Writers of Color Book Club discussion

Book Discussions > The Orenda Discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adira (last edited Mar 01, 2016 09:25PM) (new)

Adira (introvertinterrupted) | 391 comments Mod
Here we will discuss our March selection, The Orenda by Joseph Boyden. Please remember to cloak all spoilers using the (view spoiler) html link.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments I read this novel last year and I really enjoyed it! Hope you all feel the same way.

message 3: by Adira (new)

Adira (introvertinterrupted) | 391 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "I read this novel last year and I really enjoyed it! Hope you all feel the same way."

I'm super excited to read a First Nations author with the club since I've been wanting to get more into Native American Literature.

message 4: by Alison (last edited Mar 11, 2016 11:34PM) (new)

Alison Gresik (alison_gresik) | 10 comments Just want to point out that Joseph Boyden is not a First Nations author. He is of Irish, Scots, and Métis descent. I was surprised to learn that, since I had assumed from his work that he was First Nations. (Métis/Anishanaabe are Indigenous North Americans of mixed race. They are formally recognized as Aboriginal people in Canada alongside the Inuit and First Nations. All that to say that Boyden should be considered a writer of color, but not First Nations.)

I read several critiques of The Orenda from other First Nations people and scholars, citing problematic representations of the Huron and Haudenosaunee people.

Based on the critiques and the fact that I'm more interested in contemporary books than historical ones, I decided not to read The Orenda. (There was also the fact that the subject matter is quite violent and I think it would be too much for me at the moment.)

I'll be curious to hear what others think of the book, though. It certainly has its proponents as well.

message 5: by Fiza (new)

Fiza (fizaaarshad) One of the things that I found interesting was that towards the end of the novel, the individual voices became more like each other, and not as distinct as they were at the beginning. What did you all think of it?