YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her Own Making (Fairyland #1), by Catherynne M. Valente--Staring March 8th, 2016

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments Twelve-year-old September lives in Omaha, and used to have an ordinary life, until her father went to war and her mother went to work. One day, September is met at her kitchen window by a Green Wind (taking the form of a gentleman in a green jacket), who invites her on an adventure, implying that her help is needed in Fairyland. The new Marquess is unpredictable and fickle, and also not much older than September. Only September can retrieve a talisman the Marquess wants from the enchanted woods, and if she doesn’t . . . then the Marquess will make life impossible for the inhabitants of Fairyland. September is already making new friends, including a book-loving Wyvern and a mysterious boy named Saturday.

With exquisite illustrations by acclaimed artist Ana Juan, Fairyland lives up to the sensation it created when the author first posted it online. For readers of all ages who love the charm of Alice in Wonderland and the soul of The Golden Compass, here is a reading experience unto itself: unforgettable, and so very beautiful.

Feel free to join Ashley and I for this read!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Excited to start! :D

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments Ashley wrote: "Excited to start! :D"

I am, too! :D I've heard these are really great reads!

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments Ashley wrote: "Excited to start! :D"

I'll be starting this one tomorrow after I get off work! :D

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Wooo! Can't wait to break into it. :D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I'm one chapter in and I love it already and I need to read this to someone immediately.

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments 15%:

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments Ashley wrote: "Okay, I'm one chapter in and I love it already and I need to read this to someone immediately."

I so agree! I've been reading small snippets to my husband. He doesn't appreciate it as much as I do, though, so I should stop that. XD

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Okay, I'm one chapter in and I love it already and I need to read this to someone immediately."

I so agree! I've been reading small snippets to my husband. He doesn't appreciate it ..."

I feel like I need to find a small herd of polite children and just blow their minds with this book, I swear. I'm with you on the loving-every-single-aspect-of-it. It's so simple and whimsical on the surface but there's some real depth to it, too, if you look for it.

This is my favorite kind of escapism, honestly. It's just unapologetically... 'childish' isn't the word I want. Innocent, maybe? I dunno. I feel like this is going to be one of those books I come back to when I'm in a bad mood, y'know?

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments Ashley wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Okay, I'm one chapter in and I love it already and I need to read this to someone immediately."

I so agree! I've been reading small snippets to my husband. He does..."

Yes, I so agree! These books are definitely a great "escape"--not too heavy, not too light. A neutrally emotional territory, I guess.

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments 52%:

(view spoiler)