Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Battling Boy / Paul Pope

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen (whosemuse) | 9 comments Greetings,
I'm a relatively new GR librarian and I encountered this book in my actual librarian job, so I thought I'd bring it up here and see if anyone has figured out how to deal with it.

The series is Battling Boy by Paul Pope, published by First Second. The first title is Battling Boy, but it's an unnumbered volume. The second title, The rise of Aurora West, is actually numbered 1 in the series, and the next volume, The fall of the house of West, is number 2. GR has it numbered as 1-2-3 for the 3 volumes, but they are clearly numbered on the spines, and the publisher's web site confirms that the original Battling Boy is not technically a part of the series.

As an IRL librarian who often uses GR as a reference for these kinds of numbering issues, can I just change this? I figured I'd run it past this forum before I did anything rash.

Thanks!

message 2: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 1370 comments I don't know how to solve this, but I will bump this thread for someone solve it.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43546 comments Mod
Is it possible that first volume is an omnibus which includes 2 or 3 of the others?

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (whosemuse) | 9 comments No, as I described, the first volume is just called Battling Boy. The second volume begins the story of the character of Aurora West, and the third volume is the second in her story. I haven't read the books, only catalogued them for my school district, and I read this post from the publisher, which notes that the second volume is sort of a "spin-off" of the first: http://www.firstsecondbooks.com/books... But the series is clearly called Battling Boy. (Obviously publishers don't think about libraries when they create these series!)

I think the only thing to do is to un-number the original Battling Boy and begin the numbering with The rise of Aurora West, which seems to be how the publisher intended.

In any case, Goodreads should not number the series as we have, since the volume numbers are printed on the spines of the books, and they do not match. We shouldn't add to the confusion!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43546 comments Mod
Actually, in that case I would number it as 0 in the series, and mark it non-primary.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (whosemuse) | 9 comments Okay. Can I do that, as a Librarian here? I'm not sure what "non-primary" means.

message 7: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20800 comments Yes, you can do that.

There is a tickbox. For book 0 you have to untick it.

message 8: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20800 comments Set The Fall of the House of West as book 0, non-primary.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (whosemuse) | 9 comments Arenda wrote: "Set The Fall of the House of West as book 0, non-primary."

Arenda, to clarify, it is the original volume, simply titled Battling Boy, which is to be set as non-primary. I'll give it a shot.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (whosemuse) | 9 comments Okay I think I figured it out. Thanks for your input :)

message 11: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20800 comments Arenda wrote: "Set The Fall of the House of West as book 0, non-primary."

Sorry, I got the wrong book set as book 0.

message 12: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20800 comments Karen wrote: "Okay I think I figured it out. Thanks for your input :)"

Looks fine. I have only reordered them: https://www.goodreads.com/series/9999...

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (whosemuse) | 9 comments Looks great, thanks :)