All About Books discussion

General Archive > Love or Loath Series?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl Do you tend to look for stand-alone books or dive into the first book of a series, especially if it's free? How about if it's Book ONE but there are several more already written and available, does that persuade you to give it a shot?

(If you see a free book but it's, say, Book FIVE of a series, do you move along?)

I read a lot of fantasy, and have found at least four indie authors who became favorites of mine when I got their first book in a series free, and have since bought everything they write. I do still hesitate though when Book ONE is available, but there is no imminent release date for Book TWO. I will sometimes ask at Amazon or Goodreads if the book ends in a cliffhanger. I need some resolution, particularly if the rest of the series may not happen for months, years, ever.

message 2: by Gill (last edited Mar 01, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Interesting question, dj zippergirl. I can think of 1 series recently where I got the first book because it was free, and realised I'd like to read more of the series. It was The Gauguin Connection. It was much better than I expected. I've now bought the next 2 in the series, mind you only for 99p each! I wouldn't have bothered if it was the final book on offer for free.

message 3: by Portia (new)

Portia Cliffhangers can be a pain. I often will wait to read a series until the next book(s) are also available.

message 4: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie On the whole I do not like series. I think they drag and get boring. Cliffhangers are terrible. I don't think I should be forced to buy another book to finish the story.

message 5: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13415 comments Mod
Generally speacking I like series, if I like the first book and/or the author. I feel at home reading "what happened next", after the famous "And they lived happily everafter".
For instance Trollope's Barset Series, even if for each book has a different set of main characters, tells the "destinies" of characters of the other books. Nice.

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I have read a lot of series, starting as a child with Anne of Green Gables, Nancy Drew etc. I prefer series in which each book can function as a stand-alone because I agree with Chrissie about cliffhanger endings. Though I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy in which a cliffhanger does end the first book so obviously I am flexible.

While I have read some very long series (Angela Thirkell's Barsetshire series for example), I don't have any problem with abandoning one if I find the books becoming too predictable or just declining in quality.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 453 comments Game of Thrones was one of the best series I've read. Although, I did read them all in succession but now waiting for the next one is frustrating.

message 8: by Caecilia (last edited Mar 03, 2016 07:07AM) (new)

Caecilia Saori stand-alone.

I like a book to be original.
unique. and a bit of, crazy.

a sequel can never beat the very first volume in originality.

message 9: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 3 comments When I look for books I don't go specifically looking for series or standalones but the majority of books I read end up being series or at least connected in some way.

I have found quite a few good series on Goodreads that I got the first book free. I don't mind cliffhangers.

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 700 comments Jen wrote: "Game of Thrones was one of the best series I've read. Although, I did read them all in succession but now waiting for the next one is frustrating."

That's the reason I haven't read them yet. I won't start a series until it is complete because I can't stand waiting for the next installment.

message 11: by Caecilia (new)

Caecilia Saori Ruth wrote: "That's the reason I haven't read them yet. I won't start a series until it is complete because I can't stand waiting for the next installment. ."

good point. I started Game of Thrones many years back, but stopped at Book no. 3 because all those names and houses had me overly confused. Plus - yes, I admit - I figured that the tv show was really well-made, too (and less confusing) ;-)

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 700 comments My mother has read them and says she'll probably be dead before he finishes them (she's 86). I told her HE would probably be dead before he finishes them. Lol

message 13: by Caecilia (new)

Caecilia Saori Ruth wrote: "My mother has read them and says she'll probably be dead before he finishes them (she's 86). I told her HE would probably be dead before he finishes them. Lol"

... L O L , indeed! ;-)