ONTD Book Club discussion

What did you read last month - February

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wigs (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Talk to us about your reading adventures!

message 2: by Wigs (last edited Mar 01, 2016 06:40PM) (new)

Me, well, I was bad and didn't finish any books.

However, I started a little true short stories about American history book,

A Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans Pirates, Skinflints, Patriots, and Other Colorful Characters Stuck in the Footnotes of History by Michael Farquhar
A Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans: Pirates, Skinflints, Patriots, and Other Colorful Characters Stuck in the Footnotes of History

It's enjoyable so far, strangely there was a chapter about the Reynolds Pamphlet, if you're familiar with the Hamilton musical. It makes more sense now knowing that (Hamilton wrote the Reynolds Pamphlet after Madison sort of leaked the rumor about the embezzling and a journalist got wind of it and was writing that Alexander was stealing millions so he was like um no but this)

Ah well anyway hopefully I'll be more productive reading wise this month.

message 3: by Andi (last edited Mar 01, 2016 06:31PM) (new)

Andi (nautiluscapt) | 12 comments What did I read? I pretty much slammed dunked the entire Tawny Man Trilogy and Rain Wilds Trilogies by Robin Hobb.

The Complete Tawny Man Trilogy: Fool's Errand, The Golden Fool, Fool's Fate

Rain Wilds Chronicles

I have just started reading her books for the first time back in October and each book is better than the last. However, the Rain Wilds was the first series in a while (of all 16 books) that I gave each one 4/5 stars. The last book had issues. Very rushed in the last 50 pages.

If you're looking for a series that is just as good (or better in my opinion) than Game of Thrones, I strongly recommend looking into her stuff. I love her characters and her female characters are pretty awesome. (Though start the beginning with Assassins Apprentice.)

message 4: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments A mix....

- Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (which I also recommended for the book/movie poll)

- Spice Girls Revisited - I am on this weird nostalgia kick and musician kick so it's all coming together in this book, which was super interesting to someone who wasn't sure how the Spice Girls started or got big

- 438 Days - true story about a guy who lived on a small boat for over a year in the Pacific Ocean after getting pushed out there during a storm. SUPER interesting.

- Stars Above - the short story compilation of the Lunar Chronicles characters. LOVED IT.

- Currently reading You Look Like That Girl, by Lisa Jakub (actress from age 4-22, retired from Hollywood, is now 36). I like BTS stuff, what can I say.

message 5: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments Andi wrote: "What did I read? I pretty much slammed dunked the entire Tawny Man Trilogy and Rain Wilds Trilogies by Robin Hobb.

[book:The Complete Tawny Man Trilogy: Fool's Errand, The Golden Fool, Fool's Fate..."

Oh interesting! I haven't heard of either series but this is a really highly-praised recommendation. I'm going to look into them :)

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (lapetite) | 45 comments Mod
I only read one book. Kings Rising and it was amazing. It was so good I've had a book hangover until a few days ago when I decided to start another book.

message 7: by Wigs (new)

Nicole wrote: "I only read one book. Kings Rising and it was amazing. It was so good I've had a book hangover until a few days ago when I decided to start another book."

Ahaa I should get over myself and just read Captive Prince. I've been hesitant because I've had friends who've read them first and I've heard enough to know it takes them forever to get together and I'm like I don't want to have to wait that long lol

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (lapetite) | 45 comments Mod
Wigs- I get you! The first book is basically a huge set up which can be quite annoying especially when you just want them to DO IT ALREADY, but book 2 is where it is at, trust me. Just get through book one and then in book 2 there will be an excellent pay off :D (also if you can, get book 2's print copy because it has an exclusive scene that you will definitely want and need.)

message 9: by Wigs (new)

oh thank you ! Good to know! that helps, I will consider like ordering the physicals on amazon then!

message 10: by Liesje Leest (new)

Liesje Leest (liesje_leest) | 51 comments My god, I wish I hadden't looked back on my reading this month
><

I read:
Finding Audrey, I love Sophie Kinsella normally but this book is a bit of a let down.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire <3 <3 <3 that was a good one! And proud to say I now read the book in Dutch, English and German. 10 points for me!
Tyranno le terrible A book for 5 year olds? But I'm brushing up my French and it has dinosaurs so win/win. It's pretty cute to be honest but I'm glad to say that my grasp on French is good enough to try something harder.
Halloween Rain A Buffy book. TV show > this book, but even if it was predictable it was fun to read.

I don't know what happend but this month was the month of children's books. I hope that my reading next month will be better (finishing up The Well of Ascension this week!Can't wait).

message 11: by Liesje Leest (new)

Liesje Leest (liesje_leest) | 51 comments Wigs wrote:
[bookcover:A Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans: Pirates, Skin...

That sounds like a really interesting book!

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lee (mlsredhousereviews) | 23 comments Elissa wrote: "A mix....

- Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (which I also recommended for the book/movie poll)

- Spice Girls Revisited - I am on this weird nostalgia kick and musician kick so it's all coming toge..."

Spice Girls! Awesome. I've never heard of that book before. Sounds interesting though.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lee (mlsredhousereviews) | 23 comments I read 4 books in February and 1 audio book.

1. Minor: Volume One: A memoir I was sent for review.
2. Heart of the Matter: I really enjoyed this contemporary. It was my first time reading this author and won't be the last.
3. The Girls from See Saw Lane: I couldn't put this book down. This was my first 5 star book of the year.
4. The Mapmaker's Children: Well researched historical fiction.
5. (Audio) The Secret of the Old Clock: My first time ever reading/listening to a Nancy Drew mystery. It was ok.

message 14: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments I did end up reading everything I planned in February (list here).

The Song of Achilles was my absolute favorite thing I read last month. There were some religious and historical details that she got wrong (some of which I think were on purpose to manufacture drama and angst) but otherwise, I really loved it.

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth was also really fascinating. I feel better armed against overbearing religious family members now, at any rate.

message 15: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Still Alice

This was recommended by a friend, and then I wanted to see the movie as well. It was okay. 3/5 stars. It was interesting to read about how Alzheimer's affects a person, but I didn't like her family members. It was also too depressing for me. The movie, of course did not do the book justice. I thought it was okay and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

message 16: by Carmen (last edited Mar 02, 2016 08:51AM) (new)

Carmen (bindingthepages) I read a mixture of things last month.

Saga, Volume 3 - I love this series like whoa. My grandma, who gave this whole speech about how the only books everyone should read are about politics not long ago, judged me so hard on this one lol.
From Bad to Wurst - I love this series but I wasn't feeling this one at all. Emily's dad's secret accordion skills and the diary entries at the end gave me life though.
Reached - idk what possessed me to read this when I didn't like the second one in the series. I guess I was taking one for the team so one of my friends wouldn't have to read it lol. Anyway, there were some things that made zero sense and I was like ??? for part of the book because of that.
The Fool - This one is a novella prequel to the series and I really liked it!
Extreme Exposure - I didn't really care for this one. It was a thriller meets romance and I just wasn't feeling it at all.

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 52 comments I read:

Library of Souls- I've read the rest of the series, but still spent a while confused at the beginning. Overall, I ended up liking this one. Curious to see how the movie adaptation will be.
American Housewife: Stories - I loved this book of short stories! I'm usually not a huge fan of short stories, but this one I devoured.
Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear - Quick and fun read that is inspiring me to be more creative in my life!

Right now I'm working on The Fever.

message 18: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments Elissa wrote: - "Stars Above - the short story compilation of the Lunar Chronicles characters. LOVED IT."

Wait. I didn't know this existed. Was it released with Winter?

message 19: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (bindingthepages) Amira wrote: "Elissa wrote: - "Stars Above - the short story compilation of the Lunar Chronicles characters. LOVED IT."

Wait. I didn't know this existed. Was it released with Winter?"

It just came out last month! I believe she has a new series in the works too. I want to say it's a take on Alice in Wonderland but I don't even remember where I got that info from so take that part with a grain of salt lol.

message 20: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (bindingthepages) Elissa wrote: "- Spice Girls Revisited - I am on this weird nostalgia kick and musician kick so it's all coming toge..."

Wait, there's a Spice Girls book out?! I need to get my hands on this ASAP.

message 21: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments Carmen wrote: "Wait, there's a Spice Girls book out?! I need to get my hands on this ASAP."

YES!!!! And it's super interesting. I borrowed a copy from my library. I think it just came out last year or the year before.

Amira wrote: Wait. I didn't know this existed. Was it released with Winter?

It was released like 2 or 3 weeks ago? A few of the stories were already released separately but MM wrote some new short stories and added them in there. It's so cute. SO CUTE. And it feels like a better ending that just Winter.

message 22: by bailey (new)

bailey | 11 comments Elissa wrote: "A mix....

- Spice Girls Revisited - I am on this weird nostalgia kick and musician kick so it's all coming toge..."

The Lisa Jakub book looks so interesting! I remember her, I have to check that out.

This month I read:
1. Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins which was alright. I felt like it meant to be a grander book than it actually was.
2. Home is Burning by Dan Marshall. It's his autobiography from the time when both of his parents had terminal illnesses and he moved back home to help. Marshall and his family share my dark sense of humor, and he strikes a good balance between the heavy and the funny.
3. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. Classic mystery, good plot, reeeeallly mysogynistic in the way that you're torn between saying "well that was the time" and just needing to step away for a minute.
4. The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae. A collection of essays, some really funny, some really interesting.

All in all, february was an ok month in books. I hope to read some really good ones in march.

message 23: by sraxe (last edited Mar 02, 2016 07:24PM) (new)

sraxe | 31 comments I read 13 books and DNF'ed 2 last month. The ones I enjoyed the most were We Should All Be Feminists and A Midnight Clear. The ones I disliked the most were Wind Chime Café (soooo much sadness for Americans and the American military, while not even an ounce of consideration for the people in the Middle East and what they've done to them) and Corrupt (which was one of the ones I DNF'ed).

I also read Kings Rising last month. I was pretty disappointed with it. I thought it would be a lot better, but it felt rather anti-climactic to me.

Wigs wrote: "I've been hesitant because I've had friends who've read them first and I've heard enough to know it takes them forever to get together and I'm like I don't want to have to wait that long lol"

That was one of the things I really liked about it! I was afraid the book would end up being a Stockholm Syndrome story, with them getting into a relationship in the midst of Laurent's abuses towards, and mistreatment of, Damen, so I was glad the author held off.

message 24: by Idris (new)

Idris Grey (idrisgrey) | 57 comments Mod
I finished A Criminal Magic by Lee Kelly and The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide in February. I need to pick up momentum on my book-reading if I still want to met my goal. I'm currently reading Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire.

message 25: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments Carmen wrote: "Amira wrote: "Elissa wrote: - "Stars Above - the short story compilation of the Lunar Chronicles characters. LOVED IT."

Wait. I didn't know this existed. Was it released with Winter?"
It just came..."

Elissa wrote: "It was released like 2 or 3 weeks ago? A few of the stories were already released separately but MM wrote some new short stories and added them in there. It's so cute. SO CUTE. And it feels like a better ending that just Winter. "

Okay, I need to get my hands on that ASAP. I really like the Lunar Chronicles series.

message 26: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (historyofsloths) | 8 comments For February, I had the chance to read Dataclysm: Who We Are and it was such a great and quick read. I recommend it for anyone that's interested in data, statistics, and online dating.

message 27: by Andi (new)

Andi (nautiluscapt) | 12 comments Elissa wrote: "Andi wrote: "What did I read? I pretty much slammed dunked the entire Tawny Man Trilogy and Rain Wilds Trilogies by Robin Hobb.

[book:The Complete Tawny Man Trilogy: Fool's Errand, The Golden Fool..."

They are amazing. I actually got interested in them due to GRRM's love for the books and wanted to know if they were like his and they were! Once you meet Fitz and the Fool, you're sucked into a hole of feelings and prophecies. Enjoy!

message 28: by Thania (last edited Mar 03, 2016 10:08PM) (new)

Thania (misha4ever) | 23 comments Mod
So I didn't have internet for 4 days... I read An Ember in the Ashes, The Little Stranger and Cold Comfort Farm.

And I feel extremely lucky because they were all really good. The Little Stranger was fantastic, slow but scary (at least the few scary parts were good) and Cold Comfort had me rolling of laugh. Ember is, for now, one of those few YA books that are decent and entertaining. So I recommend all of these books.

message 29: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (nadiacee) | 14 comments Andi wrote: "What did I read? I pretty much slammed dunked the entire Tawny Man Trilogy and Rain Wilds Trilogies by Robin Hobb.

[book:The Complete Tawny Man Trilogy: Fool's Errand, The Golden Fool, Fool's Fate..."

The Assassin trilogy, Liveship Chronicles, and Tawny Man trilogy are some of my all time favorite series. (Although the Liveship Chronicles... lost me in the end.)

Unfortunately the new Fitz and The Fool trilogy is... incredibly disappointing so far. Its such a shame and really makes me sad. I was so so excited when I heard she was bringing them back.

message 30: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (nadiacee) | 14 comments I started reading The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse (Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless #1) I think I saw it in an ONTD book post? Anyway its a Nancy Drew spoof with mostly lesbian and gay characters. Its sweet and funny. I've been enjoying it a lot.

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
Cahe wrote: "

The Song of Achilles was my absolute favorite thing I read last month...."

Swoon!! So great.

message 32: by Jess (new)

Zoe Elizabeth wrote: "Right now I'm working on The Fever."

I read that at the beginning of last year. I hated it!

message 33: by Jess (new)

MHJ wrote: "So I didn't have internet for 4 days... I read An Ember in the Ashes, The Little Stranger and Cold Comfort Farm.

And I feel extremely lucky because they..."

I really like Cold Comfort Farm. The movie is pretty good too.

message 34: by Jess (new)

I read a lot in February - 14 books total, although a few were really short.

I read A Discovery of Witches and both the sequels, which took most of the month up since each one is about 800 pages.

Crazy Rich Asians... finally.

A Story Lately Told: Coming of Age in Ireland, London, and New York - Great if you like lists of things, places, and people. It read like someone's drunken aunt telling half-stories after a big dinner and too much gin.

I read a few Dr Seuss books to see what to get for my niece. I also read a few how-to books: decorating, knitting, braids, etc.

I DNF'ed one book: Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef. It was so bad. Ugh.

message 35: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments Jess wrote: "Cahe wrote: "

The Song of Achilles was my absolute favorite thing I read last month...."

Swoon!! So great."

Yes! I'm so glad that ONTD told me about it. :D

message 36: by Andi (new)

Andi (nautiluscapt) | 12 comments Nadia wrote: The Assassin trilogy, Liveship Chronicles, and Tawny Man trilogy are some of my all time favorite series. (Although the Liveship Chronicles... lost me in the end.)

Unfortunately the new Fitz and The Fool trilogy is... incredibly disappointing so far. Its such a shame and really makes me sad. I was so so excited when I heard she was bringing them back.

I loved them all up until the newest trilogy. It's so hard to get through this one (Fool's Quest) because I feel like the story is so blah. Like everything is getting wrapped up. I just feel like I'm getting a present that is long overdue but hastily wrapped without a lot of care. So I totally agree with you. It's disappointing me how how much the Fool has turned into a whiny snit and Fitz has gotten dumber?

message 37: by Idris (new)

Idris Grey (idrisgrey) | 57 comments Mod
Jess wrote: "I read a lot in February - 14 books total, although a few were really short.

I read A Discovery of Witches and both the sequels, which took most of the month up since each one is a..."

I have A Discovery of Witches on my TBR shelf. Is it good? I love a witch novel. I'm considering going for The Witches of Cambridge, too.

Somebody mentioned a Spice Girls book? It's now on my TBR list. I love reading about cultural phenomena.

I've been meaning to read Song of Achilles for years, so I'll have to try that as well. Next on my reading queue are Rook by Sharon Cameron, Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, and More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera.

message 38: by Jess (new)

I really liked A Discovery of Witches. It got a little meh as the series went on for me - but I'm also not a marriage + baby = happy ending. That was a little too romance novelish for me.
The main character is interesting - she's a witch and a historian of science, specifically alchemy. The alchemy part is what got me. I studied it a bit in college.

message 39: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments I've been wondering how you go about reviewing books but wasn't sure where to ask. (maybe we could do a general discussion thread?)

When you go to review, even just give it a star rating, do you rate on how well you enjoyed the book or on how technically good a book was?

For example, there are books that I loved- that seriously just pushed all my buttons or just did something for me, but I know that they're badly written, cliched, whatever.

message 40: by sraxe (last edited Mar 08, 2016 04:53PM) (new)

sraxe | 31 comments Cahe wrote: "I've been wondering how you go about reviewing books but wasn't sure where to ask. (maybe we could do a general discussion thread?)

When you go to review, even just give it a star rating, do you r..."

I think this would be a good general discussion thread!

But to answer your question, I tend to rate on how I'm feeling rather than specific technicalities (though I will modify if there are certain things that really stuck out). I used to go more technical when deciding ratings but then I usually ended up modifying it at a later date when wondering how in the heck I ever rated it a certain way. Like I said, I also modify slightly depending on writing. Regardless of if I absolutely loved the book otherwise, if the author had a ton of spelling/grammar/continuity errors, I'll generally drop a star (which I'll usually mention in my review).

I finished a book recently and, while neither the story nor writing were horrible, there were little aspects of it that affected me on a personal level and really angered me, which had me rating it a one in the end because I just didn't have a good time reading it.

message 41: by Wigs (last edited Mar 08, 2016 06:26PM) (new)

Cahe wrote: "I've been wondering how you go about reviewing books but wasn't sure where to ask. (maybe we could do a general discussion thread?)

When you go to review, even just give it a star rating, do you r..."

Definitely how I liked it.

I gave Modelland three stars and it's written like absolute shit. Actually I wanted to give it four stars it was such a good hot mess.
I was too embarrassed though lol.

And like I've def given classical literature like meh stars.

I would definitely stick to personal opinion too because in the end what matters to me is how much I liked it, not how technically executed it is. For the most part though, I do find that writing style does effect my enjoyment and sometimes they go hand in hand. But for the times that it doesn't, go with the heart etc.

message 42: by Claire (new)

Claire (polarlove) | 5 comments 1. Him I gave this 3 stars (that's a pretty good rating for me haha) but I barely even remember it now, and there was a lot of talk about hockey which I wasn't interested in
2. The Royal We I loved the idea of this book, but it was way longer than it needed to be. It did pick up in the last part, I wish the whole book could have been like that.
3. Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List I can't resist reading anything David Levithan. This one was weird though, and I didn't really relate to any of the characters
4. Me Before You This was the best book I read last month, however it didn't go how I expected at all
5. November 9 I was expecting a little more because of all the high scoring reviews, but it was an enjoyable read

I also started Wuthering Heights last month, but it's taking me forever to get through as I have to wait until I can really sit down and concentrate on it, I can't just pick it up to fill 5 or 10 minutes like I usually do with books.

message 43: by Wigs (new)

also just jumping in to point out goodreads changed the top menu stuff look at that!

question:

has anyone here read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell? Thoughts? worth the long read? One of my good friends did a series of illustrations for it and it made me curious.

also i'm mad at myself because i wanted to ask y'all about another book that most of you probably have read and i haven't and i don't remember anymore. ah well.

message 44: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsaymccomber) | 6 comments It is a LONG read and took some (a lot) of time to really pick up, but once it did I was really into it. Also, I read it before I got more into this type of storytelling, so I might enjoy it more now than I did then.

Has anyone watched the miniseries?

Wigs wrote:
question:

has anyone here read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell? Thoughts? worth the long read? One of my good..."

message 45: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments Claire wrote: "1. Him I gave this 3 stars (that's a pretty good rating for me haha) but I barely even remember it now, and there was a lot of talk about hockey which I wasn't interested in
2. [boo..."

Wuthering Heights is best read in little bites, anyway, imo! The first 60 pages are the hardest to get through, but it's amazing after that.

I enjoyed Me Before You, too. I'm guessing you're talking about the ending? Hah, definitely controversial, but I really liked it.

message 46: by Z (new)

Z (ladybellatrix) I read or I should say finished China Rich Girlfriend finally.

Not nearly as fun as the first one.

message 47: by Andi (new)

Andi (nautiluscapt) | 12 comments Wigs wrote: "has anyone here read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell? Thoughts? worth the long read? One of my good friends did a series of illustrations for it and it made me curious."

Chime me in with the others who read JS&MN. I know that it is certainly not for everyone, you have to somewhat be a fan of prose and regency prose at that. Some people were also turned off by the footnotes. I, however, loved the footnotes. Overall, I found it a fresh take on the idea if magic existed in regency times, how would it look? I enjoyed the book so much that I quickly ordered the second book (full of fables and such that were alluded to in the footnotes). I haven't watched the mini-series yet, but I did buy it. ... rambly, there you go. :)

message 48: by Wigs (new)

Thanks for the opinions guys! (and if anyone else wants to mention more feel free, I'm still deciding)

question 2: have any of y'all tried audible.com, use audible.com etc?

I wear headphones at work 8 hours a day and since my work is photo editing I could listen to words and still pay attention. I'm wondering if audiobooks is the way to go.

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lee (mlsredhousereviews) | 23 comments Wigs wrote: "Thanks for the opinions guys! (and if anyone else wants to mention more feel free, I'm still deciding)

question 2: have any of y'all tried audible.com, use audible.com etc?

I wear headphones at w..."

No I haven't tried audible myself, but I'm curious about it. Is it open to use for Canadians? I listen to audio books once in a while from my library on Overdrive.

message 50: by Wigs (last edited Mar 12, 2016 08:25AM) (new)

Okay since I made that comment I found out it was /not/ the Spotify of books, I'm disappointed. Like I thought you could sit there and stream any book. That would have been amazing. Ah well. I did the free trial anyway for now and I got the American Gods that's narrated by four people who do all the voices. I've already read the book but I thought that sounded fun and I sort of wanted to go over it again before the tv show comes out.

I was originally considering Alexander Hamilton for our book of the month but I listened to the sample and was like I don't think I could listen to this guy and stay awake for forty hours or whatever lol.

« previous 1