Addicted to YA discussion

Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)
This topic is about Glass Sword
287 views
Series > Glass Sword

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - added it

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5276 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part? Will you read the next one?


Amanda Batsios I just finished it yesterday! I liked it, not sure if I was as enthralled with it as Red Queen. I had high expectations, it was a 3.5/5 stars for me. I will definitely read the next book. Favorite character is still Cal. He has a lot of inner turmoil that makes him interesting.


Katrina♡•• | 491 comments I loved it. Gave it 5 stars. I loved all the characters and the rabbit was funny. I still like Marven the most and I hope there is a good reason for his actions. I really do. There better be one. If Mare ends up with Cal and Marven continues to be evil then I won't give her wrong and I think I understand Cal better now. However it was explosive and still rooting for Marven.


helen❣️ (tohelenback) Amanda wrote: "I just finished it yesterday! I liked it, not sure if I was as enthralled with it as Red Queen. I had high expectations, it was a 3.5/5 stars for me. I will definitely read the next book. Favorite ..."
I totally agree! Except I wasn't very sure if i liked either book..... the ending for Glass Sword was kind of predictable, though. And not as devastating as Red Queen's.


Lori Carpenter | 3 comments I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I didn't think it was as good as Red Queen but I'll read the next one to see what happens. My favorite character is Cal. There are so many layers to him and I can't help but root for him.


Brittany Lynn (bbritt_nayy) Lori wrote: "I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I didn't think it was as good as Red Queen but I'll read the next one to see what happens. My favorite character is Cal. There are so many layers to him and I can't help..."

I completely agree! During the entire book I was rooting for Cal. And I still am! I wish there was more Cal, and I hate how it ended. But either was, not as great as the Red Queen.


Sumedha the wordy habitat (thewordyhabitat) I started reading it only today. Just quarter through and so much has happened already


message 8: by Mac (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mac (boywhocriedbooks) | 2 comments I am currently reading it. Currently at page 370 and my heart just broke because of that twist. :(


Stefana (flowerbook) I am Team Cal! I really liked the book. Victoria's writing is getiin' better, you can clearly see the improvement in Glass Sword. I gave it 5/5 because I think it was better than Red Queen,

Definitely I will read the next book, can't wait to see what's happening next


message 10: by Pang (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pang | 23 comments I finished it and give it 3 stars! xD I like Cal better in this one, but my fave is still Maven! I hope I will get a lot of him in the next book! =9


Andrea Prepo | 27 comments I barely started it, it's so good! I think it's great they're kind of in between, against Maven but not quite with the resistance. After all anyone can betray anyone.


Raneem Almallah I honestly didn't like it a much as I thought I would. I had more expectations and in the end I didn't like it as much I thought I would after reading Red Queen. I mean Mare kills me. I didn't like any of the decisions she made. I loved Cal and after this book I don't ship Cal and Mare together. Mare was too self involved and judgmental in my opinion in this book. I don't know, maybe I had too high of expectations or something.


Ricky (spider-fan) | 876 comments Five stars from me - here's my review! https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

And I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who prefers Cal over Maven. Maven reminds me too much of the Darkling, which means I have no hope for his redemption. Especially given the ending of this book... :/


Brittany (bookwormmatsen) | 12 comments I just bought Red Queen last night so I need to catch up!!


message 15: by Kyra (last edited Mar 04, 2016 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kyra Reyes (kyrareyes) | 1 comments This series reminds me of The Grisha trilogy. Anyway, I gave it 4 stars. I like Cal better than Maven. I ship Cal and Mare. I don't really like Kilorn. He's a bit annoying at times. I'm looking forward to the 3rd book. Can't wait to read what happens next!


Crystal this book broke my heart againnnn i cant even...im still recovering :( and Maven i just hes horrifying and scares me..Cal all the way


hailey | 4 comments I loved the book because I'm very enthralled with the characters. In the first book I was torn in the love triangle and wasn't really on a team. If I had to pick one I was team Maven because he was seemingly supporting of the guard and then sike knife in the back, and the heart. I struggle to find how there could possibly be a good reason behind the things he's done. His mother was a hag who framed made Cal murder his Father and Maven did nothing to stop it. We can all agree it was because he power hungry. This whole book I was waiting for some Mare + Cal romance to happen but it never really came. They insulted, avoided, and hurt eachother more than romanced each other. The end made me angry I was screaming no the whole way through. The part with Maven and the machine thing in the middle was my least favorite part. The epilogue hands down was my favorite part, it was so creepy/angsty and it sent shivers down my spine. I need to know what happens next. Definitely reading the next book. Nothing on this earth can stop me from it, I need to see this story out to the end.


Ricky (spider-fan) | 876 comments @Kyra: Cal and Mare for you too, huh? :)


message 19: by Tweebs♥️ (last edited Mar 09, 2016 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tweebs♥️ First of all, OH MY GOD. I finished Red Queen literally on the same day my friend suggested it to me and that was a year ago. When I went online to check out when Glass Sword was going to come out and it said 2016, I almost cried.
Anyway, this book was wowwwww. I can't even begin to describe the different types of emotions I went through reading this book. At one point, I wanted to throw it across the room. I love how Mare and Cal would try to balance each other out and formed a somewhat romantic relationship. LET ME TELL YOU ONE THING I DID NOT FEEL ONE OUNCE OF ROMANCE I dont know if its just me but yeah. There were some scenes were I was thinking omg omg yes yes a romance scene and then BAM doesnt even happen.
I still love Maven, he's that kindof villian where you try to hate him but you just can't. Throughout this book, It had its ups and downs but the writing was PERFECT. To be honest, I think my fav scene in this whole book is the ending lol why because it was actually cool. Scratch that, THAT last chapter was epic. So, whenever you guys get to that part just be prepared for the upcoming awesomeness. I don't want to spoil anything so enjoy reading Glass Sword:)


Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments Helen wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I just finished it yesterday! I liked it, not sure if I was as enthralled with it as Red Queen. I had high expectations, it was a 3.5/5 stars for me. I will definitely read the next ..."

Feeling the same way.


Sumedha the wordy habitat (thewordyhabitat) I finished reading Glass sword a few days back and I'm so completely Team Cal. I liked Maven but now he's just this kid on the throne acting as King. He feels like a poorly planned disaster waiting to happen. I definitely enjoyed Glass sword way more than Req queen because one, the story was so much involved about the war and not like/love as in Red queen. The sudden loss of *not naming because spoiler for some* was sooo heartbreaking! And may I say, I didn't understand the "answer to her question is yes" part? What was the question? I guess by then I was reading at a really fast speed and wanted to know what's next that I didn't bother to read that part properly.

The ending, though, broke me. I am on the edge and I need the next book so much. I just keep trying to make fanfiction and stories in my head after the last scene.


message 22: by Andrea (last edited Mar 10, 2016 07:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea Prepo | 27 comments Sumedha wrote: "I finished reading Glass sword a few days back and I'm so completely Team Cal. I liked Maven but now he's just this kid on the throne acting as King. He feels like a poorly planned disaster waiting..."

I finished just a few days ago and I competely agree with you!! this one was so much better. The book was more involved in the war and how Mare felt about her role, but I'm team no-one right now. I don't think they're good for other people with everything going on now. Let's see how the third fares and maybe I will be on some team.

About "The answer to her question", I would recommend to re-read that scene and pay attetion to a gesture she makes before leaving. It's a long shot but I bet that the answer will be yes!


Ricky (spider-fan) | 876 comments @Sumedha: A kid on the throne, you say? Yes. Maven is turning into Joffrey and Kilgrave wrapped into one. Not good. :/


Sarahi Flores (readergal91) Loved the book. Read it last month but I'm stilly going crazy.
Mare is more meaner if you know what I mean. She's completely changed and I feel bad for her in a way but I am also getting mad with her.


Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments Ricky wrote: "@Sumedha: A kid on the throne, you say? Yes. Maven is turning into Joffrey and Kilgrave wrapped into one. Not good. :/"

Yeah, he is so Joffrey.


Crystal Yeah i agree she kinda annoyed me im like stop being so mean to Cal especially


Andrea Prepo | 27 comments Elisha wrote: "It kind of disappointed me. I felt like it had a very wannabe hunger games vibe to it and the characters lost all their interesting traits. By the end I hated Mare."

Mare was a little bit hard to stand through the book, in the first she was bit too trusting and in this one she end up isolating herself. She only wanted to save Newbloods and nothing more, I think Cameron was a great addition to make her see the whole picture.


message 28: by Charity (last edited Mar 16, 2016 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Charity | 13 comments Personally, I am a little disappointed in it. I was expecting so much more after reading the first book (it was amazing). But when I start reading this book, I keep on putting it down: nothing is happening. I found the book quite boring. I was mainly reading it for Shade, but the next thing I know, he is dead, because of Mare. I was like, "see Mare? this is what your 'right' actions has brought- your closest brothers death!" I don't really like the ending either, another cliff hanger. But the problem is, by that time I don't really have any emotions left, I was just like, "oh, ok" , and I just put the book down.
I think that I will still read the next one, because I want to finish this series. I also wish that the next one will have more actions in it. After all, I like having actions in books.


Heather (heathersnerdylife) Amanda wrote: "I just finished it yesterday! I liked it, not sure if I was as enthralled with it as Red Queen. I had high expectations, it was a 3.5/5 stars for me. I will definitely read the next book. Favorite ..."

I agree with you 100%. Great book, but Red Queen was better. I feel like Glass Sword was a set-up novel for the final book.


Alicia B | 16 comments Hmmm...I'd give Glass Sword a 3/5 stars, mainly because Red Queen left me with high expectations (like many other responses mentioned). But yes, I will definitely read the next book.


Brittany (bookwormmatsen) | 12 comments I finished this two days ago, read a different book and I STILL miss Mare and Cal- and of course I'm dying to know what happens next!! 2017 please hurry!!!


message 32: by Maxx (last edited Mar 20, 2016 12:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maxx (maxinnaaa) | 14 comments So am I the only one who loved it? LOL but even though the first part was boring, I still loved it. Mare didn't annoy me as much, too, contrary to several others. I was just mad at her when she had a fight with Kilorn. But other than that, I understood her actions and her reactions to situations. But I can't believe Shade died. I still think it wasn't necessary. I understand why Victoria had to make it look like Shade died in Red Queen (so Mare could release that power in front of her family and so she would have a reason to be angry at the Silvers). But here in Glass Sword, I don't see the point.


Ricky (spider-fan) | 876 comments @Maxx: I loved it too. Five stars from me! :) Although the ending made me wanna throw the book through the wall...


message 34: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole  (dodidoe624) Just started and I was Team Cal before, I never trusted Maven he was so slick in Red Queen with the hand holding and the smugness he showed that he was such a rebel always rubbed me the wrong way, sooo TEAM CAL!


Sarah Louise (kerosenelit) @Max: I really liked it, too! Ok, but am I the only one who loves Maven? I feel like that is something I shouldn't admit, but I think there is more than meets the eye with him. There is always mention of him killing, but we never actually witnessed him do it. Maybe I am just being hopeful, LOL. I wish we got to see more of him in Glass Sword. I love complicated villians.


message 36: by Petch (new)

Petch Jeeraruangrong | 4 comments It is 3.5 for me because I think the first book is a bit better for me I give the first on 4.5 because of that-twist-which-I-not-see-it-coming lol. What I really love about Glass sword is the cahracter development of Mare, darker and darker, I also love the ending it's really show how sick Maven is.


Sarahi Flores (readergal91) Crazy how some readers are rooting for Team Maven. That's abuse right there. Who would want to stay with someone who has them in a leash?


Crystal Yes i agree^^^^


Ricky (spider-fan) | 876 comments @Sarahi: Oh God, yes. Abuse. Team Maven = abuse. #NoBueno


Jessica Cooper | 13 comments I gave this book 3.5 out of 5 stars. I really liked the introduction of the other newbloods and seeing their different powers. Mare was a little repetitive at times saying how cold hearted she was constantly. I get why she became that way though. I was disappointed with what happened to Shade. I really loved the whole thing between him and Farley. I am interested to see how the next book will go and if Cal will turn on them with his conflicting emotions. I'm glad Julian came back, I really like his character. Overall not a bad read.


Roxanne R | 14 comments I completely agree with the point that Maven was abusive to Mare, and I don't really see how a relationship could develop between them. However, is it just me that thinks that there's no chemistry between Mare and Cal either? I just feel like their good friends and nothing more.


Brittany (bookwormmatsen) | 12 comments Aveyard said there is no future for Mare and Maven. I ship Mare and Cal but I still love Maven purely because he's a good villain.


message 43: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3 comments I HATED it and LOVED it at the same time. The deaths in the the book were unexpected for me. And the the ending.. Omg hated it


back to top