Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > Feminist Non-Fiction

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joan (new)

Joan (joanjmp) | 6 comments Good afternoon to everyone,

I've recently started to read more feminist non-fiction, but I've reached a point where I can't find anything else to read, and Google always shows me non-fiction books about feminism I've already read (which are the most popular ones, basically)

. I thought it'd be a good idea to share non-fiction books related with feminism (black, intersectional, etc.) and if they can be books that are not that well known or by an author member of a specific group within the female population (WOC, trans women, queer, lesbians, and so on), since their points of view must be very interesting.

message 2: by Ramona (last edited Mar 02, 2016 08:52AM) (new)

Ramona | 4 comments I would recommend books by feminist art history scholar Dr. Mary D Garrard for feminist non-fiction who has either authored or co-authored many feminist art history texts. She wrote the book Artemesia about the first known female painter Artemesia Gentillischi and protested the film Artemesia for its historical inaccuracies alongside feminist activist Gloria Steinem.

message 3: by Charline (new)

Charline (chaaw_) Joan wrote: "Good afternoon to everyone,

I've recently started to read more feminist non-fiction, but I've reached a point where I can't find anything else to read, and Google always shows me non-fiction books..."

Hi Joan, could you possibly make a list of the feminist non-fiction you have read so far ? I've only just started reading feminist non fiction with this book club so I would like to know what are the most popular on this genre to expand my knowledge on this subject :)

message 4: by Portia (new)

Portia I am about to read All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation. I heard the author on Fresh Air on NPR recently and was impressed by the way she addressed the generational divide that is being highlighted by this year's Democratic primaries.

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan (joanjmp) | 6 comments Chaaw wrote: "Joan wrote: "Good afternoon to everyone,

I've recently started to read more feminist non-fiction, but I've reached a point where I can't find anything else to read, and Google always shows me non-..."

Hi

So I've read feminist non-fiction mostly on audiobook, since sometimes I lose track when I read non-fiction on paper. However, you can find them on paperback and hardback editions

A Room of One's Own
How to Be a Woman
Bad Feminist (I didn't finish this, but you might like it)
Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned" (A memoir with feminism. There're different opinions about it)
Girls Will be Girls: Dressing Up, Playing Parts and Daring to Act Differently(I highly recommend this one, it's fantastic)
The Woman Warrior (this is about Chinese culture as well)
We Should All Be Feminists

I have more books which I haven't read them yet, so I don't want to recommend them. If you want to know the titles of any of these let me know!

message 6: by Joan (new)

Joan (joanjmp) | 6 comments Portia wrote: "I am about to read All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation. I heard the author on Fresh Air on NPR recently and was impressed by the way she add..."

Added to my wishlist. Thank you so much!

message 7: by Joan (new)

Joan (joanjmp) | 6 comments Ramona wrote: "I would recommend books by feminist art history scholar Dr. Mary D Garrard for feminist non-fiction who has either authored or co-authored many feminist art history texts. She wrote the book Arteme..."

Thank you, Ramona. I'll check it out.

message 8: by Charline (new)

Charline (chaaw_) Joan wrote: "Chaaw wrote: "Joan wrote: "Good afternoon to everyone,

I've recently started to read more feminist non-fiction, but I've reached a point where I can't find anything else to read, and Google always..."

Thanks a lot Joan. I've already read Lena Dunham's book, and I had mixed feelings about it indeed. But i don't know the other books you mentioned, I'm gonna check them out :)
I'll eventually come back to you for more books, but for now these ones should be enough.
Thanks again !

message 9: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Hi there, I have a bookshelf with fiction and non-fiction novels on topics I feel belong in my own feminism. Feel free to check it out! It is under construction as I have some books without proper tags on the TBR, too.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 11 comments Hi! I would start with this one. It is amazing! http://www.amazon.com/Engendered-Live...

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 11 comments Hi! I would start with this one. It is amazing! http://www.amazon.com/Engendered-Live...

message 12: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Portia wrote: "I am about to read All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation. I heard the author on Fresh Air on NPR recently and was impressed by the way she add..."

I heard that interview too, and bought the book soon after!

I would recommend Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference.

message 13: by Cristina (new)

Cristina | 12 comments Aglaea wrote: "Hi there, I have a bookshelf with fiction and non-fiction novels on topics I feel belong in my own feminism. Feel free to check it out! It is under construction as I have some books without proper ..."

That's a great list! I'd probably check it for my future feminist readings :P

In order to answer your question, Joan, I highly recommend you The Second Sex. I've been putting it off for a while (my volume it's so big it's kinda scary), but now I'm LOVING IT. Sure there are some dry parts, and you might not agree on everyhing, but it's amazingly well researched.

message 14: by Charline (new)

Charline (chaaw_) Cristina wrote: "Aglaea wrote: "Hi there, I have a bookshelf with fiction and non-fiction novels on topics I feel belong in my own feminism. Feel free to check it out! It is under construction as I have some books ..."

Thanks for sharing your bookshelf Aglaea, it's great :)

Cristina I've decided to read The Second Sex as well, I can't wait to find a copy and start reading it !

message 15: by Cristina (new)

Cristina | 12 comments Chaaw wrote: "Cristina I've decided to read The Second Sex as well, I can't wait to find a copy and start reading it ! "

I'd love to hear your impressions! Could you post them here? Cause I need to talk about it, and I feel like I'm starting to bore all my friends with my endless reflections :P

message 16: by Charline (new)

Charline (chaaw_) Cristina wrote: "Chaaw wrote: "Cristina I've decided to read The Second Sex as well, I can't wait to find a copy and start reading it ! "

I'd love to hear your impressions! Could you post them here? Cause I need t..."

Haha I know the feeling ! I don't know when I'll be able to read it but I'd love to talk about it with you when I'm finished :)

message 17: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 149 comments Girls A History of Growing Up Female in America by Penny Colman

I found this in the library and am going to give it a try.

message 18: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenc) | 1 comments I am reading this now and it is superb. I highly recommend it!

message 19: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 149 comments I can't believe I forgot to add this one. I read it in uni and loved it.

Kabul Beauty School An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil by Deborah Rodriguez

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara | 6 comments I recently read "Just A Daughter" by Sarita Skagnes, which I would recommend.

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1 comments I remember reading Patriarchy and Accumulation on a World Scale: Women in the International Division of Labour by Maria Mies while at uni. It remains memorable because I both agreed and disagreed with points in the book. I do recommend.