Rothfussians discussion

General > Today is the five-year anniversary of the publication of TWMF!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chêtto (new)

Chêtto (chtto) | 1 comments So! It's been five years , many.......MANY! Re-Readings later my wife came with the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea that the publication of Book III The Doors of Stone is been purposely late because of the TV Adaptation.
I know that anger and frustration have been largely discussed to exhaustion, but for me, this is a whole new level of fear and uncertainty, what do you guys think?
Cheers everyone!

message 2: by Samuel (new)

Samuel (sajcripp) | 29 comments I seriously hope this isn't the case. If it is, the third installment has already been ruined due to it being crafted towards a different medium--film rather than text. Those influences will change the story. The same thing is assuredly happening with G.R.R. Martin's series.

message 3: by JaphiaHart (new)

JaphiaHart | 66 comments I doubt it. I think it would be better to release the end of the trio loft before the tv adaptation. To Avoid them problems game of thrones is experiencing.

Especially since tv shows in development may or may not ever see the light of day. It could be years before we see kingkiller on screen.

message 4: by Samuel (new)

Samuel (sajcripp) | 29 comments Very good point, Japhia! There has been a lot of controversy over the rights of the show, so who knows? Maybe it won't ever come to the screen. I wouldn't mind all that much, tbh.

message 5: by KingKiller (new)

KingKiller (thekingkiller) | 5 comments And we're still no more closer to the last book

message 6: by Manda (new)

Manda | 115 comments I really doubt this is the case. Why would DAW delay a book release to garner profits for Lionsgate? They will see a bump in sales when the show airs regardless. And I don't think PR would jeopardize his relationship with his publisher by stringing them along that way.

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 2 comments Wait a minute. There's going to be a TV adaptation? Wow.

message 8: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 1471 comments Mod
I don't think this is the case either. He's been speculating it wouldn't release until 2017ish for a while. Though the wait is getting a bit tedious, I think overall he'll stay true what he planned all along, it's been a great success so far. The TV Writers should be catering more to him than likewise.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 02, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Xetws wrote: "So! It's been five years, many.......MANY! Re-Readings later my wife came with the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea that the publication of Book III The Doors of Stone is been purposely ..."

I highly doubt this. Although it is scary, I don't think Pat would do that. Most likely, the book will be released before the show, as that would probably help sales on both ends, as well as avoid any plot/timing issues that could occur in a Game of Thrones-like situation as Samuel mentioned. And, with any luck, the show will be similar in production to the Harry Potter movies, where JK Rowling was essentially a secondary director, and the dialogue from the book was practically the script. Hopefully, Pat will be given full creative control, and the authority to make changes where he sees fit.

message 10: by Slick (last edited Mar 02, 2016 04:30PM) (new)

Slick | 54 comments There are a lot of components that make this series so amazing but the main reason this series is so amazing is the narrative and the way it's told... That would be hard to put that in a Movie or TV Show. The witty dialogue, the story and characters would be fun to watch on tv or at the movies but without like a $5 Billion budget it would just be drab compared to the story i have painted in my head..

I don't honestly want to talk about the wait...It's still too raw XD

message 11: by Gaard (new)

Gaard | 95 comments So, on average it takes me 3 months of listening to get through both books on my way back and forth to work....I need this new book so bad now that I've started my re-read.

message 12: by Slick (new)

Slick | 54 comments Thought it would be late 2016ish.... Shit.

message 13: by Slick (new)

Slick | 54 comments I know right!! The only thing he has said since 2014 New years eve is that it wont be out in 2015..Virtually nothing since. I remember in 2007 he was all "Oh i have already written them all, im just editing and tweaking them."

Lets just say after Pat and GRRM i have grown to appreciate Brandon Sanderson and Brent Weeks a lot more.

message 14: by Greg (new)

Greg Pat originally promised they would all be out by the end of 2009 so I struggle to trust anything he says. It's clear he's more interested in his gaming, charity work and tv show than finishing the series - probably because he know interest will die down once it's done.

Frankly I find the lack of any update since 2014 a bit disrespectful, at least give us some news on the book even if it's to say it won't be done for another 12 months (although he did say in 2007 it was already finished)!

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg Slick wrote: "I know right!! The only thing he has said since 2014 New years eve is that it wont be out in 2015..Virtually nothing since. I remember in 2007 he was all "Oh i have already written them all, im jus..."

Agreed, I'll probably get hate for this but I actually prefer Sanderson's writing anyway, especially Way of Kings.

message 16: by Slick (new)

Slick | 54 comments Brandon is an exceptional writer!! No criticism from me haha.
The Way of Kings is a masterpiece and so is Words of Radiance. Im a sucker for Brent Weeks, he hit's all the right cords with me.
Amazing magic systems and a lot grittier and darker than Brandon, That's only a personal preference though and the humor is amazing.

Mistborn and Warbreaker are good reads, i love the Cosmere but i wasn't a fan of Elantris, Alcatraz and Reckoners.