Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > What better way to help writers and authors? Reading!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Polly (last edited Mar 01, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Polly Zetterberg | 75 comments Reading. Reading. Reading. I see “beta reading” as one of the best avenues to help writers and authors. Since authors and writers have put their hearts on the line for many years, the least we readers can do is to be there, to confer and encourage those writers and authors.
Keep going. Keep writing. Capture us.

Trained editor, with certificate from U WA Prof & Cont. Ed Program and Author-Editor Clinic, lifelong "big picture" person, and member of the Northwest Independent Editors Guild, I am eager to be of help to writers; helping them to bring out the best of their writing. I love every minute of it!
References and more info at
http://zetterbergediting.com

March 1, 2016

message 2: by Randy (new)

Randy Smith | 68 comments Good evening Polly, you seem too good to be true. I've spent years working on a series of fantasy novels and am just now hoping to find someone willing to read them, actually starting with the first one. I have no expectations that someone would like to eventually read all of them. Well, except of course after they're published and out there. Then I want millions of people to want to read them.
The first book is 115,000 words and if you'd like I can send it complete or a few chapters, or a synopsis of it(or all five of the books.
Thank you, Randy

message 3: by Polly (new)

Polly Zetterberg | 75 comments Randy wrote: "Good evening Polly, you seem too good to be true. I've spent years working on a series of fantasy novels and am just now hoping to find someone willing to read them, actually starting with the firs..."

Good Morning Randy-
Congratulations on finishing your novels! I can only imagine the determination involved in completing them.
As far as reading them for you, I'm afraid that your genre of fantasy is not a good one for me. I don't enjoy reading fantasy personally, and know that my bias would come through. Nothing against your writing or the genre, but I just don't enjoy it.

I know there are plenty of other readers here at Goodreads who enjoy the fantasy genre, so don't give up! Keep asking until you find reader that you trust, and go for it. I know that most authors have many readers and get valuable input from them.

Best wishes, and keep writing,
Polly

message 4: by Polly (new)

Polly Zetterberg | 75 comments I neglected to add that my best beta reading genres include nonfiction (memoir, food, cookbooks) and fiction (mystery, suspense, literary).

message 5: by Gala (new)

Gala | 48 comments Hi Polly,

I have a 50k complete Crime and Mystery manuscript completed and I'm looking for some to take a look at it.

I've been working on plot holes. Anything that would stand out in a negative way is what I'm looking out for.

Please let me know if your interested in reading it.

Thanks,

Gala

message 6: by Polly (new)

Polly Zetterberg | 75 comments Hi Gala-
I am interested, but am scheduled out to the end of March. If we could work out something for April, then please reply!
Polly

message 7: by Rickey (new)

Rickey Clay (Rickeyclay) | 10 comments Polly wrote: "Hi Gala-
I am interested, but am scheduled out to the end of March. If we could work out something for April, then please reply!
Polly"

Hello Polly, as a patient man I am more than willing to wait for your next open slot. I have an 80k manuscript that I just finished which I would love your expertise to digest. It is a crime noir. If this is up your alley or something you're willing to postdate availability for, please let me know. Thank you.

message 8: by Polly (new)

Polly Zetterberg | 75 comments Rickeyclay wrote: "Polly wrote: "Hi Gala-
Polly"

Hello Polly, as a patient man I am more than w..."

Greetings-
I will be scheduling reading out in April, most likely after the middle of the month.
Please see my website for my approach to reading and rates.
I look forward to planning your MS into the schedule.
Polly at http://zetterbergediting.com

message 9: by Polly (new)

Polly Zetterberg | 75 comments Polly wrote: "Rickeyclay wrote: "Polly wrote: "Hi Gala-
Polly"

Hello Polly, as a patient m..."

Greetings-
April is tomorrow, ad I'm no fool. Open schedule or reading by next week. Still need a reader?
Polly

message 10: by Kathleane (new)

Kathleane O'Leary | 18 comments Hi Polly,
I have a 17k word book which instructs the reader on how to make any diet more effective. Six sections: Low Carb, Paleo, Gluten Free, Low Calorie, Food Combining, Vegetarian and Vegan.

I'm looking for bird's eye feedback rather than grammar and spelling. I would love to know what you find confusing or conflicting, missing or repetitive.

Thank you for the service you offer,

Kathleane O'Leary

message 11: by Polly (new)

Polly Zetterberg | 75 comments Greetings Kathleane-
I would love to read through your manuscript. It fits nicely with my love of cooking, and, of course, developmental editing.
Please send the document on to my email: zeepolly@gmail.com
Please also let me know your timeline for receiving my comments.
Thanks!
Polly

message 12: by Kathleane (new)

Kathleane O'Leary | 18 comments Polly, thank you for your kind and prompt reply. Given that you mention that you have an interest in cooking I wanted you to know that this is not a recipe book, although it will help you to construct or modify recipes to be more healthy. I do have another book that is a recipe book "14 Days - 14 Pounds: Low Carb Daily Plan + 140 Quick & Easy Recipes". This book is 181 pages. If you would prefer to read that one (or both) just let me k now.

message 13: by Polly (new)

Polly Zetterberg | 75 comments Hi Kathleane
Both manuscripts would be great.
I am in the process of getting a cookbook editor certificate and I have all the best resources at my fingertips.
Glad to edit whatever you feel like sending!
zeepolly@gmail.com
Looking forward to learning what you have to teach!
Polly