21st Century Literature discussion

What to Read > April 2016 Wild Card Nominations

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2160 comments Mod
No sooner have we chosen our April open pick The End of Days, then it's time to nominate for the April Wild Card. For newer members unfamiliar with the Wild Card, please check out "How Things Work" in the welcome thread. Wild Card discussion will start on April 15th. Happy nominating!

message 2: by Portia (last edited Mar 01, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Portia I nominate Between Shades of Gray and would be happy to moderate.

The book is listed as historical drama in one place and YA in another. It is the story of a young Lithuanian girl and her family after WWII.

message 3: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 36 comments I'd like to propose Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard by Lawrence M. Schoen.

This book is listed among the current Nebula Award nominees for 2015, a science fantasy book that looks quite unique.

message 4: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2719 comments Mod
Wow--both those nominations look great!
I'm going old-school with my nomination and since I don't believe this group has ever tackled a graphic novel, I'll nominate one of the best, Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth.

message 5: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2354 comments I nominate ETA - Estimated Time of Arrest by Delphine Pontvieux, a political thriller set in Spain that is also classified by Amazon as "romantic suspense." It was published in 2009 and is available only in hardcover and e-book.

message 6: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 124 comments Linda wrote: "I nominate ETA - Estimated Time of Arrest by Delphine Pontvieux, a political thriller set in Spain that is also classified by Amazon as "romantic suspense." It was p..."

This book sounds intriguing to me.

message 7: by Teanka (new)

Teanka | 36 comments And I'm intrigued by the graphic novel, Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth. Never heard of it and would like to try.

message 8: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 397 comments I know there are some legit reasons why recently published books are often underdogs, but I really want to read The Lost Time Accidents. It seems quite intriguing and genre ambivalent.

message 9: by Whitney (new)

Poll will go up tonight, so get any last minute nominations in!

message 10: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 1692 comments Mod
I nominate The Pyramids of London.

message 11: by Whitney (new)

Okay, the nominations are closed and the poll is up! Some good choices, as usual. Poll is here and also available from the homepage. It will be open trough March 15th.

P.S. People are always welcome to discuss their choices and try to sway other peoples votes! (Just no forming super PACs, please.)

message 12: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2354 comments Casceil wrote: "I nominate The Pyramids of London."

Steampunk - that would be a new adventure for us!

message 13: by Whitney (new)

Poll will close tomorrow, get your last minute vote finagling in now!

message 14: by Whitney (new)

And the winner is The Lost Time Accidents, which does indeed look intriguing.

Zulfiya, would you care to moderate?

message 15: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 397 comments Count me in

message 16: by Whitney (new)

Sweet.