What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Man who wants to disappear into painting

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martin (new)

Martin | 8 comments I'm looking for a book, possibly a short story, about a man, possibly an old nazi officer, who every day stands in front of a beautiful painting in a museum wishing he could go into the painting. One day the man is vanished and the painting has changed, now depicting hell.
One guess is that it could be by Roald Dahl.

message 2: by A~ (new)

A~ | 20 comments This was a part of the movie Night Gallery.
I don't know if it was also a short story, but that would be the place to start.

message 3: by A~ (new)

A~ | 20 comments The segment was called "The Escape Route" but I am unable to find any mention of any short story it was adapted from.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Diaz | 224 comments I love that tv series! And that episode is one of my favorite.

message 5: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments I recognized that immediately from the Night Gallery series, that particular episode was horrifying to say the least.

message 6: by Mythewood (new)

Mythewood | 1 comments it's a long shot, but what about "The Mezzotint" by M.R. James or "The Road Virus Heads North"?

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33466 comments Mod
Links for Mythewood's suggestions:
The Mezzotint by M.R. James
The Road Virus Heads North by Stephen King.

message 8: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 222 comments The Night Gallery episode is based on the short story "The Escape Route" by Rod Serling. This story was first published in "The Season to Be Wary."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 9: by A~ (new)

A~ | 20 comments Awesome job Bonnie

message 10: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 222 comments Thanks. It wasn't hard to find. I know Rod Serling wrote a lot of his own stuff for Twilight Zone and Night Gallery. I have one of the TZ books. It actually includes an ending for "A Thing About Machines" that wasn't in the tv episode. I just searched for the story and came up with a site that stated that Serling had written it, and then searched for the book with it.

message 11: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Bonnie wrote: "Thanks. It wasn't hard to find. I know Rod Serling wrote a lot of his own stuff for Twilight Zone and Night Gallery. I have one of the TZ books. It actually includes an ending for "A Thing About Ma..."

Would you mind posting a spoiler about the ending of that episode?

message 12: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 222 comments Laurie wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Thanks. It wasn't hard to find. I know Rod Serling wrote a lot of his own stuff for Twilight Zone and Night Gallery. I have one of the TZ books. It actually includes an ending for "A..."

The ending of the tv show makes you believe that he really was crazy like everyone said. In the book, after the death of the main character (who everyone thinks is crazy), you are taken to a cemetery where a caretaker is mowing the lawn. Suddenly, the lawn mower has a mind of its own and starts attacking a nearby grave. The headstone belongs to the main character. So you are led to believe that the machines really didn't like him after all.

message 13: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Thanks Bonnie, you gotta love Rod Serling..

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Martin, are you still looking for this or did you find it? Did you check out Bonnie's suggestion @8?