Addicted to YA discussion

Uprooted
This topic is about Uprooted
Series > Uprooted

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5215 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part?

Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books) (amyriadofbooks) | 39 comments I think I got about halfway through (or less) before I gave up. It did not draw me in; the characters were boring; I didn't understand the magic or how the main characters seemed to be falling in love for NO APPARENT REASON.

I was sad because I really wanted to like this book! But I think the hype for the best of me.

Sabrina (forebodinq) | 150 comments It's been a little while since I read this, so I'm hazy on the details, but I really loved it and it's one of my favourite books (I do have over 70, so it's not really a prestigious position, but still).
My favourite character was Agnieszka. I didn't really care about Kasia. The Dragon annoyed me as did the romance element at times.
I loved how this book went in a direction that was impossible to see coming and I especially loved (view spoiler).

message 4: by Kirsti (last edited Mar 02, 2016 01:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kirsti (fantasyfictionreader) | 11 comments I loved this book when I read it. The world is amazing and I loved the dragon, Agnieszka and their "relationship". I loved the banter between them and how dragon was annoyed by everything she did. This is the only book that made me afraid of a forest! I recommend this book a lot !

Kt Patzer | 1 comments I read this about a month ago and it was quite amazing! I remember that I was hooked from the very beginning. I found the story to be rather unique as well!

Brighton Brooksby I have mixed feelings about this book. So far I'm about 3/4 of the way done but its pretty hard to get through. I really want to like this book but the characters are hard to connect with. I do like the forest and the magic behind everything but there is just something that I struggle with.

message 7: by J (new) - rated it 2 stars

J This was the book that finally made me fed up with YA books basically always having the same general plot idea with the same "strong, female main character." I'd been growing more and more tired of it, but this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Also, the age difference in the relationship weirded me out immensely.

Christina (batgirl39) | 23 comments I finally read this book earlier this year and LOVED it. I appreciated that the main relationship in the book wasn't a romantic one but all about a close friendship. The main characters were flawed and constantly questioning their actions. It is now one of my favorite books.

Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) I have less than 100 pages to go before I finish this and I have to say that I can't wait until it's done! I wanted so badly to love this book because it has gotten such great reviews but I'm not really a fan. I have not connected with one character or even felt the slightest emotion for any of them. Like others, I enjoyed the story behind the magic but I thought the character development was greatly lacking.

The world building of The Wood was the best part of the book. The author described everything in great detail which I loved. I think the characters are the reason that I'm frustrated with this book.

CarlB (goodreadscomcarlb) I am going to start this one but i see there are a lot of mixed feelings about this one.
We will see.

Ashley (Bound to Love YA) | 2 comments I really enjoyed this book. I liked that there was no insta-love or love triangles and I found the plot really intriguing. The magic was beautifully written and the battles were well done. A couple of things that bothered me, though, were that the Dragon wasn't really a dragon (I love dragon lore) and he never really got less rude and grumpy. Kind of hard to enjoy a book boyfriend who is so surly all the time. :/

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω | 188 comments I was surprised and actually really, really liked this book. I'd been skeptical when I picked it up, but it captured me from page one. One part of it though kind of bored me, which was when Agnieszka is in the captial, so definitely my least favorite part. I LOVED every scene where they had to go into the Wood! It's reminiscent of Blackveil from Kristen Britain's Green Rider books, but far better. Can I say the Wood is my favorite character? Hehe. Loved the Dragon, too, and Alosha. I was, however, not at all a fan of Marek. I wanted to slap him and Solya frequently.

message 13: by Aria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aria von Dimple (ariavondimple) | 7 comments I have to agrees with the others - one of the most remarkable things about this book was the Wood. Somehow Mrs. Novik pulled it off making it mesmerizing and haunting at the same time.

But I actually liked that the Dragon stayed grumpy the whole time. For me it showed that that was his nature (after all, he was pretty old and old people tend to be little disappointed and tired of everyday meanderings) and it really stood out from all the other characters in other books who are magically transfored into a different person by love. Because love. Yeah, right.

A part of his so-called grumpiness could be caused by his shyness. After all, he was a bit lost in his feelings towards Agnieszka and what says denial better than avoidance.

But I didn't really like the sister Agnieszka had. Something about her bothered me and I can't really put my finger on what it was. Maybe it was that she seemed a bit generic?

message 14: by Di (new) - rated it 5 stars

Di | 25 comments Aria wrote: "But I actually liked that the Dragon stayed grumpy the whole time. For me it showed that that was his nature (after all, he was pretty old and old people tend to be little disappointed and tired of everyday meanderings) and it really stood out from all the other characters in other books who are magically transfored into a different person by love. Because love. Yeah, right. "

YES!!!! Exactly how I felt about this.

I adored this book. SO thrilled to have read it, sad that it was only a standalone.