Beta Reader Group discussion

Covers, Blurbs, 1st Line, Query > Two Covers, Pick One

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments Firstly, it's a contemporary in the new adult/young adult genre. Secondly, It's in desperate need of a book cover. The book is yet to be released so it has time for any suggestions you as a viewer/reader would have. Read the synopsis first.

Here's a link to the "working" synopsis: http://bit.ly/1Nvkjdy
Here's the link to the covers: http://www.kemdiik.com/#!not-so-fragi...
Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Which will it be? First or Second?

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Blair (lovelyshivers) I like them both, a LOT, but the first one has the edge IMO. :)

message 3: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Janetzki (aimeejanetzki) My favourite cover would have to be the second one. I think it suits the book better then the first one.
Wish you the best of luck with your book!
-Aimee

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 35 comments Second one. At first I hated it, but the more I looked at them side-by-side, the more I liked it over the other.

message 5: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Marten | 27 comments I like the second cover, but the first font.
It will totally match the vibe of her movement. :-)

message 6: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments I prefer the second cover but the black lettering and font are a little harsh.
I liked the second cover because, looking at her back as she walks away in an informal gait, gives the impression of youth and vulnerability.
Only my view. Will be most interested to see what others can contribute.
How exciting for you! Well done.

message 7: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments Heather wrote: "I like them both, a LOT, but the first one has the edge IMO. :)"

Thanks, I thought so, too. But weirdly enough, most prefer the second. We'll see.

message 8: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments Zara wrote: "I prefer the second cover but the black lettering and font are a little harsh.
I liked the second cover because, looking at her back as she walks away in an informal gait, gives the impression of y..."

Mimi wrote: "I like the second cover, but the first font.
It will totally match the vibe of her movement. :-)"

Aimee wrote: "My favourite cover would have to be the second one. I think it suits the book better then the first one.
Wish you the best of luck with your book!
-Aimee"

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

It seems like most of you prefer the second, but with the first font. I'll see what I can do about that. Expect a third cover with that modification... soon.

message 9: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments Two modified covers are up now. Please check them out and tell me what you think. Thank you in advance.

http://www.kemdiik.com/#!not-so-fragi...

message 10: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments It's a close thing (both good!) but I think I prefer the fourth design because your name is clearer. (The illustration and wording must be seen in a thumbnail size for those surfing for books on Amazon).

I wish you well and look forward to your success.

message 11: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments Zara wrote: "It's a close thing (both good!) but I think I prefer the fourth design because your name is clearer. (The illustration and wording must be seen in a thumbnail size for those surfing for books on Am..."

Thanks for the well-wishes. I'll make sure to take your advice about the title visibility into consideration.

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee | 3 comments I prefer the first one. :) There is something intriguing about the rest, but the red/white effect on the background I find unpleasant.

message 13: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments Tegan wrote: "I prefer the first one. :) There is something intriguing about the rest, but the red/white effect on the background I find unpleasant."

My personal favourite was also the first, but the majority has spoken. I'll wait a few more days to see if there are any more comments before making my final choice.

message 14: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments Hi Kemdi,

Can I suggest that you shrink down your two illustrations to thumbnail size - as would be seen by those surfing Amazon - to see which words look clearer and which illustrations look more appealing.
Just a thought - hope it helps. (You want to ensure your authorial name is clear for marketing your next books).

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily | 80 comments I like the picture on the first one, but I don't like the font.

message 16: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments Zara wrote: "Hi Kemdi,

Can I suggest that you shrink down your two illustrations to thumbnail size - as would be seen by those surfing Amazon - to see which words look clearer and which illustrations look more..."

I've taken your advice and reduced the sizes. Hopefully, this will give people more of an idea. I'll probably make my finally decision by the end of the week.

message 17: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments They look good, don't they?

It's a fine line, (I guess) between the book cover being of a pleasing artistic design and a tool for branding/selling.

I'm almost tempted to say I like the grey font of the title of the no 3 design but your name maybe should be in a bold black instead of white.

Anyway, they all look good. I wish you well.

message 18: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Janetzki (aimeejanetzki) Fourth cover is a winner for me! Good luck with your book :')

message 19: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments Aimee wrote: "Fourth cover is a winner for me! Good luck with your book :')"

Thank you.

message 20: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments A modified cover has been uploaded for those that preferred the first but didn't like the font. Thoughts?

message 21: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments It's a very close thing, but I just prefer the fourth cover.

Let us know, please, how everything turns out.

message 22: by Elesa (new)

Elesa | 16 comments I like the second cover concept but the font on the first one.

message 23: by Elesa (new)

Elesa | 16 comments Whoops! Now I see you already made changes. Now I like the fifth one

message 24: by Nic (new)

Nic (nichumphrey) Ante-synopsis reading:

I like the first cover:

1 - Slightly more intriguing.
2 - Central text is more appealing, and while it obscures her face it doesn't matter, because her face is already obscured by hair. I also like the fonts, and colours chosen.
3 - More accurately represents the title of the book, which seems to be some form of revenge story. So my impression from cover 1 and the title is that she will overcome whatever form of mistreatment in some inspiring way.

If you intend me to think that from the title and cover, then success!

Post-synopsis reading,
I definitely feel cover one most accurately represents your synopsis.

message 25: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Marten | 27 comments My vote is the fourth! :-)))

message 26: by Lyn (new)

Lyn Morris | 19 comments The 4th -The Black writing visually balances with the black in her pants,

message 27: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments Looks like it was a tie between the two covers.

I've decided to go with the first/fifth cover because I feel like it takes into account a lot of the aspects of the story that I'm trying to tell. I've thought through all your opinions and I'll have my designer put everything together. I'll post a link for the final product as soon as it's ready and polished.

As for the fourth cover, I may end up using it for an alternate format (i.e. paperback) if/when that happens.

Thank you for all your input.

message 28: by Peter (new)

Peter Hill (peterlikesbooks) | 13 comments I think I'd go for the first one, they're all good but the first really caught my eye.

message 29: by Nyong (new)

Nyong | 7 comments Cover #1 conveys a more serious tone. Cover #2 is a little younger. That said, I think it depends on what targeted market you're after. But they both looks professional.

message 30: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments The cover's up! I also decided that I'll be releasing the title under a pen name...

All your thoughts helped greatly.

http://www.kemdiik.com/#!not-so-fragi...

message 31: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments How lovely!
Well done you. Good choice from a lot of good covers.
Wishing you great and well deserved success.

message 32: by Kemdi (new)

Kemdi Ik (kemdi_ik) | 23 comments Zara wrote: "How lovely!
Well done you. Good choice from a lot of good covers.
Wishing you great and well deserved success."

Thank you so much.