Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive (BOTM) > March 2016 Young Adult BOTM - Throne of Glass

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 274 comments Hi everyone! Use this thread to discuss our Young Adult BOTM, Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Also, please make sure you hide any spoilers! This is the spoiler tag:
spoiler tag

message 2: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I'm excited to read this!
I bought it this year with Christmas money. I've heard a lot of good things about the series.

message 3: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow I read this back in January in a buddy read so it's still fresh enough I won't reread, but I will join in the discussion once people have gotten to this!

message 4: by Francina (new)

Francina Simone (francinasimone) Okay I just finished it. I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm going to wait for some more comments to come in!

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie Johnson | 50 comments B.F. wrote: "Okay I just finished it. I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm going to wait for some more comments to come in!"

I will say that I did like this book but it hasn't been my favorite in the series. I actually really like the series as a whole :)

message 6: by Francina (new)

Francina Simone (francinasimone) Injust started book two and my first reaction. "FINALLY" for the first chapter hahaha. I'm gonna keep at it. But Imm interested to see how everyone enjoys it and what they like.

message 7: by Dahrose (new)

Dahrose | 29 comments To compare this book to Graceling? NO WAY.
This is fluff... an annoying fluff at that.
The first three chapters or so are excellent. We meet our heroine, she's all kind of bad, calculating how to kill everyone she meets in an instant. After spending a year in the mines after being betrayed she's rightfully a little pissed off.
Then the story literally falls off a cliff -
Our heroine never does anything all that great or special to prove why she was considered the GREATEST most FEARED assassin in the land.
She's terrified of the king - to the point she's practically pissing the carpet.
All the other competitors are supposedly just run of the mill soldiers or thieves but they are supposedly her competitors? So, no tension.
We have all these competitions - but the author too often tells us the end result and glosses over them - so no tension there.
And the h is the biggest tease ever, as she flirts and uses both Chaol and the Prince - then cuts the cord when she gets the gig.

This was a mess, great premise but our heroine never lives up to the hype. I loathe books where I'm told the h is kick ass then she promptly dissolves into a girlish puddle. And sorry, but the girl was betrayed, surely revenge was the only thing keeping her going in the prison mines but does she ever mention it again? Nope.
All hype - no delivery.

message 8: by Francina (new)

Francina Simone (francinasimone) Dahrose! Yes! I was disappointed by the...well everything.

message 9: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow Some of my thoughts as I went through this book. Thought it was a decent start to a series to introduce the characters.

First 25%:
(view spoiler)

About 50%:
(view spoiler)

About 75%:
(view spoiler)

Finish:
(view spoiler)

message 10: by L.S. (new)

L.S. May | 18 comments I might have missed something due to a bit of skimming, but (view spoiler)

I was really expecting the whole thing to be darker. You know, fewer puppies and bags of candy.

message 11: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 17 comments i read this back in dec so not gonna reread. It was an ok book. At first i loved it until they started the whole love triangle. I had heard that it gets better in the following books, so I gave book 2 a try and it did get a lot better. I say if you at least found it interesting to give bk 2 a try because we find out more about her past. It seems like the author listened to her readers when she was writing #2.

message 12: by L.S. (new)

L.S. May | 18 comments Tiffany wrote: "i read this back in dec so not gonna reread. It was an ok book. At first i loved it until they started the whole love triangle. I had heard that it gets better in the following books, so I gave boo..."

Going more into her past bodes well for book 2, since the whole time I was reading I felt like we were missing a better story that came before (How did she get caught? Who was this Sam guy? etc.) but I won't be rushing out to read it.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Yates | 2 comments L.S you need to read the books before the series to find out more about Sam. Unfortunately throughout the whole series you never actually find out. all the books are in one called the assassins blade I think. it's really good. I hope that helps x

message 14: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 15 comments I started reading this one at the end of last year, but then wasn't pushed to finished it. I think I got through about 60% maybe? Perhaps a bit more? But, I'm only slightly interested in returning to it because I've seen that there are a few books out in the series. I figure that it may get better since they keep putting more out.

message 15: by Francina (new)

Francina Simone (francinasimone) Is it bad I wanted that candy to poison her? Like...

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie Johnson | 50 comments Yea I didn't like her as a character until later in the series.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 274 comments So, what is everyone's FAVORITE character, and why? Least FAVORITE character, and why?

PS - Don't forget to hide your spoilers if necessary!

Whitney (MomsBooksandBaubles) (momsbooksandbaubles) | 2 comments I think, currently, my favorite character is Chaol. I don't know why, but he is. I'm at 69% finished with the book, so we will see if that changes. My least favorite character is (view spoiler)

Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Throne of Glass (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarah J. Maas (other topics)