dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2362 comments Mod
Our M-o-M for March 2016 is Warren.

Warren ... take a moment (or three) to answer these questions:

1. Significant other? Children? Pets?

2. What do you do for a living?

3. What is your favorite color?

4. What destination would be your dream vacation?

5. What is your favorite book genre?

6. Who are three of your favorite authors?

7. What's your favorite word?

8. What actress/actor should play you a film in your life story?

9. Will you tell us a funny or favorite story about yourself?

10. What are your hobbies?

11. Where is your favorite place to read?

12. What is your favorite sport to watch or play?

13. What was your favorite subject in school?

14. How are you creative?

15. What is your favorite sandwich?

16. What do you think is your very best feature or characteristic?

17. If you could throw any kind of party, what would it be like and what would it be for?

18. If you could paint a picture of anything, what would you paint?

19. If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet?

20. What’s your favorite comfort food?

BONUS Tell us three things about yourself not covered in these questions.

message 2: by Warren (new)

Warren Benton | 75 comments 1. Significant other? Check
Children? 2 teenage boys
Pets? 100lb boxer who thinks he is a lap dog

2. What do you do for a living?
Technical illustrator for the Coast Guard

3. What is your favorite color? Gray

4. What destination would be your dream vacation? somewhere
serene and quiet

5. What is your favorite book genre? Non-fiction: history,
psychology, sociology, biographies

6. Who are three of your favorite authors?
Malcolm Gladwell
A.J. Jacobs
Erik Larson
(throwing in a 4th since my top 3 were all non-fiction writers)
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child- I have really enjoyed the Pendergast series

7. What's your favorite word? I have nothing here.. maybe I will try to come up with something over the month.

8. What actress/actor should play you a film in your life story?
I dont watch a lot of movies or TV so I cant really think of anyone. Maybe Jemaine Clement awkward and funny but most people dont get it.

9. Will you tell us a funny or favorite story about yourself?
Being a child of the 80's Beverly hills cop was a big movie. Well the theme song Axel F, I didn't realize it stood for Axel Foley until well into the 90's.

10. What are your hobbies? I really enjoy reading. Lots and lots of reading. I also love listening to music.

11. Where is your favorite place to read? Before bed every single night.

12. What is your favorite sport to watch or play? I have always loved basketball even though I am a vertically challenged white dude who gravity holds close to the ground.

13. What was your favorite subject in school? History, and PE well thats what i like to remember were my favorite subjects some 15 years ago.....

14. How are you creative? I am not. Its funny being someone who draws for a living, but i am not creative I am technical.

15. What is your favorite sandwich? I enjoy my home made Chicken Philly's (had them tonight actually)

16. What do you think is your very best feature or characteristic?
This question is a double edge sword. I am quick witty and often funny. But sometimes it comes across as being a jerk. Which I also am sometimes!

17. If you could throw any kind of party, what would it be like and what would it be for? Party for one.... sort of antisocial and really do not like parties

18. If you could paint a picture of anything, what would you paint? I would love to paint anything with the passion of Bob Ross. Regardless of what he was painting he always seemed to be enjoying it.

19. If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet? I would love to meet my dad (died a month before I was born). Pretty much anyone who lived through war, like the revolutionary war, civil war, or someone from Europe that lived through the world wars. The sheer will to push forward even when everything around you has been destroyed something I always wonder if I would be cut out to experience or if I would just give up.

20. What’s your favorite comfort food?
I LOVE LOVE LOVE pizza. I used to really enjoy ice cream. Last time sent me into atrial flutter (so cardiologist says no more ice cream).

BONUS Tell us three things about yourself not covered in these questions.

I absolutely hated reading growing up. I probably only read 6 books from childhood through highschool. Now I have been reading 50+ a year for the last few years.

My dream job would be a Disc jockey. I would love to work for a radiostation. Maybe public radio where we could play anything and introduce lots of people to great music.

My All time favorite books are
Fahrenheit 451
Washington: A Life
The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible
Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President
The Fault in Our Stars (in this book there have a support group for all the kids, well I had open heart surgery when I was 6 and through my teenage years we had a support group for all of us kids in the zipper club that had our hearts worked on, so this book really hit close to home)

message 3: by Diana S (new)

Diana S | 3 comments Hi Warren,
I have a few questions for you.

In question #6 - I read that Erik Larson is one of your favorite author. Which are your favorite books by this author? I absolutely enjoyed In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin and Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania.

#10 - We learned that you enjoy listening to music. Do you enjoy all types of music genres? Or, Do you have a particular favorite?

#12 - Basketball, Do you have a favorite team? I'm a Spurs Fan.

#18 - Bob Ross, that brings back memories. I remember seeing his PBS shows on Saturday, when I was younger. Did you watch any of his shows?

#20 - Pizza! Yum! - Any special place to get your pie?

Thanks for sharing parts of your life! :D

message 4: by Warren (new)

Warren Benton | 75 comments #6
Erik Larson book that I most enjoyed was The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America. I love how Larson always follows one person with the main story line but has a secondary but equally interesting story going at the same time.
I listen to lots of types of music. I get on jazz kicks or classical kicks. I used to be big into the blues. Now mostly lots of singer/songwriter. mostly stuff that is never very popular.
Ray Lamontange, the bahamas, Soulive, Dave Matthews Band, the eels are just a few of the bandsI listen to often.
I also am a spurs fan. started when I was 16 and they had David Robinson and Tim Duncan's early years. I liked the team mentality that Coach Popovich still instills into his players.
I still love PBS.
The pizza place we go to in my town is a family owned place called Tony's. Never anything fancy just a plain cheese pizza.

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2362 comments Mod
#19 and #20

Come to Milwaukee and meet my husband - a Vietnam vet who stepped on a land mine in 1966. AND .. he had ablation for atrial flutter a couple of years ago (never linked to ice cream, though).

message 6: by Warren (new)

Warren Benton | 75 comments I just won another book from the goodreads giveaways. This is the 9th book I have won.

I am pretty stoked.

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway