Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Swap for beta/critique for contemporary romance

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Paschke (thunderpaws) Looking for someone to swap to be a beta/critique partner for one another. I have a contemporary romance that is 120k words. If I can manage to find a critique partner for long haul out of it all the better, but if not any feedback is always welcomed.

Ideally I would swap with someone within the same genre as this is what I love to read, but am always potentially open to other genres.

I'm looking particularly for things like continuity in the story, plot holes, any missing words, sentences that don't make sense etc. All those sorts of things that can be easily missed after you've read your own manuscript countless times and know what you intend but it may not appear that way to another person reading it.

If you're interested give me a shout.
Sue

message 2: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Marten | 27 comments 120 words is a lot for a romance....

message 3: by Keisha (new)

Keisha | 5 comments If you could tell me a little more about the plot/type of romance you're working with, I may be able to assist you with this. The rough draft of the book I am currently writing is close to 180k so I understand the challenges of writing a LARGE manuscript.

message 4: by Frédérique (new)

Frédérique | 8 comments Sue wrote: "Looking for someone to swap to be a beta/critique partner for one another. I have a contemporary romance that is 120k words. If I can manage to find a critique partner for long haul out of it all t..."

Hi Sue,

If you need someone to be a beta/critique i would like to help but I'm not a writer so i couldn't send you a manuscript. I m just a passionnate reader and would love to help someone as i have free time in my Life at the moment. If you are interested don't hesitate to mp me.

Frederique

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Paschke (thunderpaws) Thanks for the offers Keisha and Frederique. I've been fortunate enough to find the beta readers I've needed for this book, but really do appreciate the gesture.

Sue

message 6: by Frédérique (last edited Mar 07, 2016 01:24AM) (new)

Frédérique | 8 comments I wish you luck with your book

message 7: by Martin (new)

Martin Rinehart Off topic Keisha, but I'm also working with a large novel. Could be duology, trilogy, ...

How do you decide?

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Paschke (thunderpaws) I'm not Keisha, but when I hit 180k and was nowhere near completing teling the story I wanted to I realised it needed to be split. I sat and plotted out what was left to write, and then looked where a split could occur between books.

message 9: by Martin (new)

Martin Rinehart Same question, Sue. Split (duology) or splits (trilogy, ...)?

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Paschke (thunderpaws) I went with trilogy, but only because it worked for the story I'm writing. There were three clearly delineated areas for me, so in my head I'm currently writing a trilogy. If I could have cut it down to a duology I would have personally (and if I can find a way to do so, I still might but it's pretty unlikely). In my opinion trilogies are often overdone by the genre I write in (romance) and it sometimes feels like it is to the detriment of the characters as they go through turmoil after turmoil that no sane person in real life would ever put up with. That's what I don't want in my writing, and it's not what I like to read. It's just personal preference.

Having said that I'm also a series reader, where characters and settings are taken through 5-6 books and stand the test through each one.

There is no right or wrong answer to the question, and no answer set for choosing duology or trilogy. Only you can make the decision based on the feel of where the characters are at, and the story line. Whatever you choose, good luck with it.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (xdestin82x) | 9 comments Keisha wrote: "If you could tell me a little more about the plot/type of romance you're working with, I may be able to assist you with this. The rough draft of the book I am currently writing is close to 180k so ..."

my WIP romance is 171, 285 and that's the completed first draft and I am also looking for a beta and CP. In return I am willing to swap

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (xdestin82x) | 9 comments Suzanne wrote: "Looking for someone to swap to be a beta/critique partner for one another. I have a contemporary romance that is 120k words. If I can manage to find a critique partner for long haul out of it all t..."

my WIP romance is 171, 285 and that's the completed first draft and I am also looking for a beta and CP. In return I am willing to swap

message 13: by Martin (new)

Martin Rinehart Stephanie, Suzanne, Keisha, I'd be happy to read some of your words. I'll happily let you look at some of my 235k words, too.

I put an overview (3 pages) and a chapter by chapter summary online to make it easy to do less than a full read.

Genre: erotic, married romance. Explicit sex, between people who said "I do" before the story starts, with lots of love and a happy ending, but no lack of problems along the way.

message 14: by Suzanne (last edited Jun 12, 2016 05:38PM) (new)

Suzanne Paschke (thunderpaws) Stephanie, I'm happy give yours a read if you like. Send me a pm, and I'll give you my personal email details and we can take it from there :)

Suzanne