The Challenge Factory discussion

Special Delivery (Special Delivery, #1)
This topic is about Special Delivery
2014 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Zuzana, ~Melissa~ & Ezinwanyi - Special Delivery

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5344 comments Mod
Zuzana, ~Melissa~ & Ezinwanyi - Special Delivery

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Yeah! Ezi - I was telling Zuzana - I will probably read this one next week (Wednesday ish start)as I wanted to read it in April since she was an AOM and just never got to it- will put stuff in spoilers. Can't wait.

message 3: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16144 comments Mod
I liked the cover...I chose books on covers.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Ezinwanyi~still loves Spartacus wrote: "I liked the cover...I chose books on covers."

lol

message 5: by Zuzana (last edited Apr 30, 2014 10:01PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zuzana | 1056 comments I have the book. YAY! I'm going to start this night. So the plan is I'll keep you company, Melissa.

Ezinwanyi~still loves Spartacus wrote: "I liked the cover...I chose books on covers."

Well, this cover is pretty good. Special Delivery (Special Delivery, #1) by Heidi Cullinan

But I have the original one: Special Delivery (Special Delivery, #1) by Heidi Cullinan And I really don't like it. The guys look too similar. It just gives off an incest-y vibe. Glad they changed it.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Oh - that is kinda creepy

message 7: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

I thought the kid was kind of creepy in the beginning too

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Ezinwanyi~still loves Spartacus wrote: "I thought the kid was kind of creepy in the beginning too"

well, now that doesn't sound good lol
I just meant the cover looked creepy - now I find out the guy is creepy :) can't wait to crack the book

message 9: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was kidding. he's not creepy at all.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments well that's better :) ~ did you like this one more or less than Life Lessons

message 11: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hmmm, very different kind of book.
None of that mystery, police procedural stuff.

This one was easier to read. Life Lessons takes me about 4-5 days to read. This one had heroes who were very clear about their sexual orientation.

I think I enjoyed Special Delivery more that Life Lesson Book 1...but I enjoyed Rebuilding Year better than both books

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments good to know. i need a break from gfy - i think i've read too many recently :)

message 13: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

nope. characters already gay and looking to play

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments I'm prob going to start Bound by Law tomorrow and try to do #3 right after so I can get to #4 next week. I'll let you know when I'm done

message 16: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

cool

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Hey Z - I decide to wait til Fri to see if this will work for MM Bingo shelf called. If not I'll probably read it for my free space.

message 18: by Zuzana (last edited May 11, 2014 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zuzana | 1056 comments I have the book in pdf and I can't convert it to any Kindle friendly format. That means I have to read on my PC which I hate. So don't be surprised if I read only about a chapter a day. :(

Anyway, this one's gonna be challenging. I checked the synopsis and noticed that it's shelved as erotica, bdsm and menage. Well, I usually avoid all these genres. I guess I need to brace myself. ;)

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Ok I'm up to chapter 14. Some random thoughts so far (view spoiler)

message 20: by Zuzana (last edited May 11, 2014 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zuzana | 1056 comments After chapter 1

It's pretty depressing. Sam's guardians seem to be cold mean greedy type. His only (?) friend seems to be way too bossy. And don't let me start about his sex life.

Seriously, the first scene was too much. It made Sam look like a pathetic slut. And then on his way home, spotting a random guy's jeans-clad backside makes him get a boner? Pathetic. Then he lets a total stranger fuck him in the alley. What?!

"his mind was blank, still melting down to oh God oh God oh God, his dick helping nothing by pulsing like a nuclear bomb inside his pants." Like a nuclear bomb inside his pants?! I rest my case.

Well, this story is set in Iowa. I need an Iowa book for another challenge and that's the reason I'll stick around to see what happens next.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Yes - his Aunt and Uncle leave a lot to be desired!! I kind of liked his friend - even though - yes she is bossy. At least she cares about him.
This is part of what I wrote in my spoiler >> I don't quite understand Sam's need to feel like a slut but what he was doing with the assholes from his hometown - horrid. Not sure how you would want to keep doing that - again granted not my thing so I realize I won't really get it - especially with people who don't really know or care for you. Only worried about themselves getting off.

Zuzana | 1056 comments It's like you read my mind, Melissa. ;)

Well, this type of wildly promiscuous is the one kind I really don't get. Come on, who would want to feel like a cheap whore?

I'll be struggling with this one.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Ezi - question if you can answer without spoiling anything great - otherwise I'll keep reading (view spoiler)

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Zuzana wrote: "It's like you read my mind, Melissa. ;)

Well, this type of wildly promiscuous is the one kind I really don't get. Come on, who would want to feel like a cheap whore?

I'll be struggling with this ..."

Yeah - it's never really been my thing - sometimes I wish I could go back and loosen up a little bit but then - it's totally not my personality. I kind of really have to know who I'm with - not into hook ups all that much. Totally not into someone treating me like crap - at all - huge deal breaker for me. So it's hard to see why he likes this - I do get that everybody has their own things that they like. This is just ind of hard to take - granted - I can think of some other things that I probably wouldn't be able to finish reading. Then I think this isn't so bad lol. Mitch is actually really nice to Sam - unlike the guys back home.

message 25: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa:
(view spoiler)

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Oh - I didn't even think of that - I thought (view spoiler)

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Zuzana - IMO it does get better about 1/2way through. Lots of oddness/weirdness between Sam & Mitch along the way though.

I finished this up last night. Thoughts (view spoiler)

message 28: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

The aunt is a mean cow...not as crazy as Brenda in Life lessons, but a mean witch nonetheless.

I wish theauthor didn't make the beginning with Sam so weird. He isn't a bad kid. She just made him look so pathetic with his need to be degraded. that was yuck for me.

I really liked Mitch though

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Ezinwanyi~still loves Spartacus wrote: "The aunt is a mean cow...not as crazy as Brenda in Life lessons, but a mean witch nonetheless.

I wish theauthor didn't make the beginning with Sam so weird. He isn't a bad kid. She just made him l..."

Yes, total yuck factor. I'm guessing that she wanted to whole feel of how 'different' Sam and Mitch would be/seem. Small town kid -vs- well traveled older man. Plus - it's not like Sam had a ton of options in his town.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Aunt was a bitch - someone always has to be a hater.

message 31: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Melissa~ wrote: "Aunt was a bitch - someone always has to be a hater."

you know, I wish m-m authors could write women without villianizing them. The women can disagree for religious purposes but they don't necessarily have to be mean-spirited either. Some of these authors write some hateful women characters.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments it would be nice - when you find one let me know LOL
There always has to be someone not digging what you're doing esp with it being mm - you have haters in mf too and again usually it's the women being jealous of what the other woman has imo

message 33: by Zuzana (last edited May 14, 2014 10:27PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zuzana | 1056 comments I'm beginning chaper 5. Sam just ran off with Mitch.

I'm so happy to hear that it gets better. I'm reading at snail's pace because after almost every paragraph I have to stop and have a mini-rant inside my head. It usually goes like this: "How pathetic! Stop!" "Stop whining, it's pathetic." "Stop acting like a needy psycho." "Use your brain. Is he supposed to act like a retard." "The aunt is a total bitch." "Oh Sam, stuffing your mom's ashes into a food container? How gross!" and so on and so forth. It makes for a slow reading. ;-)

I can't stand how pathetic, whiny and needy Sam is. Initially I felt sympathy towards him but along the way I just started to feel annoyed.

Sam's aunt is a bitch. And most of the things she said to Sam after discovering his hook up with Mitch was unforgivable but let's be honest what would your mother say to you if she found out you had sex with a total stranger in a semi-public place. I'm sure that my mother would use some form of "whore" in her reaction, too. And I have no doubt that she loves me with all her heart. "Whorish escapades" isn't that bad and is rather apt IMO. The rest of what was said was total BS though.

I cannot agree more about women's portrayal in mm fiction. They are either these villainous types (80 per cent) or totally supporting friends, nothing in between, no grey zone. It's baffling and I think it's just bad writing.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Like I said to Ezi - I kind of felt like all the stuff in the beginning was to show how different Sam and Mitch were. Both at totally different parts of their life, huge age gap, one with a lot of experience and one with minimal and bad experience at that. I don't think she needed to make Sam quite the whiny child to get her point across. She may have laid it on a little too thick. However by the end of the book you can definitely tell he has grown.

message 35: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

The beginning was a 2 and the ending was a 4-star. I initially rated the book 3.5 stars, but as I re-read the ending passages, I bumped it up to a 4-star. I am hoping to get book 2 in Bingo tomorrow

message 36: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 37: by Zuzana (last edited May 15, 2014 10:25PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zuzana | 1056 comments Chapter 5

Please tell me, that the super creepy playing with his mom's ashes was a one off and that it won't happen again.

I was weirded out enough by Sam contemplating the sex of previous night while holding a food conteiner (!) with his mother's ashes. But when he actually opened it and poked his finger inside?!

The beginning is a solid 1 star for me.

~Melissa~ wrote: "She may have laid it on a little too thick. However by the end of the book you can definitely tell he has grown.
"

The author wrote Sam's thought processes like he was a horny 5 year old (so far - I'm 40 per cent through). I honestly hope he'll grow up and I hope he'll start any minute now.

Funny thing is I was initially worried about the sex scenes the book being classified as a bdsm erotica and so far those were the easiest passages to read.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Yeah - Sam's thought processes due tend to be all over the place. Totally like a horny teenager!!

I was weirded out enough by Sam contemplating the sex of previous night while holding a food conteiner (!) with his mother's ashes. But when he actually opened it and poked his finger inside?! I'm pretty sure this was a one off - Chapter 5 - he was still at Aunt's house, right?? Yeah - I thought that was creepy too.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Ezinwanyi~still loves Spartacus wrote: "FYI, this is a free book: Public Display of Everything by Cara Dee
Public Display of Everything by Cara Dee

http://www.amazon.com/Public-Display-......"

I 1-clicked it :)

Zuzana | 1056 comments ~Melissa~ wrote: "Yeah - Sam's thought processes due tend to be all over the place. Totally like a horny teenager!!

I'm pretty sure this was a one off - Chapter 5 - he was still at Aunt's house, right?? Yeah - I thought that was creepy too. "

It was after he ran off with Mitch, the morning after the spanking. ;-)

And O.K., I'm relieved there'll be no more of the ashes play. Once was more than enough.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Ah - got it - I was thinking it was back in Aunts house after the phone sex incident. To an extent I get the thought of the author that Sam was trying to resolve what he liked with what his mom wanted for him - I don't think the visual of playing with her ashes was the way to go though. I think it could have been written differently and wouldn't have been creepy.

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments How are you doing Zuzana - has life gotten in the way of your book reading or did were Sam and Mitch too OTT for you?

message 43: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hey Zuzana and Melissa, this month got away from us, huh?

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Ezinwanyi~still loves Spartacus wrote: "Hey Zuzana and Melissa, this month got away from us, huh?"

I think I keep saying yes to too many things *cough* team challenges

glares at Ezi - I must learn to say no,lol - although I'm thinking I should have done R and SS in MM Bingo- still too many GB books on my list to get to.

message 45: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Melissa~ wrote: "Ezinwanyi~still loves Spartacus wrote: "Hey Zuzana and Melissa, this month got away from us, huh?"

I think I keep saying yes to too many things *cough* team challenges

glares at Ezi - I must le..."

I haven't even put a dent in the GB books

message 46: by Zuzana (last edited Jun 01, 2014 01:12AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zuzana | 1056 comments Ezinwanyi~still loves Spartacus wrote: "Hey Zuzana and Melissa, this month got away from us, huh?"

LOL! It certainly did. I can't seem to make any progress with this book. I'm stuck halfway through. Every time I pick it up I'm distracted with something more tempting to read on my Kindle.

I hate not finishing book though. So I'll try to read on next month.

message 47: by Zuzana (last edited Jun 10, 2014 10:24PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zuzana | 1056 comments Well, I'm 80 per cent through and I'm sorry but I really don't like it.

I can't believe I was worried about the sex, cause it turned out to be the least problematic part for me. The problem is Sam. I can't stand him, he started as an unfortunate slightly creepy kid with no luck in life and I was like o.k. so this is about him going on the trip and on the way he will grow up, he will start to accept himself and from a stupid kid he will become a grown-up responsible for his actions. But it didn't turn out this way. 9 chapters in, he is a well established pathetic whiner who totally creeps me out whenever he whips out his mother's ashes from his backpack. (The last instant: he SCOOPS UP (?!) part of her ashes to take with him on his disgusting Randy adventure. Why would he do that, so that his mother doesn't miss out on him letting the sleazeball licking him out for the 50 dollars Randy won in poker?!) And the last part, accepting money for sex from a guy he doesn't like, he officially graduated from a slut to a whore. And that's it.

At this point I'm not sure Sam can do anything to redeem himself in my eyes. Sorry!

Zuzana | 1056 comments The bummer is that I hate this book way more than Duck! which was so badly written it hurt my eyes to read it. And I'm sorry because the style is nowhere near the atrocity of Duck!

~Melissa~ | 5010 comments Hmmm - did I miss this part of the book because I don't remember this happening?? Seems like I'd remember?

Unfortunately you have to get almost to the end of the book to see that Sam grows up and stands up for himself in his life back in Iowa. But you have to get there. He is still feeling his way I think where you are at in the book. I can't tell.

>> However, if you really don't like anything about the book - don't put yourself through it. I ended up liking all three of the guys in the end and I really liked the half book in between 1 and 2.

message 50: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 4 stars

I liked the book better than Duck, Duck was a hot mess :D

I am sorry this one didn't work for you. dump it and move on to another book.

on my recent m-m books, i have been hitting a lot of barely average books as well. I am going to have to keep track of those people that give certain books 5-stars when they were barely tolerable.

Melissa, i still haven't cracked open Sidewinder #2...maybe tonight?

« previous 1