Horror Aficionados discussion

Audio Group Listens > March 2016 Group Listen: A Head Full of Ghosts

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Char (new)

Char  | 13887 comments Mod
A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay won our March Group Listen poll!

Here is a place for us to discuss the audio book. Please use spoiler tags when necessary and Happy Listening!

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 127 comments This is the first month that I've participated in this group's discussions and there are two that I'm interested in. I've already started listening to The Girl with All the Gifts so this one will have to wait a week or so. I've had an audio copy of this for months though so I'm definitely stoked to jump in.

message 3: by Denise (last edited Mar 01, 2016 07:08PM) (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments Just picked this up as an Amazon/Audible whispersync deal. It was cheaper this way than buying just the audio! Sooo...thanks for picking one I could buy for less than $6.

message 4: by T. (new)

T. (tblakebraddy) | 52 comments I loved A Head Full of Ghosts! I'm going to wait until some opinions start trickling in before I dive into talking about that book, but man, did I really like it.

message 5: by Jia (new)

Jia Zhu | 8 comments Wow, read in the book's comment that it "scared Stephen King"?!:D
Now that really piqued my interest, count me in!
But same as Tom before me, I'm listening to "The Girl with All the Gifts" right now so this will come second this month!

message 6: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10835 comments Mod
I just read this a few months ago (or it seems) so I won't be participating in this listen. it's definitely an interesting book. I hope you all like it.

message 7: by xGvJx (new)

xGvJx | 6 comments I'm excited about this book, and will probably join in when I've finished my two February group listens from other groups. Switching between two audiobooks wasn't a good idea, so I'm now 100% on Mansfield Park. Then I have the final a-little-less-than-half of The Sword of Shannarah, which is also a slow listen for me. Looking forward to getting out of the woods and into this book! :D

message 8: by xGvJx (last edited Mar 02, 2016 04:00AM) (new)

xGvJx | 6 comments Denise, please tell me more about the whispersync deal! I've never tried that before, but I have an Amazon/Audible account and the Kindle app, so I guess I should be all set ... if I could just figure out how to get it as cheap as you say. Do I buy the Kindle book first, and then magically get the Audible version way cheaper?

Never mind - I found it! You can add Audible narration when you buy the Kindle version, before you click "Buy now with 1-Click".

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments xGvJx wrote: "Denise, please tell me more about the whispersync deal! I've never tried that before, but I have an Amazon/Audible account and the Kindle app, so I guess I should be all set ... if I could just fig..."

You got it! It didn't go on sale until March 1st, so that was convenient! I love whispersync!

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments xGvJx wrote: "Denise, please tell me more about the whispersync deal! I've never tried that before, but I have an Amazon/Audible account and the Kindle app, so I guess I should be all set ... if I could just fig..."

Also- if you check out Kindle books from your library/Overdrive, it will often give you the option to add narration for a reduced price while you have the book checked out.

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane Jackson (janejackson91) | 28 comments This will be my first ever audio-book, can't wait..

Empress Reece (Hooked on Books) (empressreece) | 86 comments Latasha wrote: "I just read this a few months ago (or it seems) so I won't be participating in this listen. it's definitely an interesting book. I hope you all like it."

I've already read this one too so so I won't be participating this month either. Enjoy!

message 13: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 9 comments xGvJx wrote: "Never mind - I found it! You can add Audible narration when you buy the Kindle version, before you click "Buy now with 1-Click". "

You can do it after you've bought the Kindle book too :) I buy almost all my Audible books this way; if you own the Kindle book first, both versions together are almost always cheaper than just the Audible book. Crazy but true.

message 14: by xGvJx (new)

xGvJx | 6 comments Fascinating, I'll need to keep that in mind!

Hmm, now that I have the audiobook, the question is how long I can wait before leaving the other two behind and jumping into this one ...

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 127 comments Denise wrote: "Also- if you check out Kindle books from your library/Overdrive, it will often give you the option to add narration for a reduced price while you have the book checked out. ."

I love Overdrive. I have cards from 6 different local libraries and have a wide selection of audio and digital books to choose from. Sometimes I check out both the audio and digital versions. That's probably selfish but hey, my taxes at work.

message 16: by MadMannikin (new)

MadMannikin | 11 comments Just started this audiobook this morning. I'm really liking it so far.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished the book and I loved it!

message 18: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments Tom wrote: "Denise wrote: "Also- if you check out Kindle books from your library/Overdrive, it will often give you the option to add narration for a reduced price while you have the book checked out. ."

I lov..."

Not selfish! You are helping your library. The number of circulations helps their funding!

message 19: by K.j. (new)

K.j. Decent read....not totally in love with it but worth checking out. I'm a tough judge though; 3 stars

message 20: by Jia (new)

Jia Zhu | 8 comments Started this one before The Girl with all the Gifts, but finished it first:) Really a great read.

message 21: by T. (new)

T. (tblakebraddy) | 52 comments Jane wrote: "This will be my first ever audio-book, can't wait.."

Excellent! Head Full of Ghosts is a really evocative and well-produced audiobook, so it's a good one to start with. It feels "performed" more than just read aloud, which is a real plus, especially for such a moody and timely horror novel.

message 22: by Jori (new)

Jori (joric) I just got done reading A Head Full of Ghosts! Wonderful book! I'm kind of new here - do y'all ever talk about what happens in the book? Because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. But I sure do love that ending, and I was interested to hear what people thought of it.

message 23: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 127 comments Jori wrote: "I just got done reading A Head Full of Ghosts! Wonderful book! I'm kind of new here - do y'all ever talk about what happens in the book? Because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. But I sure do l..."

If you think what you are saying may be a spoiler, be sure to put it ni spoiler brackets. If you don't know how, read the info in the (some html is ok) link above the text box.

message 24: by Lena (new)

Lena (lenar0307) | 18 comments I really enjoyed the story but was a little disappointed that I didn't find it scary. I think if I had read the book rather than listen to the audio, it would have been a little more creepy for me.

message 25: by JohnNY (new)

JohnNY (infamous41) | 1 comments i agree with A head full of Ghost should be nominated and not as pleaesd that it should have won anything. Great Story but too predictable and the gaps betwwen each turns and twists was too short now with The Girl W/ all Gifts was good and very twisted. the best book and i think alot would agree and not because he wins it every year is Stephen King's FindersKeepers that story was fantasic i loved it and cant wait for part3. Head Full Of Ghost was good esp the part w/ the father the ending couldnt had been more f'up...in a good way in only should be in a book

message 26: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann  | 377 comments I'm close to finishing up and I can't say I've enjoyed it. I'm hoping the ending will redeem it.

message 27: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments Almost done! I'm at the exorcism. Then I'll go back and read comments.

message 28: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments I've gone back and forth with how much I like this audiobook. I think the problem is that I really don't enjoy the blog portion of it with all the sarcasm and strikethroughs. I've really enjoyed the narrative about Barrett family life though.

message 29: by Jon (last edited Mar 25, 2016 04:56PM) (new)

Jon | 1 comments Hi everyone. I just joined this group, and this is my first post on Goodreads. Coincidentally, I just finished listening to the audio version of "A Head Full of Ghosts" read by Joy Osmanski. I enjoyed the novel, but felt the audio performance was missing the dry, sarcastic tone that came through loud and clear when reading. Did anyone else notice a disconnect in tone between the text version and the audio? Joy Osmanski is obviously talented, and she did a fine job overall, but I would've loved to hear Kate Mulgrew's take on this story. I may be biased because her reading of Joe Hill's NOS4A2 is one of my favorite audiobooks ever.

message 30: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments Jon wrote: "Hi everyone. I just joined this group, and this is my first post on Goodreads. Coincidentally, I just finished listening to the audio version of "A Head Full of Ghosts" read by Joy Osmanski. I enjo..."

I think maybe that's why the blog section bothered me so much. I had this as a whispersync, so I ended up reading most of that section. I do want to track down NOS4A2 now.

message 31: by Tom (last edited Mar 27, 2016 11:17PM) (new)

Tom Mathews | 127 comments I just finished A Head Full of Ghosts. It had some good twists and left me scratching my head, not necessarily a bad thing. My review is My review is here.

I didn't find the blog posts too irritating. I actually did enjoy the part where she tied in and discussed Gilman's The Yellow Wall-Paper.

message 32: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10835 comments Mod
The yellow wallpaper is one of my favorites and the audiobook of NOS4A2 is absolutely unbelievablely awesome. That was a group listen a while back and I think we were all blown away by how great it was.

message 33: by xGvJx (last edited Apr 16, 2016 10:10AM) (new)

xGvJx | 6 comments I finished it today, I thought it was just ok. For a short book like this to take a full month to listen through - well, some of it I guess was due to my bad experiences with audiobooks lately (I actually just returned The Sword of Shannara at Audible so I won't have to decide whether to finish it or not). I've definitely been more in a reading than listening mood lately. But yeah, this was absolutely a better experience than both Shannara and Mansfield Park. And in case anyone is curious, the Norwegian exorcism documentary is The Exorcist in the 21st Century, I sort of know the producer. I might look over the blog parts again on the Kindle version, to find inspiration for more stuff to check out.