What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. adult book, victorian english woman recently widowed moves to egypt, falls in love with egyptian politician lobbying for egyptian independence [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book back in 2004. The main character's name is Anne. She's maybe in her early thirties, living in England, and the story is from some point in the victorian era. The story begins with her trying to decide what to do with her life in England after her husband dies. Somehow she ends up going to Egypt with some friends or something. Egypt is currently under English rule and there is a movement to liberate it. Anne's traveling companions are super patronizing to the locals, but she feels a lot of empathy for their plight. She ends up sympathizing with their rebellion, losing most of her proper English friends in the process. She falls in love with one of the leaders of the instigators, and he falls in love with her, and they create a huge stir for being an interracial couple. She ends up staying in Egypt for a longish time. They get married. The part that really sticks out in my mind is a sad scene near the end. Anne is at their home when, unbeknownst to her, her husband is shot and killed. She sees the carriage bearing his body heading towards the house and suddenly she just knows that he is dead and she cries out in a torrent of grief and love and you just know that they were soulmates and it was the saddest and most beautiful thing I had ever read. I think she continues her husbands work, ever after estranged from her home culture.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Shifting Sands?"

Nope, that's not it.. Close matching some of the details, though. Fascinating...
My book is a historical fiction drama, definitely not modern.

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4844 comments The Map of Love The Map of Love by Ahdaf Soueif ?

Remember anything about the cover?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Tab wrote: "The Map of LoveThe Map of Love by Ahdaf Soueif?

Remember anything about the cover?"

THATS IT!!! I did remember the cover :) :) and *completely* forgot the parallel plot with the modern love story. Thanks so much!!

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4844 comments You're welcome :) You gave a really good description, making it pretty easy to track down the book.

Congrats!