Literary Award Winners Fiction Book Club discussion

Past Reads > Victory over Japan - Rhoda (Chs 1 to 7)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janine (new)

Janine | 100 comments Mod
Please comment on Victory over Japan from Chapters 1 through to 7. This covers the short story titled Rhoda.

NCW will be leading the discussion this month - thanks NCW!

message 2: by NCW (new)

NCW | 24 comments Hi everybody -- I'm looking forward to reading Victory Over Japan with all of you.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 10 comments Just got started today on it. Promising so far

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Sprengelmeyer | 2 comments I really liked the way the first three stories developed the Rhonda character. Each story could stand on it's own, but they are almost a novella together.

message 5: by NCW (new)

NCW | 24 comments Interestingly, Gilchrist came back to the characters Rhoda and Nora Jane in later work. She seems to be living with them throughout her career.

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene | 530 comments My library does not have this short story collection. It has other books by this author, but not this one. I guess I will be sitting out this discussion.

message 7: by Janine (last edited Mar 08, 2016 03:38PM) (new)

Janine | 100 comments Mod
I'm in the same situation as Irene on this one... (And I've got a backlog from the other monthly reads due to changing work arrangements that haven't allowed me the leisure to read for pleasure).

message 8: by NCW (new)

NCW | 24 comments Sorry to hear Janine and Irene can't join us this month. I'm really enjoying this book but I'm also behind due to work commitments. I'll be posting some more thoughts on the book so far soon, I promise!

message 9: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Bensman (dispatchesfromamessydesk) I've just arrived at the Nora Jane section of Victory Over Japan, and so far have mixed reviews of the book. I loved the first story in the collection (the title story) which I think, so far, has been the best. Gilchrist's writing is funny and fast-paced and maybe a little to continuously intense and breezy for me. In any case, I'll keep reading. Some reviewers had such glowing things to say about the Crystal stories that I'm looking forward to those.

message 10: by MaryD (new)

MaryD | 3 comments This book isn't grabbing me. I'm tempted to put it down, but maybe I should get to the Crystal stories before I let it go?

message 11: by NCW (new)

NCW | 24 comments Although I really enjoyed this book (I think I just enjoy Gilchrist's style) I'm seeing that maybe this didn't turn out to be a good one for the group? I'd be curious -- for those of you who made it the end -- what you thought about the Crystal stories. It sounds like other readers find those the most compelling. I personally enjoyed the Rhoda and Nora Jane stories quite a bit more. I think I enjoyed the breezy treatment of darkness and mental illness and desperation (especially in the Rhoda stories). There's something about the lightness of the writing that reveals the way the characters are haunted under the surface.

message 12: by Kai (new)

Kai Coates (southernbohemian) | 2 comments I loved the book. The least successful stories were the group in the "Crazy, Crazy, Now Showing Everywhere" section, and I think the Nora Jane stories were my favorite out of the group. Crystal's antics are so over-the-top I thought it was very smart to bring in Traceleen as the narrator for most of those stories. I imagined her giving the Weisses a lot of side-eye/raised eyebrow looks, but she also still manages to have a lot of love for Crystal, Crystal Ann, and King. I'm eager to read more of Gilchrist's work in the future.

message 13: by NCW (new)

NCW | 24 comments Kai, I think you'll really enjoy In the Land of Dreamy Dreams. I read that a year ago and that's what got me hooked. I think I would get even more out of her stories if I had spent more time in Louisiana and Mississippi. Anybody on this thread from the south?