Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

MOVIE NIGHT: ARCHIVED > #7: Reading Divas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Gisbelle (last edited Mar 03, 2016 06:09PM) (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Movie Night #7
Team 2

Team Leader: Christina
Team Members:

description Jessie
description Meri Kate
description Hannah
description Isabelle

message 2: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments Hopefully everyone is participating. Last month too many people backed out.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments I love this challenge. Hi everyone!!

Jessie (Saffity) (saffity) | 563 comments Hello! Signing in!

message 5: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments We need to start thinking about a team name.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments And a team leader

message 7: by Meri Kate (new)

Meri Kate (booksandsunshine) | 7 comments Hello everyone! I'm pretty excited. It's my first time doing this challenge. :-)

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments I'm not that creative. The suggestion I have is reading divas.

message 9: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments Christina and I each were a team leader last month so either one of us can do it again.

message 10: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments Reading Divas sounds good to me.

message 11: by Jessie (Saffity) (new)

Jessie (Saffity) (saffity) | 563 comments I like Reading Divas! I'm good with whoever wants to be leader that is not me :)

message 12: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments Christina you want to be tesm leader?

We need to think of some movie suggestions. Those have to be sent out tonight.

We also need to ask Gisbelle about replacing Isabelle.

message 13: by Jessie (Saffity) (new)

Jessie (Saffity) (saffity) | 563 comments I suggest Labyrinth!!

message 14: by Isabelle (last edited Mar 03, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Isabelle Ley | 667 comments Hi no I'm here sorry we actually moved into our new house yeaterday and there is no WiFi and my data wasn't working but now it is. I really am sorry. It sometimes is difficult to get on at a good time as I am on another continent, if I have already been replaced that is okay, but I thought I had until today.

message 15: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments Sure I can be team leader. And no worries Isabelle you are still in the group :)

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments I suggest taken.

message 17: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments I suggest Simply Irresistible.

message 18: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Ley | 667 comments Yay! Thanks! I'm sorry! I will be able to participate.

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments I am still thinking of different team names. What about Master Readers, Silent Readers.

message 20: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Mar 03, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments I only suggested replacing you because if you hadn't posted by tonight Gisbelle was going to replace you anyways.

message 21: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Ley | 667 comments I like Reading Divas, but I like Silent Readers too; it's funny.

message 22: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Ley | 667 comments No I understand. You would need someone to fill my spot, so you could be competitive in the competition. I'm sorry I seemed like a major flake. :(

message 23: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments Winning isn't everything. At least to me.

message 24: by Jessie (Saffity) (new)

Jessie (Saffity) (saffity) | 563 comments But team challenges are always more fun with more people. I'm glad you are able to join us Isabelle, I hope your move went well!

message 25: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments Meri Kate and Isabelle what are your movie suggestions and your opinion on a team name? Both of those need to be in by today.

message 26: by Meri Kate (new)

Meri Kate (booksandsunshine) | 7 comments As far as the team name goes, I personally like the Reading Divas suggestion. For the movie, I am picking Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, if that's okay. I wasn't sure about the criteria for the movie we pick. This is my first time doing this.

message 27: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments I like Reading Divas too.

message 28: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments Ok so it looks like everyone like reading divas, so that will be our group name. Isabelle do you have a book suggestion?

message 29: by Isabelle (last edited Mar 03, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Isabelle Ley | 667 comments Can I choose The Fantastic Four (2005)?

message 30: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments Ok sounds good I will send Gisebelle a message.

message 31: by Meri Kate (new)

Meri Kate (booksandsunshine) | 7 comments Do I need to message my movie to you as well, Christina, or is it alright that I just posted it on here?

message 32: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments Nope on here is fine. I already sent in our info

message 33: by Jessie (Saffity) (new)

Jessie (Saffity) (saffity) | 563 comments Whoohoo!! Let the fun begin!

message 34: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments The first movie will be posted March 4th. If someone sees it before me please post it on here. And let the fun begin!!!

message 35: by Meri Kate (new)

Meri Kate (booksandsunshine) | 7 comments Alright! So did they get our group name or are we stuck as group 2? Was it sent in with the movie suggestions?

message 36: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments Yes it was sent in with the movie suggestions.

message 37: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Mar 04, 2016 05:14PM) (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments Weekly Requirements

Genre: Action or historical fiction
Cover: A man or a weapon
Plot: Slavery
Title: Gladiator
Name: Ridley, David, Russell, Joaquin, & Connie
Setting: Italy or Published 2000

Hidden Words: blood, revenge, famous, leg and horse.

message 38: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7258 comments I'm going to do City of Masks (Stravaganza, #1) by Mary Hoffman .

Genre: Historical Fiction (1 point)
Cover: Man (2 points)
Name: David (5 points)
Setting: Italy (6 points)
Hidden Words: blood, leg, horse (3 points)

Total: 17 points

message 39: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments I just got off of work. I will start looking.

message 40: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments Point System
This point system will tell you how many points you can earn for your team.

description Individual Points
Genre: if your chosen book is in the same genre as one given, you'll earn 1 point
Cover: if the cover of your chosen book fits the requirement, you'll earn 2 points
Plot: if your chosen book fits at least one of the plots given, you'll earn 3 points
Title: if at least one word in the title of your chosen book matches the words given, you'll earn 4 points
Name: if at one name of the main characters in your chosen book, or the name of the author is the same as the name given, you'll earn 5 points
Setting: if the setting (place or published year) fits the requirement, you'll earn 6 points

Hidden Words: each week 5 words will be given. All you need to do to find them in the book you have chosen for bonus points. One word will earn you 1 point

description Team Points
Extra points will be awarded to the team if everyone in the team finishes their book within:

Day 1 or 2 = 3pt
Day 3 or 4 = 2pt
Day 5 or 6 = 1pt
Day 7+ = no extra point

message 41: by Jessie (Saffity) (new)

Jessie (Saffity) (saffity) | 563 comments From what I've found Fight for Freedom (Gladiator, #1) by Simon Scarrow looks like the most points (20 or higher) sadly, my library doesn't have it available for ebooks so I'll have to find something else

message 42: by Meri Kate (new)

Meri Kate (booksandsunshine) | 7 comments Hmmmm....I will begin brainstorming for my book tomorrow. I'll try for as many of the criteria as I can.

message 43: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Ley | 667 comments I'm looking at a couple of books, we'll see which ones my library has.

message 44: by Jessie (Saffity) (last edited Mar 05, 2016 07:41AM) (new)

Jessie (Saffity) (saffity) | 563 comments I'm going to go with David by Mary Hoffman I think it's 14 points without hidden words.

message 45: by Isabelle (last edited Mar 05, 2016 02:21PM) (new)

Isabelle Ley | 667 comments I'll read Fight for Freedom (Gladiator, #1) by Simon Scarrow

Genre: Historical Fiction (1 point)
Cover: A man (2 points)
Plot: Slavery (3 points)
Setting: Italy (6 points)

Total: 12-17 points

Also, does it count if the title word is part of the series name?

message 46: by Meri Kate (last edited Mar 05, 2016 05:56PM) (new)

Meri Kate (booksandsunshine) | 7 comments I am having a hard time finding a historical fiction that will earn a lot of points from my collection. I would be willing to see if the Nook Store has anything if there are any suggestions. I enjoy MG and YA. If I can't come up with anything better over the weekend, I might just go with Jackaby (Jackaby, #1) by William Ritter .

It would get me points for being historical fiction and having a man on the cover. Nothing for the plot or title. Could possibly get points for names or hidden words but I am not sure.

message 47: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments I am having a hard time also. I am going to look tomorrow, to see if I see anything.

message 48: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments Ok I am going to read the coin horse. Sorry I am on my phone so can't put up the details. I will put them up tomorrow.

message 49: by Isabelle (new)

message 50: by Christina (new)

Christina | 405 comments How is everyone doing with their books? I am halfway done. Hopefully will finish tomorrow.

« previous 1 3