/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

The Builders
This topic is about The Builders
2016 Book Club Discussions > March 2016: The Builders - First Impressions and Spoiler Free Discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments This is where we can discuss the first half of the book, or initial impressions. *BE SURE TO KEEP THIS THREAD SPOILER FREE*

message 2: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Hoddinett (jordanhoddinett) | 1 comments Not sure if this is allowed in this thread. But it's on special for $2.84 on the Amazon AU store.

Adam Woods I enjoyed the "recruiting the team" chapters - they felt reminiscent of a heist film. Introducing the cast one at a time really helped me match the characters names with they type of animal they are.

Matthew | 21 comments I agree Adam. I'm always a fan of "getting the team back together" books. Polansky really set the tone with the lead up to their meet at the bar.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments I've heard so many good things about Daniel's work, but haven't read him before. Gonna try to get in on this one.

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Michael wrote: "I've heard so many good things about Daniel's work, but haven't read him before. Gonna try to get in on this one."

This is a good entry, though I'll say that I noted in my review for the book that I felt this was incongruous with the other novels he's written, style wise. I mean, beyond the setting and animals and such, the writing style is just a bit different.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert | 13 comments I'm still on the fence about this one. I'm usually not that into the dark stuff.

And I started a series just now.

message 8: by Lanko (last edited Mar 03, 2016 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lanko | 16 comments It appears to be a standalone book. Is this correct?

Rich Lanko wrote: "It appears to be a standalone book. Is this correct?"

Yes, it's stand alone.

message 10: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark There are still illustrated copies available
Only 75 printed

http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/i...

message 11: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt I've never read anything by this author before. But I'm really enjoying it so far. Like Adam said, the first few chapters feel like the opening to a bank heist movie where the team gets back together for one last job which is pretty neat. I'm also enjoying the setting of animals as the main characters, which is a type of book I've never read before.

Hebah (quietdissident) I may actually be able to participate this month - the novella format is perfect for my reading time this month!

I adored the first few chapters introducing everyone (and even stopped to read large chunks of intro aloud to my husband, especially Bonsoir's set-up). A bit further past the intros now, though, I'm finding it a little more difficult to keep track of everyone.

message 13: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Kennedy | 3 comments Liked the book just sooo short finished it in one sitting but enjoyed it

Benedict Patrick (benedictpatrick) | 12 comments So far, enjoying it. Like many above, the setting is the biggest appeal, and the different personalities shine through quickly (yes, Bonsoir is awesome).

I've just finished the early recruitment stuff, and am finding it pretty 'bitty' at the moment. The short chapters worked better for me when they signified a time jump as well.

Looking forward to seeing the team in action...

message 15: by Leon (last edited Mar 11, 2016 01:02AM) (new)

Leon Bey | 9 comments Yay, finally I can join in once again. I just read the first 10 pages and am surprised that I like it. I never thought I'd say that about a book about mice and weasel, oh sorry, stoats. Looking forward to join in the spoiler allowed discussion once I finished.

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments I'm very surprised, and pleasantly so by this book so far. I read Mike Cole's review about it being dark and that just isn't my thing. But to me it is exactly the opposite. Yes, the gang are desperate but the mood is light and fun. I'm having a blast with it.

message 17: by Lanko (last edited Mar 24, 2016 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lanko | 16 comments I was surprised to see everyone were animals with guns.

The recruitment was pretty cool, but I'm wondering if there might be too many characters.

Looking like it will be The Expendables with animals.

Also:

"The mouse is a curious animal. He is small and weak. If he is not slow, he is slower than the cat, the fox, and the owl, his natural predators - which is to say he is not nearly fast enough. His claws and teeth are fragile things, unsuited for violence. Generally speaking he cannot even blend in to his surroundings. In short, the mouse is perhaps the single most helpless animal on earth, blessed with nary a resource to defend himself against the cruel privations of a savage world.

Save one - the mouse knows it. The mouse is too feeble to cling to any illusions of safety. From the instant he leaves the flesh of the womb, he knows his life is there for the taking, and he grows cagey, and sharp. He sees the goshawk above him, sniffs out the polecat lurking in the shadows.

All of which is to say that when the rat leveled his sawed-off shotgun the Captain was already moving, kicking his chair backward and falling with it, the load of buckshot passing swiftly through the space he had occupied and nestling itself into Zapata's ripe and unsuspecting chest. The Captain had meanwhile shaken a holdout pistol from the sleeve of his coat, and he used the first two of its chambers to make sure his would-be assassin would not have time to regret the mistake.
The rat staggered into a corner, counting down its last breaths. The Captain turned his weapon on Zapata, though he realized swiftly that the armadillo no longer presented a threat."

message 18: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 5 comments Just joined reddit, this group and finished this book. Really good timing for once.

I did this in audio and the narrator Corey Gagne was excellent.

Like the rest of you I really liked the recruitment chapters. I didn't know that the characters were animals coming in but it works well.