Monthly Recommendations discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Topics > April: Survival Stories

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trina (Between Chapters) (last edited Mar 01, 2016 10:56PM) (new)

Trina (Between Chapters) (trinabetweenchapters) | 129 comments Mod
Hey guys! April's topic is Survival Stories!

This is a classic and prevalent them in literature across many genres (think man vs man, man vs nature, man vs self) so we look forward to seeing everyone's spin on it!

Specifically, what I'm referring to here are stories about the human capacity to survive harsh living conditions or overcome challenging, life threatening situations. This should be a central theme in the book.

What does it take to survive in a world without water? A zombie apocalypse? Being stranded on Mars? A dystopian society?

Help:
Think memoirs of people who have survived accidents.
Think books about overcoming depression or suicide attempts.
Think books about horrific events in history, such as the holocaust.
Think mystery books with a 'can they make it out alive?' premise.

Examples:
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe Island of the Blue Dolphins (Island of the Blue Dolphins, #1) by Scott O'Dell The Martian by Andy Weir Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) by Elie Wiesel

Don't forget to share you links over here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (keepingheather) | 1 comments For a historical based viewpoint on survival stories, there have been several popular books in the past few years about the Holocaust/WWII that would fit well in this category. Two books that came to mind immediately were Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys and The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. I have also read and enjoyed The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons, Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum and The Silence of Trees by Valya Dudycz Lupescu.

message 3: by Kayla Rayne (new)

Kayla Rayne (kaylarayne) | 79 comments Mod
Guys, April is also Trina's birthday month!!!! Just thought I'd throw that out there!

message 4: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 24 comments I think I'll have some good ones for this!

message 5: by Cherrie (new)

Cherrie | 14 comments This is going to be a fun one to do in April, I'm looking forward to it :)

message 6: by Casey (new)

Casey Greer | 4 comments I'm so so so excited for this

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 18 comments Already got the books for this recommendation sorted!! So exciting

Jordan (thejordanjournals) (thejordanjournals) | 4 comments I'm sensing a bit of Trina's influence in this month's topic

Jordan (thejordanjournals) wrote: "I'm sensing a bit of Trina's influence in this month's topic "

Hehe, Kayla sent me 2 topics to choose from and I was like THAT ONE!

Don't forget the place to share your links is over here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.