The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
MARCH MADNESS!! The voting for April's book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 176 (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:32PM) (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1699 comments Mod
So, thanks to Rob for reminding me! We've decided to do a little March Madness contest for the April fantasy pick. Here's how it works:

Pick 1 (one) fantasy book that you would like to read. Leave it as a comment in this thread.

On Friday the 4th I will pick the top 16 selections, and they'll enter the (Leigh) Brackets! Hehe.

We're selecting bracket software now, but we'll update you guys with the voting procedures shortly!

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1152 comments A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

message 3: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2867 comments "...they'll enter the (Leigh) Brackets! "

Nerd.

(Sounds like fun)

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2867 comments Daniel José Older, Shadowshaper

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 52 comments Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

Or anything by Peter S. Beagle, really.

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Durarara!! x1 by Ryohgo Narita

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I'll second The Aeronaut's Windlass and Shadowshaper

The Black Company

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments Is steampunk fantasy? I think of it as fantasy so Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear.

If not, I'll pick something else.

message 13: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle | 69 comments Seraphina by Rachel Hartman.

message 14: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 428 comments Michele wrote: "Is steampunk fantasy? I think of it as fantasy so Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear.

If not, I'll pick something else."

Looks like fantasy to me.

message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewdl) | 341 comments A Book of Tongues

It's a dark fantasy/wierd west novel with gunslingers, witches, and old gods.

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1152 comments Sky wrote: "Assassin's Apprentice"

We read that a couple years ago Sky. You might want to nominate something else.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1152 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Dragonflight"

We also did Dragonflight a couple years ago.

message 20: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3597 comments Mod
For those of us that "March Madness" means absolutely nothing, could someone give a brief explanation.

I assume the 16 will be grouped into (4 groups of 4), then how does it work?

message 21: by J (new)

J Oliveira | 38 comments Tassie , it is like an elimination tournament , 16 teams that will be divided into brackets and go head to head , in the first round 8 will advance and then 4 and so on until the final 2 meet for the last game (vote in this case , I guess ) .

message 22: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Mar 02, 2016 12:09AM) (new)

Ok Thanks. :-)

I keep hearing about the Malazan series from friends and want to read it eventually, so I'll nominate Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

message 23: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 838 comments I'll nominate Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff.

message 24: by Kevin (last edited Mar 02, 2016 02:15AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Ok Thanks. :-)

I keep hearing about the Malazan series from friends and want to read it eventually, so I'll nominate Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson"

There have been many other groups that have read it.

message 25: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6885 comments Mod
Oh cool Veronica, I'm glad my reminder paid off.

Man it's so hard to pick just one to nominate though. I like the Malazan idea, or Dark Tower which is one of my all time favorites.

But I think I'm going to nominate Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan.

Mr. Sullivan has been on the show once or twice, is active on Goodreads and I really enjoy his Riyria books. And the narrator is fantastic for anyone who does audio.

message 26: by TRP (new)

TRP Watson (trpw) | 213 comments I'm not sure that this is exactly fantasy but The Evolution Man: Or, How I Ate My Father is a comic tale about cavemen.

Also have we done The Princess Bride?

message 27: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Mar 02, 2016 05:34AM) (new)

TRP wrote: "Also have we done The Princess Bride?"

Yes back in September of 2010
http://swordandlaser.wikia.com/wiki/T...

Full list of books we have read is here:
http://swordandlaser.wikia.com/wiki/B...

message 28: by Silvana (new)

message 29: by Adam (new)

Adam Gutschenritter (heregrim) | 114 comments Kushiel's Dart is my vote

message 31: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Silvana wrote: "The Mirror Empire by the amazing Kameron Hurley"

This.

message 32: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Dara wrote: "The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin."

This.

message 34: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments I'd be happy discussing the already-nominated The Mirror Empire or The Fifth Season. But I nominate Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner.

message 36: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 838 comments Dara wrote: "The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin."

We already read a book by N.K. Jemisin. That doesn't mean we can't read another one of course, just saying.

message 37: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Anne wrote: "Dara wrote: "The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin."

We already read a book by N.K. Jemisin. That doesn't mean we can't read another one of course, just saying."

I'm aware. The Fifth Season was such a wonderful book and would prompt a lot of interesting discussion.

message 40: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Joanna wrote: "But I nominate Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner."

Co-signed.

message 41: by Kelli (new)

Kelli C (kellimcassell) | 73 comments I've been wanting to read Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone

...but I wouldn't be sad about The Fifth Season

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyabear) | 44 comments I'll vote for Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone too.

message 43: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 487 comments I would love an excuse (not that I need one) to re-read The Eyre Affair. This one has both Sci-Fi/Fantasy elements that I think this group would enjoy.

message 44: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments So many good suggestions!

message 45: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1699 comments Mod
Joanna wrote: "I'd be happy discussing the already-nominated The Mirror Empire or The Fifth Season. But I nominate Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner."

Hmm... I already lemmed that for Vaginal Fantasy.

message 46: by William (new)

William | 429 comments A classic: Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce. A short but beautiful book.

message 47: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 88 comments Dreamer's Pool by Juliet Marillier

message 48: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1339 comments I nominate Prince of Fools, the first book in the series. This series is more accessible than Mark Lawrence Broken Empire Trilogy.

message 50: by David (new)

David | 67 comments Clyde wrote: "The Deed of Paksenarrion"

Great trilogy (and omnibus) but I think it probably needs to be kept to Sheepfarmer's Daughter for a monthly pick.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.