Addicted to YA discussion

Poison Study (Study, #1)
This topic is about Poison Study
Series > Poison Study

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - added it

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5276 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part? Will you read the next one?

message 2: by S (last edited Mar 07, 2016 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

S (siyxx) I tried once and failed miserably. I stopped half way through the book because I simply lost interest in all the characters and their stories. But then, looking at the reviews, I feel like I was wrong???

message 3: by hailey (new) - added it

hailey | 4 comments I read this book last december and for the most part I loved it. I felt like it was missing some things but it was excellently written in my opinion. Yelena was hands down my favorite character, I find it hard to have a favorite character that isn't the protagonist. I can't pin down and exact favorite part or least favorite, I don't really remember them. But if I had to pick one it would be any moment when she mentioned the guy that abused her when she was living in the mansion with the general guy. I felt like I was on fire just hearing about the things he did to her :c.
I probably won't read the next one, I feel like it could have been a one book series and I would have been satisfied with a good ending. I might attempt to read it once I finish some of the books I've got on my plate right now.

message 4: by Farren (new) - added it

Farren (mmmcookies) | 524 comments This was a DNF for me a while back because the audiobook was just terrible. I don't think I'll ever get around to trying the ebook at this point.

message 5: by hailey (new) - added it

hailey | 4 comments Farren wrote: "This was a DNF for me a while back because the audiobook was just terrible. I don't think I'll ever get around to trying the ebook at this point."

luckily my school library had it. I can't stand to read ebooks anymore.

Bazza (bazza1738) Can i listen to it? Reply please

Charity | 13 comments Love this book. It is so good. Yelena is such an amazing character to read about. She is independent, strong and she fight! The only thing that I found weird about this book is the age difference between Yelena and Valek. The age gap is just so big. But don't get me wrong, I do like them together. In fact, I think they are perfect for each other. So I try my best to ignore the age gap while reading this book. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I plan on continually reading the series.

Rachel Malcolm (RachelMalcolm) | 21 comments I just started reading this book last night and I'm a sixth of the way through. So far it's intriguing. There's mystery about Yelena's past and there are high stakes involved.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Cellier | 13 comments Wow, I see that several of you didn't like Poison Study at all! I really liked it! Except for all the bits about her being tortured - I really struggle with that kind of thing :(

I loved seeing Valek's development as a character and getting to know him. I love characters that are REALLY REALLY good at what they do so I found him really cool. Plus the whole poison taster thing seemed interesting and unique.

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω | 188 comments Siyapah wrote: "I tried once and failed miserably. I stopped half way through the book because I simply lost interest in all the characters and their stories. But then, looking at the reviews, I feel like I was wr..."

Don't feel like you are wrong to not like it. Every book can be loved or hated, or just tolerable. I recently read a book that so many people raved about, had all these 5 star reviews, and I was disappointed when I ended up disliking a lot of it. Don't feel obligated to like something just because other people do. Differing opinions is what makes us all unique :)

Gretchen | 49 comments Poison Study was good. But I probably won't read the next book. All the abuse and violence was a little much for me to be honest. I liked that Yelena rises above her circumstances and begins to make something of herself. And that she makes friends and finds love in her awful life but ...I would have liked a more solid and uplifting ending. I found the characters interesting and endearing in their own ways. The story had a good arch story that could go some where.

Rachel Malcolm (RachelMalcolm) | 21 comments I just finished Poison Study. My interest in the plot really picked up after the halfway point. I enjoyed uncovering the secrets, but it was a little darker than I generally like. I'm not sure if I'll read the next book. Not yet anyway--I just started reading The Book Thief.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Poison Study is the first book I have read to the end in a couple of years. And I’ll be forever grateful to Maria Snyder for that. Her writing is crisp and clean, it’s not weighed down with too many adjectives, saccharine descriptions, or cliché phrases. I especially enjoyed her descriptions of how the main character, Yelena, feels when she is poisoned. These were heady, creative, and really pulled you into the moment and carried you along with the delusion and disorientation of the character.

The story is complex enough to draw you in. The characters are interesting and lovable. It’s a well-done story, and if you like a bit of romance (and who doesn't), then I recommend it. I stayed up very late one night to finish it and that’s always a great sign.

The one thing negative thing I would say is about the love scene. I still don’t know what happened. Was it a kissing scene, or a sex scene? After the two characters kiss, the writing goes esoteric and it leaves you wondering what happened. It sort of goes all arty farty. This scene was a disappointment and bit of a head-scratcher for me, but don’t let that deter you from reading it because you might not feel the same way as me. You might absolutely love the way she wrote it.

message 14: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Anderson So two years later I just read this. I am in love. I totally agree with you about the love scene. That awkward moment when you don’t know if you’re reading a sex scene or not. I had to ask some friends. I feel like the book would’ve been so much better classified NA and her just going the distance with that part. Otherwise I loved it so much and can’t wait to continue on.

message 15: by K♡ (new) - rated it 5 stars

K♡ (x1f33bwanderessx1f33b) | 3 comments My favourite character is definitely Janco! ❤

I love Yelena and Valek's relationship. It's healthy and realistic.

I just started reading Night Study so right now, The Commander is my least favourite character. :/