Oakville Reads discussion

Life of Pi > Question #1: First (or lasting!) impressions

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 01, 2016 04:03PM) (new)

Did you know that Yann Martel is coming to OPL at the end of this month?! Tickets will be available starting March 3rd. We'd love to see you there!

For the first question of our discussion, let's try something different ...

Whether you've read The Life of Pi recently or many years ago, or whether you're currently reading it for the first time, please share your impressions of this book in a 3-word statement/review that sums up how you feel about it.

message 2: by Allison (new)

Allison | 396 comments Loved every moment.

message 3: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Valevicius | 81 comments New comedic insights!

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 51 comments Okay read, over-rated :(

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Burns (emilymelissabee) | 124 comments Mod
So much love.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (arwen_kenobi) | 100 comments Mod
New every time.

message 7: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rocha | 17 comments Need to re-read.

message 8: by Rocio (new)

Rocio (rociofarrell) | 64 comments Memorable, profound, adventurous

message 9: by Allison (last edited Mar 02, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Allison | 396 comments So enjoying reading your mini-reviews! Tanya, yours made me laugh out loud ... I have to re-read also, and I just noticed that we have this title in its audio version in Hoopla (available instantly if you don't have a copy) ... hmmm... I think I may try listening to it this time.

Keep them coming!

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanopl) | 472 comments Mod
Simply, utterly brilliant.

message 11: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Dominato | 21 comments so amazingly imaginative

message 12: by Maureen (new)

Maureen B. | 212 comments An offering from one of my offspring when I said I couldn't think of anything:

A la mode.

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison | 396 comments Maureen wrote: "An offering from one of my offspring when I said I couldn't think of anything:

A la mode."

Served with ice cream?? :)

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 130 comments Oakville wrote: "Did you know that Yann Martel is coming to OPL at the end of this month?! Tickets will be available starting March 3rd. We'd love to see you there!

For the first question of our discussion, let's ..."

Achingly boring detail.

message 15: by Maureen (new)

Maureen B. | 212 comments Allison wrote: "Maureen wrote: :

A la mode."

Served with ice cream?? :)"

lol I know, so corny. Another of my witty ones replied: "must finish book."

message 16: by Allison (new)

Allison | 396 comments Maureen wrote: "Allison wrote: "Maureen wrote: :

A la mode."

Served with ice cream?? :)"

lol I know, so corny. Another of my witty ones replied: "must finish book.""

You have witty offspring indeed, Maureen!

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison | 396 comments I love that some of us obviously adore this book and others of us are entirely unimpressed! Such divergence in opinion should make for some pretty interesting discussions...

message 18: by Susan (new)

This divergence of opinion seems to be the norm if you look through the GoodReads reviews. As someone who loved the book, I was kind of struck by the wide range of ratings. But you're right, Allison, it will make for an interesting discussion.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Sylvia wrote: "New comedic insights!"
Syliva, you must explain. I know there were some funny lines, but comedy would not be the first thing that pops to mind for this book!

message 20: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Valevicius | 81 comments Susan wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "New comedic insights!"
Syliva, you must explain. I know there were some funny lines, but comedy would not be the first thing that pops to mind for this book!"

This is my second time through the book, Susan, and I'm giving it a closer reading. I found the first hundred pages charming and amusing...until things change, of course.
Martel's use of metaphors and irony make for delightful expression: "life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it..."
The protagonist's name issues are comical, as is his devotion to multiple religions.
The case for zoos, and the description of animal behaviour therein, is just a delight and as Pi says, "the more you look, the more you see." Pi discovers what it's like "to have an elephant search your clothes in the friendly hope of finding a hidden nut, or an orang-utan pick through your hair for tick snacks, its wheeze of disappointment at what an empty pantry your head is." Lovely humour.
The first section (for me) has the voice of Pi - the next section I find so brutal, I feel there is too much authorial intrusion. I'm about half-way through and for the most part, I thoroughly appreciate this unusual story.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Sylvia wrote: "Susan wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "New comedic insights!"
Syliva, you must explain. I know there were some funny lines, but comedy would not be the first thing that pops to mind for this book!"

This is ..."

Lovely examples, Sylvia. I know I had a good chuckle on occasion, and the laughs came unexpectedly, which is often the best kind. I remember one example - Pi was describing Richard Parker's terrible constipation, and then turned it around by saying, "Oh and while we're on the subject..." and went on to describe his own struggle with it.

And I love the story about how Richard Parker got his name when a form was filled out incorrectly and the name stuck. It's a most unlikely name for a tiger but so perfect at the same time.

Of course, there is humour as well, in Pi's name - Piscine Molitor Patel, after a swimming pool in France. His struggles with bullying because of his name are both humorous and upsetting at the same time.

message 22: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Valevicius | 81 comments Exactly! Great examples where there is that sense of fun !

message 23: by Allison (new)

Allison | 396 comments Sylvia wrote: "Exactly! Great examples where there is that sense of fun !"

Wonderful examples, Sylvia! Thank you for listing them here. I am also re-reading Pi and am thoroughly enjoying the first part all over again. This part of the story, and the character of Pi and his family/school life in Pondicherry, is totally charming the heck out of me!

message 24: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Valevicius | 81 comments Yes, Allison...I agree with you about the charm & Piscine Molitor Patel deserves the status of an iconic literary figure! May he live forever in our imaginations & discussions!

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan | 130 comments Maureen wrote: "An offering from one of my offspring when I said I couldn't think of anything:

A la mode."

Maureen - when I first read this, I didn't understand it. It was only when chatting with my daughter about the way this question was posed did the light suddenly appear. "Pi a la mode". HILARIOUS - clearly I am slower than I should be to appreciate subtle humour.

message 26: by Maureen (new)

Maureen B. | 212 comments lol I can never keep up with these guys, comic-wise. Actually, the first time I read Pi, I didn't appreciate the humour that Sylvia remarked on earlier. This time, I'm enjoying it tremendously. (And, if I recall correctly, I preferred the first half of the book so that gives you an idea of how far I've got to go!)

message 27: by Allison (last edited Mar 14, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Allison | 396 comments Maureen wrote: "lol I can never keep up with these guys, comic-wise. Actually, the first time I read Pi, I didn't appreciate the humour that Sylvia remarked on earlier. This time, I'm enjoying it tremendously. (An..."

Keep reading, Maureen! I just launched into Part 2 myself today...The Pacific Ocean ... my favourite segment of the novel, but on my second reading of the first half I realize just how much I loved that part too!