of Milderhurst Castle, it comes across as really mysterious and brooding.

(view spoiler)

So far, so enjoyable.

Casceil | 2623 comments Lisa, re your spoiler in Message 28 (view spoiler)

I've gotten as far as the Chapter where Edie meets the three sisters. I'm somewhere around page 60, so not caught up to Lisa yet.

message 32: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Casceil wrote: "Peggy wrote: "Did anyone start already? I read the first few chapters on the plane today. It feels a bit different from other Morton stories, maybe because it's in first person and starts in the pr..."

Thanks, that makes sense. It seemed like it wasn't done in agreement with the parents though, is that true?

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments I prefer books with chapter numbers for discussion, it makes it easier to see where I am in comparison with others. Edie has just met Percy.

I like that it is a bit different in style from her other books, but that it still has me intrigued after a few chapters and already raises many questions. Lisa, on your comment 28: (view spoiler)

message 34: by Lisa (last edited Apr 26, 2016 03:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "Casceil wrote: "Peggy wrote: "Did anyone start already? I read the first few chapters on the plane today. It feels a bit different from other Morton stories, maybe because it's in first person and ..."

I don't think a lot of parents wanted to send their children away but it was being done for their safety so they didn't really have many other choices or options. As for where their children ended up and who they stayed with, they didn't get a say in that. It must have been terrifying for everyone involved. Most child evacuees stayed within the UK but some were evacuated abroad to places such as Canada, Australia and South Africa.

message 35: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments I found a bit more information in wikipedia. I wonder whether the government would still be able to pull something like that off.

Casceil | 2623 comments Peggy, re: message 32. If you're referring to the mothers running to the train and demanding their kids back, I assumed those were parents who initially agreed and then changed their minds after the kids were on the train.

message 37: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments Probably Casceil. I found it hard to imagine the government doing that without any notice or consent. It seemed that way a little though because of the parents and the way the children were rounded up at school.

message 38: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments I'm now where you were before Lisa, (view spoiler)

message 39: by Lisa (last edited Apr 26, 2016 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am now up to chapter 'SIX' (page 163). (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Out of all Kate Morton's books, this has the lowest rating here on Goodreads and I know a few people who say it's their least favourite. I'm really enjoying it so far and if it carries on like this, I think I could end up liking it more than 'The Lake House' which is my least favourite at this point in time (I haven't read 'The Secret Keeper' yet). What do the rest of you think about it so far, in comparison to her other books?

message 40: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments I noticed that too Lisa. Of my GR friends only two have read it (Tasha and Sandra), and they gave it 3 and 4 stars. I think one of the criticisms on this book in general is that it is long and wordy and takes forever. The number of pages is not very different from Morton's other books, and I don't find it more wordy than her other books (that sounds negative, I like her writing style and descriptions and have never experienced it as wordy or long-winded), but I'm only 15% in so can't really say much yet.

I wanted to get more reading done yesterday evening but I have a really bad cold and my eyes and brain just couldn't focus on anything in print. Today is a day off in the Netherlands but I planned on working a little.

message 41: by Lisa (last edited Apr 27, 2016 03:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I hope you feel better soon, Peggy!

At this stage, I would say that the overall setting up of the story is taking a bit longer than some of her previous books but I wouldn't say it is more descriptive or long-winded than any of the others. It will be interesting to see if that changes as we get further through.

As I said previously, the thing I am enjoying the most about it is the different feel and tone. I think it has a darker atmosphere from her other books yet at the same time, it still feels distinctly 'Kate Morton'. I just hope that things don't become too familiar later on.

message 42: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I've read a bit more, I am now up to chapter 'ONE' - September 4th, 1939 (page 268).

Although I am still enjoying it, I do have a few problems with it now. (view spoiler)

message 43: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments I would love to read your spoilers Lisa, but I'm still at the 15%.

Casceil | 2623 comments I'm at p. 92--the chapter "1" that is set in 1941. It looks like the book is in parts, and each part ends with some numbered chapters. I do think this book has gotten off to a slower start than other Kate Morton books I've read. I felt like the whole first 90 pages was set-up, and I'm just getting to the "real" story--what happened during WWII. I hope to read some more this evening, but I'm not feeling as caught up in this book as I did in Lake House.

message 45: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments I'm also at the chapter titled ONE in 1941. I enjoyed this first part, didn't find it too long. I usually want the present day stories to be as short as possible but even though this wasn't so short I enjoyed it. Also happy to be going to the past now though!

The table of contents in my ebook only says part 1, 2, 3 and 4, but not the separate chapters.

Casceil | 2623 comments I have finished Part One, and I have read Lisa's spoiler at message 39. (view spoiler)

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments I'm about to start FIVE.

It feels like this book so far has fewer 'wow!! I need to talk about this in te buddy read right now!' moments than other Morton books. Yes, I have questions and there's clearly a lot of mystery, maybe that is what others have described as slower to get started.

I like getting to know the three sisters, specifically Percy and Saffy in these chapters. When Edie met the sisters she already noticed (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments I finally got a chance to start. I just finished the first two chapters and am on page 30.

I like it. The story in the prolog was beautiful.
Funny how those memories, like the sound her mother made come back to you.

message 49: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15094 comments I like the story in the prologue too, Cherie :) I almost missed it! For some reason, my ereader always starts books at the first chapter, so I don't have to swipe through the cover page, copyright page etc. I don't like it, so I always go back to page 1, and good thing I did, because it skipped the story of the mud man too.

I'm about to start NINE in Part 1. Funny how (view spoiler)

message 50: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I like the 'Mud Man' story too. When I read the prologue, I found myself wishing that it was a real story. If it was, I would definitely read it.

« previous 1