Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Mass Market Paperbacks

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Millington | 157 comments Is there a definition anywhere of what is a Mass Market Paperback? Is it based on the size of the book? I have seen it used for large format art books which I don't think is correct.

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13658 comments Yes, it's based on size. Height about 18 cm (I'll leave it to someone else to convert in inches). The standard Penguins with orange spines, f.e., are mass-market paperbacks.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
There's also this discussion from 2011.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13658 comments Very interesting discussion!

Shame that apparently it was decided not to have just hardcover and paperback. The thread shows that most non-Americans are not familiar with the term 'mass-market paperback', and thus add books as 'paperback' instead of 'mass-market paperback', which means having to search more than one category if you're looking for a specific format.

I really liked James' idea to have optional subcategories such as MMP and trade.

What Americans call MMPs, we in the Netherlands call pockets, or pocketboeken. Some of the oldest collections/imprints are Salamander (Querido), Prisma (Het Spectrum) and Zwarte Beertjes (Bruna).

Later on, when other formats started to appear, the term 'paperback' was introduced. I think a lot of older people still call every paperback 'pocket' though.

At some point I sort of gathered that MMP meant pocket, but I had no idea how f.e. a trade paperback was different from other paperbacks until my favourite (American) bookstore wrote a blog post about it: http://www.abc.nl/blog/?p=38162 :)

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Millington | 157 comments Many thanks for the replies, very helpful. I would equate MMP to what we in the UK call A-format paperbacks.