Young Writers discussion

Writing Help/Advice/Discussion > Short Story Feedback

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
SO. I literally have not written anything more substantial than a poem or a school-assigned essay/project in who knows how long. Years? I recently came across this creative writing competition at my school and want to enter a short story. There is no criteria aside from it must be utterly mine and cannot be edited by anyone else.

Thus far, my idea begins with:

The invention of time travel had very little to do with science and infinitely more to do with a brilliant man's yearning heart. Since, it has been used exclusively for science and discovery, for threading through space and infinite tomorrows and yesterdays. This development is irrelevant to the inventor himself, who wanted to answer one gaping question; where did he go wrong?

Basically, I want to write a short story about this genius who invented time/space travel but not for science. He did it because in his old age he discovered he was utterly alone and he wanted to go back and find the moment where everything went wrong; where he lost his loved ones, where he pushed everyone away, where he lost the curiosity and innocent drive that initially led him to his ambitions. And the short story covers his search for that moment. Basically a "don't forget to live" story about greatness and mistakes and letting go of the important things.

I was just wondering if it sounds like a good idea? I'm a little rusty with the whole story writing thing.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It sounds...awesome. But depressing.

I'd read it! :)

message 3: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Diamond | 190 comments Sounds great!

message 4: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Dude, that sounds freaking amazing!!!

message 5: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
I'ma do it B|

message 6: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Kriss, why do you and Brigid always comes up with all of the amazing ideas?!?!?!?!

message 7: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Huh I could've sworn I responded to this thread but maybe I forgot to. :D Anyway, I think that sounds awesome, Kriss! It could definitely be really beautiful and heart-breaking. I'm excited to see what you do with the idea!

And haha aww thanks Jayda––your ideas are amazing too!! :)