Doorways in the Sand discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikhail (new)

Mikhail | 25 comments Hello all! Carol invited me in, possibly because I've been haunting her blog for too long. So, to introduce myself, my name is Mikhail, I'm a history nut, and this will be my first Zelazny book, though I've had the Nine Princes in Amber on my "to-read" for, oh, *entirely* too long. So, looking forward to it!

message 2: by Karl (new)

Karl -- Hi, I was also invited by Carol, perhaps due to our mutual love of spiders. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Zelazny twice, once here in Phoenix at a science fiction convention, and the second time in Los Angeles at an American Book Sellers Convention. I gathered all of my unsigned Zelazny book together and dragged them to L.A. to get them signed. I also had the opportunity to have a nice chat with Mr. Zelazny. He was a most gracious and friendly person and was most happy to sign the books. --

message 3: by carol. (new)

carol. | 89 comments Mod
I'm kind of excited for this--off the top of my head I sent invites either to friends who had reviews of this and enjoyed it, or people who love classic sci-fi or people I thought would like it. If you know of others, feel free to invite. I just want to share and digest a great book with other book-lovers.

Note--I didn't invite Karl just because I covet his signed hardcover copy of this book. I envy you your copies, Karl. I didn't understand the signing thing when I was younger--books seemed so permanent. It took me awhile to discover the horrors of a loved book becoming out-of-print. There's still a Zelazny I want to read but haven't found... must go searching again.

About me--I grew up in the 80s haunting a small local library, so I read almost everything in the sci-fi/fantasy section. Zelazny was one of my favorites for the Nine Princes in Amber and eventually spent hard-earned babysitting money on an Amber omnibus. When I got older, I re-read and discovered so much I underappreciated. Doorways is one of them--I think it is a bit silly/absurd, ala Hitchhikers or Pratchett, and yet hits on a bunch of truths. A mystery at the core gives it direction.

message 4: by Karl (last edited Mar 01, 2016 06:05PM) (new)

Karl Carol. wrote: "I'm kind of excited for this--off the top of my head I sent invites either to friends who had reviews of this and enjoyed it, or people who love classic sci-fi or people I thought would like it. If..."

-- If "Doorways" reminds me of any other book I would have to pick "Alice in Wonderland" or "Alice Through The looking Glass" --

message 5: by Mikhail (new)

Mikhail | 25 comments I too am jealous of signed books. Alas, when Mr. Zelazny passed away, I was only just learning to read, so this was not an option. It would seem that I'm the young 'un around here.

Amy (Other Amy) | 12 comments Hello, every one. I somehow missed Zelazny's work completely coming up, even though I was another who devoured my little public library and a couple of school libraries. This book was one of my absolute favorites last year and I'm really excited about this. (I love the comparison to Hitchhikers and Wonderland, both.)

message 7: by carol. (new)

carol. | 89 comments Mod
Karl--you are right, there is a sort of similarity to Alice. I can't think of what I was thinking of in my review when I mentioned Bradbury. Maybe that whiff of evil and the lyricism.

message 8: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (1stavenue) | 3 comments Hi, everyone! Thanks for the invite, Carol!

I'm no good at introductions--never know what to say--but I'm looking forward to this group read. Has a date been set yet? I finished the book only a few months ago and loved it. Can't wait to reread.

message 9: by Gene (new)

Gene Thanks for the invite Carol! I was going to reread the book "any time soon". Luckily now "soon" will come in the near future :)

message 10: by Athena (new)

Athena (athenapn) | 18 comments Hi all and thanks Carol for inviting me! Like Mimi I'm no good at intros & am really looking forward to the group read (my first).

I read Zelazny's Amber series in the 70s and don't remember the series well 'tho I just re-read Nine Princes. A Night in the Lonesome October is my favorite Zelazny, totally because of the laughs. I don't think I've read Doorways, really looking forward to it!

message 11: by Janie (new)

Janie C. Hello, everyone. Thank you for inviting me to the group, Karl! Karl knows my tastes in literature well, and I am really looking forward to reading Doorways in the Sand. I have not read anything by Mr. Zelazny before, so I read some excerpts from the book before I ordered it. I think I'm going to really like it. :)

Somebody loves spiders?

message 12: by carol. (new)

carol. | 89 comments Mod
A big fat 'no' on the spiders, but I was trying to convince Karl that I love and respect all life and was in no way threatening him over his book. :)

Mimi--we were talking April 1st-ish, I believe.

message 13: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 5 comments Hi all and thanks Carol for the invite. This could be the first book of Zelazny I read, and I'm looking forward to start and discuss it with all of you. If I can, I hope to read some other novel before, for familiarize with Zelazny's style.

message 14: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (1stavenue) | 3 comments Carol. wrote: "Mimi--we were talking April 1st-ish, I believe."

Sounds good! I'll clear my schedule for April in case we decide to read more Zelazny.

message 15: by carol. (new)

carol. | 89 comments Mod
You are too funny, Mimi. I need a flash group for "To Say Nothing of the Dog."

message 16: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (1stavenue) | 3 comments Count me in? :D

message 17: by Athena (new)

Athena (athenapn) | 18 comments Carol. wrote: "A big fat 'no' on the spiders … :)"

But they love you! ;)
(I had a pet tarantula as a kid, she was sweet although granted, creepy-looking climbing around on my arm. No wonder I read so much UF/SF!)

message 18: by carol. (new)

carol. | 89 comments Mod
Really? What did you name it? I had lizards, amphibians, etc. but could never, ever wrap my brain around having a pet tarantula. O_O
Although Hines' Libriomancer series has a fire spider that's fun. I'd give him a shot.

message 19: by Janie (last edited Mar 04, 2016 02:25AM) (new)

Janie C. I had a tarantula named Lucy (she was a rosehair) who would cruise around on my hands and arms. My husband and I have four tarantulas now, but we don't handle them. Plenty of snakes and lizards, too, but no amphibians.

message 20: by Mikhail (new)

Mikhail | 25 comments This is both adorable and profoundly terrifying to me. Oh arachnaphobia...

message 21: by Janie (new)

Janie C. Mikhail, I was very nervous about holding my first tarantula. But it was actually a quite pleasant experience. Not that I'm encouraging you to try it. ;)

message 22: by Mikhail (new)

Mikhail | 25 comments With all due respect, I'll stick to spaniels. Equally fuzzy, better eye-to-limb ratio.

message 23: by Janie (new)

Janie C. And only two eyes, too!

message 24: by carol. (new)

carol. | 89 comments Mod
Lol!!

message 25: by fromcouchtomoon (new)

fromcouchtomoon (couchtomoon) | 2 comments Hello! Looking forward to joining this group. I am somewhat new to Zelazny, read This Immortal a few months ago, and am currently reading the Nebula '6s this year, so this book happened to be on my TBR for the month. Thanks to Carol for inviting me!

For the record, I'm non-partisan in spider politics: I'm of the "have-held-a-tarantula-before" bloc, but it was under supervision. They can live at my house, but only one at time, no parties, and they get the broom if they step beyond the threshold of the garage.

message 26: by Janie (last edited Mar 30, 2016 05:18AM) (new)

Janie C. fromcouchtomoon wrote: "Hello! Looking forward to joining this group. I am somewhat new to Zelazny, read This Immortal a few months ago, and am currently reading the Nebula '6s this year, so this book happened to be on my..."

If they live in your garage, they've already had parties. Yes ...THEY.

message 27: by fromcouchtomoon (new)

fromcouchtomoon (couchtomoon) | 2 comments Lol, I think I'm okay with that. Out of sight, out of mind. Spiders respect that.

message 28: by Athena (new)

Athena (athenapn) | 18 comments Carol. wrote: "Really? What did you name it? I had lizards, amphibians, etc. but could never, ever wrap my brain around having a pet tarantula. O_O"

She was a Brown named Felix (at 10, I wasn't good at sexing arachnids … that'd be a great band name though, 'Sexing Arachnids'). :)

My dad worked with geologists & I'd hang out sometimes as Official Dirt Mascot. They were kind to the critters & gave me a tarantula who had to be relocated - she was a sweetheart! Very tickley walking around on bare arms but she never aggressed toward anyone. Sweet natured girl!

And now I have to check out the Hines' series, thanks!

message 29: by Andreas (last edited Mar 29, 2016 03:29AM) (new)

Andreas Hello all! I just read Carol's wordpress announcement. I don't remember if I ever read this book.
It's been too long since my last Zelazny which must have been somewhen end of 2014, which is a good motivation to pick up this novel.
I have a dead tree edition in my shelves in the form of a 1981 German translation "Tore in der Wüste". I guess that I read it then, but really don't know. If you don't mind, I join discussion with that one :)

message 30: by Amy (Other Amy) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 12 comments Welcome Andreas! I'm pretty sure any edition is a good edition; it's always interesting to hear what perspective a translation takes.

message 31: by carol. (new)

carol. | 89 comments Mod
Just as long as you translate your posts, Andreas ;)

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments Hi, all. Sorry for the late arrival. I'm about halfway through the book and am hoping to finish on an upcoming road trip. It's my first Zelazny too. Thanks for inviting me, Carol! I'm enjoying the silliness. I've read the conversation about doodlehums out loud to several people.

message 33: by carol. (new)

carol. | 89 comments Mod
Emily! Glad you could join. Sounds like a decent read for a road trip. Where you headed?

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments South Dakota. Such a nice day for a drive, and now we have a forecast of rain for the rest of the visit. :(
We're here to visit family and see my nephew in a play.
Finished the book last night. It's not something I would have picked up on my own, so I'm glad you brought me into the group. I really liked it.

message 35: by carol. (new)

carol. | 89 comments Mod
Well, at least you have nice driving weather.
Glad you enjoyed it, Emily. It's one of my favorites. So daffy.