Something Old, Something New discussion

The Companions (The Sundering, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #24)
This topic is about The Companions
Archived Reads - 2014 > May 2014-The Companions by R.A. Salvatore

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new) - added it

Kate S Here we will be discussing our May "new" read of The Companions. Please be aware there will be spoilers in this thread.

message 2: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - added it

Michelle (shelld79) | 754 comments Mod
Ok, so I started reading this today and there is only one word that can describe my experience so far (which is around 10% in) - Confused!!
I don't know what on earth is going on or who half the characters are. I really hope things clear up a bit when I get further in because at the moment my head is hurting!
And I usually really like fantasy books.....

Shaun  (Lost in Books, Film, and Floss) Michelle wrote: "Ok, so I started reading this today and there is only one word that can describe my experience so far (which is around 10% in) - Confused!!
I don't know what on earth is going on or who half the ch..."

Michelle have read any of the other Drizzt books? I want to read this one but I am so far behind in the series that I know it would be pointless for me to even try. Once I catch up on a few other series and challenges I'm just going to go back to the beginning and start over.

message 4: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - added it

Shaun wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Ok, so I started reading this today and there is only one word that can describe my experience so far (which is around 10% in) - Confused!!
I don't know what on earth is going on o..."

Hi Shaun, no I haven't and I was hoping it wasn't necessary because this was supposed to be the first book in a new spin-off series. I'm starting to think that it might've been a good idea to have read the Drizzt series first though....
From the reviews I've read people seem to be of two minds about it. Some say you don't need to have read the series prior to this and some say you do. I guess I'll see soon enough!

message 5: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - added it

Well I'm around 40% into this now and it's finally starting to make some sense!
I can't say I'm really enjoying it but I will finish it just to say that I did.
I really don't know about picking up the next ones in the series. It will have to be an awfully good ending to convince me of that......

message 6: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - added it

Yep, I admit it, I've given up on this book and it has become the 5th book ever that I haven't been able to finish reading. I just wasn't interested in any of characters and found the storyline terrible.
There really isn't anything positive I can say about this book unfortunately *hangs head in shame*....

message 7: by Kate S (new) - added it

Kate S I set this book aside as well. I may come back to it, but I think I am going to do some more investigating into the series and see if there is a "cheater" path through without needing to read all 23 (?) preceding books.

message 8: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - added it

Kate S wrote: "I set this book aside as well. I may come back to it, but I think I am going to do some more investigating into the series and see if there is a "cheater" path through without needing to read all ..."

I also have the next three in the series after this one and they are all written by different authors which I thought was fasinating. I was keen to see how they differed in storytelling because of that but will probably never know now....
Maybe in 60 years time when I've read the 1000's of books on my list to read and have nothing else left I'll pick this one up again :-)