Books2Movies Club discussion

This topic is about 1984
Monthly Reads > 1984 - book and movie

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ztook) | 2875 comments Mod
1984 by George Orwell is a book written in 1949, yet its depiction of a gloomy dystopian world where love is forbidden and the eye of government is everywhere is still sure to entice the imagination of many readers. It is after all the book that inspired a lot of other famous writings, such as V for Vendetta.
The book was freely adapted already in 1956 (directed by Michael Anderson and starring Edmond O'Brien, Donald Pleasence, Michael Redgrave), but Nineteen Eighty-Four released appropriately in 1984, is that movie everyone is still talking about.
Have you read the book? Have you seen the movie? Please share your thoughts and ideas here with us!

Travis (travistousant) | 58 comments Have not seen movie. While I like the ideas Orwell had the book is just horrendous. I gave it 3 or 4 stars just because of the ideas. Other wisr as far as my enjoyment. Maybe a 1 star. It is just so depressing.

April (aprilvoytkokempler) My husband absolutely insisted I read this book. You could say I was pressured into it. I'm glad he did, because it is one of my favorite books. Depressing, yes, but haunting. the language stayed in my mind long after I had finished reading it. I recommend it, although I have not seen the movie either. I just can't look at simple things like a paperweight the same way! I refer to things as the Ministry of Love and so on. I really liked this book.

Summer (paradisecity) | 19 comments I haven't read this before and on my first time through, it's a bit hard to feel invested in any of the characters. They're all kind of terrible thus far, but perhaps that will change. As others have said, I really appreciate the ideas and may appreciate them more than the execution.

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments Mod
I have read it twice now, and I remember liking it more the first time, maybe because it feels dated to me now. I've never seen one of the film versions, other than V for Vendetta, but as it's not really an adaptation, I won't count that one. I think the ideas he presents are good warnings to us, but it does get tedious in places.