Trail-Mix Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Mar 02, 2016 07:31PM) (new)

Kimberly Vanderbloom (kvanderbloom) | 34 comments Mod
Hi everyone! Happy March! I hope everyone joined their extra day yesterday. I know I had a great time at the park with my little one. It is that time to announce the book of the month. This month I happy and honored to announce that Blood Master by Kirsten Campbell. I had the pleasure of reading this a few months back and I just loved it. Make sure to check out my giveaway folder to find out what I have up my sleeve this month. If you stay active on this thread you are automatically entered to win surprise. It is also newly edited which is pretty exciting.

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Trail-Mix Readers Interview of

Kirsten Campbell author of Blood Master Book 1 of the G.O.D.s Series

What books have most influenced your life?

Frank Herbert’s Dune: All 6 books!

George Lucas: Star Wars Trilogy

Isaac Asimov’s: I Robot book of short stories

Anne Rice: Interview with a Vampire/ Servant of the Bones

How do you develop your plots and characters?

I build my plot around an outline and I kind of dream up my characters. Yes, they come to me in dreams. The plot is built around a supposition. (Ex: Suppose this happened, what if this happened then what effect would that have on a person and/ or his world, or on the world itself?) Things kind of escalate once you start asking all the right questions.

Tell us about your protagonists. Was there a real-life inspiration behind them?

My main protagonist, Griffin Storm, came to me in a dream. It was one of those apocalyptic dreams and the whole world was in ruins. He brought me underground to meet all these children that he had saved and was taking care of. Tassta, the female lead, is the girl that is strong yet soft, she has a yearning to be more and she feels she can do anything a guy can do, sort of a GI-Jane. She can kick butt, take names but also take care of the kids and cook, when she has to. She had to be strong because she is Griffin’s girl, and he’s the prophesied one. He can’t have a wimpy chick. LOL

How did you get in touch with your inner villain? Was there a real-life inspiration?

Yes, definitely. I was raised in what I like to refer as a war zone. I had a very difficult childhood filled with verbal, psychological and physical abuse. I was abandoned by both parents, left to a horrid grandmother that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. When I was a child, the only way to stay sane was to create stories in my head and pray that one day I would get out alive. Well, I did and I found my way. I then made it my point and duty to never become what I lived. I didn’t want to repeat the cycle, which is what usually happens. Instead, I went the other way. I spoiled the heck out of my children and now I do the same with the grands.

What real-life inspirations did you draw from for the world building within your book?

I pulled quite a bit from my childhood. I was very poor, I mean starvation poor, when I was a child. I know what it’s like to dig into a trash can for a piece of bread and wear shoes with huge holes in the sole. (I truly hope that doesn’t turn people off, but it is the truth.) I put a lot of my childhood into creating the Underground scenarios for the children and I checked encyclopedias for location. I have lived in different areas and have had lots of jobs and I’ve done well for myself, so I’ve been able to live where I want and how I want. I lived in Atlanta, GA for over twenty years, so I had the chance to actually measure out locations by foot.

What was the hardest part of writing this book?

Getting the harshness of the Underground children’s environment down against the lush, richness of the Brotherhood fortress was like going back and forth to hell several times. It was hard to keep the pace running forward during the Underground raids without making me feel sad for the kids. I didn’t want to overwhelm the reader with remorse, or make it seem like the children had no hope. I had to allow them to see what I saw, that the children did have hope and that Griffin would eventually save them. That’s the premise of the story, and even though Griffin only saves a few at first, there are still several more books to come, so he still has a chance to fulfil his wish to save them all. The Underground is such a dark, sad place. That’s why I had to make sure that Griffin brought the kids music and joy and laughter, and that he showed them a brotherly and a fatherly love.

It was also hard finding a happy medium with Griffin once he transformed. He has so much to learn to control and suddenly has to be so careful with everything he does. He can’t get angry or he can destroy the fortress, he can’t breathe a certain way or he releases the pheromone scent. He also has extreme emotions and feelings, and let’s not forget the doors to heaven and hell. To make all of this seem plausible and real, he had to be larger than life, Griffin had to start off with a heart of gold so all his latter failings could be forgiven. That was hard to accomplish.

All in all, it was hard getting so many different types of love into Blood Master without straining the relationships. The best friend love between Griffin and Penn, the fatherly love and respect between Griffin and Lerin, the emotional love between Griffin and Tassta, and the fatherly love between Griffin and the children of the Underground. It all was balanced out against the harsh realities each person faces once Griffin transforms.

What was your favorite part to write and why?

Definitely the comic bantering between Penn and Griffin. Penn is a complete nut. He’s the kind of guy you want on your side.

Is there a message in your novel that you hope readers will grasp?

Yes, the message is to believe that good always wins. No matter how much bad is stacked up against you, good will eventually triumph. Also, love is stronger than hate, always.

What is your preferred method to have readers get in touch with or follow you? (website, blog, facebook, goodreads) Links?

Facebook, definitely… www.facebook.com/GODsSeries

Also, my websites: www.kcampbell-gods.com & www.kirstencampbellbooks.com

When did you first realize you wanted to become an author?

I was nine years old when I wrote my first poem and my teacher taped it to the classroom door. I was twenty-six when I first got published in a magazine. After that, I just kept submitting and getting published.

How long does it take you to write a book?

It took ten years to write the G.O.D.s Series. Of course, there are four books to the series.

What does your family think of your writing?

They love my writing and encourage me all the time to put more books on Amazon.

What do you think makes a good story?

A thoroughly engaging plot, and a great beginning and ending, with likable characters.

What project are you working on now?

I just had a short story accepted for an anthology called, “Gems of Strenght” part of a series of called The Sisterhood Series by Metamorph Publishing. My story is called, “The Gravedigger’s Mark” and the book will be published May 30, 2016. I’m also putting the finishing touches on my second book in my G.O.D.s Series, Blood Rage. I have a cover artist working on the covers for the adult and young adult books.

message 3: by Claudette (new)

Claudette Melanson (cmelanson) | 1 comments What is the biggest challenge you find for having a writing career?

message 4: by J.B. (new)

J.B. (goodreadscomjbmorrisauthor) Time. Such a constriction.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Congratulations Claudette! You are the winner of this month $15 Amazon gift card.