The GoodBook Club discussion

Announcements > March Book Club Pick - The Night Sister

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penguin Random House Canada (last edited Mar 01, 2016 02:53PM) (new)

Penguin Random House Canada (penguinrandomhousecanada) | 94 comments Mod
"A derelict motel, haunting childhood memories, hidden rooms, two sisters and family secrets--a supernatural tale that will thrill and chill in equal measure"

Chilling, right? Our March book club pick was a GoodReads' Choice nominee in Horror last year and a favourite among fans of Stephen King. The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon has a lot of in-house love so I'm excited to start reading it with all you lovely people! The book is already out in hardcover and the trade paperback is to be released on March. 8th.

We are also giving away 50 copies of the paperback edition on GoodReads so enter to win a copy! (Giveaway ends March 8th)

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

We gifted some of The Widow discussion participants with treats for taking part, so remember to chime in on The Night Sister when the discussion group opens.

Check out the book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Happy Reading,
Fatuma

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 47 comments Just put a hold on this one at the library, three copies out and all due back in Mid March. Might actually be able to read this one and participate in the discussion!

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita | 25 comments Hi. Just joined this group and looking forward to reading with you. The March pic looks interesting..

message 4: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (weepinganqels) | 19 comments This novel sounds very intriguing! :D

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (suekitty13) | 46 comments I've read The Night Sister and it was awesome! It's on my favorites shelf! I read a lot of horror and this is truly the scariest book I have ever read. I'll have to give it a re-read so I can be part of the discussion. :)

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 19 comments This book sounds so good! Hope I win a copy! :)

message 7: by Sandra (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:44PM) (new)

Sandra | 80 comments Sounds like a great read! I added it to my to read shelf in June of 2015! Fingers crossed that I win a copy...

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie | 17 comments I haven't read too many horror books. Looking forward to reading The Night Sister.

message 9: by Ammar (new)

Ammar (ammarmajali) | 65 comments Can't wait to start reading this novel :) She is a really good writer

message 10: by Zoë (new)

Zoë Danielle | 9 comments I have this and haven't read it yet! Perfect timing :)

message 11: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 2 comments Sounds perfect for a cold, dark winter night beside the fire.

Nikki (nikkitheknack's In the Stacks) (goodreadscomnikkitheknack) | 13 comments Awesome! I read this last year and loved it, can't wait to see what everyone thinks :)

message 13: by Ammar (new)

Ammar (ammarmajali) | 65 comments When can we start reading the book ?

Ammar wrote: "When can we start reading the book ?"

Immediately if you like! It's already out in hardcover, but if you'd like to wait for the paperback it's out March. 8th.

Anita wrote: "Hi. Just joined this group and looking forward to reading with you. The March pic looks interesting.."

Welcome Anita! We're happy to have you!

message 16: by HT (new)

HT (hufsat) | 1 comments My TBR is so full but this looks interesting. Going to try and squeeze this in.

message 17: by Laurice (new)

Laurice | 2 comments I loved this book!

message 18: by ash (new)

ash lloyd spanton (acobain) | 9 comments Wow, sounds great. Definitely need to get a copy!

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattycats) | 29 comments This sounds so good...can't wait...

message 20: by Eva (new)

Eva | 1 comments I don't normally read horror and I can't decide if I want to break my rule for this! I *am* a sucker for sister stories...

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being you didn't sleep for a week, where does this fall?

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen M (karenfma) | 2 comments This sounds so good! I've been on a horror/thriller kick lately and this totally fits the bill.

message 22: by Louise (new)

Louise I read one Stephen King book Needful Things, many many years ago and I hated it and never read another. I have always shied away from horror books but I'm willing to give this one a try, just to get me out of my comfort zone.

Eva wrote: "I don't normally read horror and I can't decide if I want to break my rule for this! I *am* a sucker for sister stories...

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being you didn't sleep for a week, where does this..."

From what I'm reading it's eerily addictive and you're slightly more aware of surroundings. I haven't lost any sleep yet!

-Fatuma

Hi everyone,

In case you haven't got your copy of The Night Sister yet, the trade paperback came out today! http://bit.ly/1pddFoy

Happy Reading,
Fatuma

message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattycats) | 29 comments The comments are really whetting my appetite to read this book!

message 26: by Ammar (new)

Ammar (ammarmajali) | 65 comments So far the book is really good, though I wish the author had more letters by Sylvie in the novel.

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattycats) | 29 comments So happy to get an email today announcing that I've won a copy of The Night Sister. Thank you!

message 28: by ash (new)

ash lloyd spanton (acobain) | 9 comments Do you know when the official discussion of this book is going to start? Hoping to have this read in time to participate.

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 80 comments Patricia wrote: "So happy to get an email today announcing that I've won a copy of The Night Sister. Thank you!"

I also won a copy! So excited to read and discuss this book...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for entering our giveaway. If you did not win a copy of The Night Sister, it is now out in hardcover AND paperback, so pick up your copy at your bookstore or library.

The discussion for The Night Sister will open up March 16th and end March 30th. Hopefully this gives everyone a lot of time to finish the book and contribute to the discussion.

Happy (or Scary) Reading,
Fatuma

message 31: by Louise (new)

Louise I never win any books, but I did get The Night Sister on audio from the library. I'm doing a 25 hour trip (each way) next week so I'm hoping this book will keep me awake on the drive :-)

message 32: by ash (new)

ash lloyd spanton (acobain) | 9 comments Louise wrote: "I never win any books, but I did get The Night Sister on audio from the library. I'm doing a 25 hour trip (each way) next week so I'm hoping this book will keep me awake on the drive :-)"

Good grief, quite a trip! Good luck and happy listening!

message 33: by Rachna (new)

Rachna (corruptmillionaire) | 16 comments I was happy to find out I won a copy of the book! Thank you so much! Can't wait to receive it and begin participating in the discussion!

message 34: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (weepinganqels) | 19 comments I can't wait until my copy gets in the mail especially since March Break and the Easter weekend are coming up!

message 35: by Anita (new)

Anita | 25 comments Really enjoying this book. I can't put it down..

message 36: by Ammar (new)

Ammar (ammarmajali) | 65 comments How's everyone enjoying the book ?

message 37: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattycats) | 29 comments I've started the book and so far so good!

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 80 comments My copy came in the mail today and I can't wait to start reading! Unfortunately, I have to do this pesky thing called work this evening. Hopefully can get a start tonight and finish it on my day off tomorrow!

message 39: by ash (new)

ash lloyd spanton (acobain) | 9 comments Finished this book yesterday - can't wait to talk about it!

The discussion for The Night Sister is now LIVE! Join the chat. Share your fears. This is a safe place.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

-Fatuma

message 41: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pattycats) | 29 comments I'm finished and I did enjoy it.