Classic Trash discussion

Friends of Eddie Coyle > Friends of Eddie Coyle: In Progress (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 1043 comments Mod
This topic is for those who want to discuss the book in progress. No spoilers please!

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 920 comments Ha! I just got back from my library, picking up this book. The inter-library loan system had some perfect timing, for a change.

message 3: by Adelaide (new)

I got mine a little early. I've been waiting to start it!

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 920 comments I saw the 1973 film made from this book about a month ago. That first chapter is in it, word for word. It was well-acted, with Robert Mitchum as Eddie Coyle.

message 5: by Cheryl (last edited Mar 02, 2016 05:06PM) (new)

Cheryl | 920 comments One thing I noticed is that the author just throws you right into the story, without explanations about who's who and what's going on. It's like you are following these people around, listening to them talk, and you have to figure out what's happening. (It's very dialogue-centric.) They don't explain things to you, and neither does the author. The movie was also like that. At first, it's a bit confusing, but you do start to figure things out.

Not everyone will like ths style of writing, because it's more work for the reader. However, I find myself being drawn deeper into this world because of it.

message 6: by Adelaide (new)

Yeah, I'm enjoying it too!

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 920 comments This is from the Wikipedia article on the novel The Friends of Eddie Coyle:

The novel was an instant success, with Higgins receiving praise from Norman Mailer as "the American writer who is closest to Henry Green. What I can't get over is that so good a first novel was written by the fuzz."

Elmore Leonard said that The Friends of Eddie Coyle was the best crime novel ever written, though Higgins hated being classified as a "crime writer". According to Leonard, “He saw himself as the Charles Dickens of crime in Boston instead of a crime writer. He just understood the human condition and he understood it most vividly in the language and actions among low lives.”

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 920 comments I finished the book. I thought it was good, but very, very gritty. It was very similar to the film, and many scenes were in the film, word for word. (Such great dialogue - why not put it in the film?) I could imagine these people - both the criminals and the cops - existing in real life. Although none of the characters were really sympathetic (except perhaps the people at the banks), they were all interesting to read about and to listen to their conversations.

message 9: by Adelaide (new)

I am about half way through. Eddie Coyle is playing a DANGEROUS game.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 920 comments Adelaide wrote: "I am about half way through. Eddie Coyle is playing a DANGEROUS game."

I know. He shouldn't even be hanging around these people, if he has sentencing coming up.