CITY ON FIRE by Garth Risk Hallberg readalong discussion

Book I and Book II

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kamil (new)

Kamil (coveredinskin) | 6 comments Mod
Let's please discuss Book I and Book II here.

message 2: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler Thank you for the invite! Am happy to join, but dont know yet when I will be able to read the book, probably not in March...

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 02, 2016 03:49PM) (new)

Thanks for the invite! I've already read the book and counted it as my fourth favorite book of 2015. I'll be checking in on the discussion as it goes along and adding anything I can. I hope everyone has fun reading it! Thanks.

message 4: by Kamil (new)

I've read book I, and although reading experience is a smooth one, the writing is good, I'm not very much impressed yet. It seems like a thicker a bit lesser versions of a few novels I've read not so long ago. A Visit from a Goon Squad for instance, that I love and think is brilliant, in City on Fire, the writing is not as good, the narration less impressive and it's less bold for sure. I hope it will tide up more, and be more than another social drama set in NY told form a few different perspectives with some postmodern additions to it. What do you think guys?

message 5: by Kamil (new)

It does very little for me so far. It's pretty straight forward so far story of difficulties of life of upper class white family. It breaks my heart how hard it must be. Oh those poor rich people.

message 6: by Michael (last edited Mar 09, 2016 03:00AM) (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I have almost finished book one, but I agree it is pretty straight forward. I would say something similar to The Goldfinch. Entertaining with some obvious themes but makes a nice change from Underworld

message 7: by Kamil (new)

For couple of hundred pages already I enjoy it more than I did page 1-200. Definitely the plot is tighter, it's quite interesting. The writing is easy and clean, nothing deep or game changing, but it's not like it everything it has to be. Good, engaging story so far. Pretty good characters development. Enjoyable, nice change, as Michael noted after Underworld, that felt like Marathon to me.
Having said all of that its a story I could listen on audio and wouldn't feel like I'm missing on something. I'm thinking about switching to that medium at least while running or in the car. This is type of the book that would go well with that.

CITY ON FIRE by Garth Risk Hallberg readalong

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Underworld (other topics)
The Goldfinch (other topics)