Grimdark Fantasy discussion

Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
This topic is about Magician
Group Reads Discussions > Magician: Apprentice [NO spoilers]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris, kingtermite (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris (kingtermite) | 468 comments Mod
The March group read is "Magician: Apprentice" by Raymond E. Feist. This thread is for discussion of the book, but may NOT contain any spoilers

Magician Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1) by Raymond E. Feist

message 2: by Chris, kingtermite (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keeping in mind that Magician: Apprentice is just the first half of what was one just one book.

You can't really read it without reading the second half, Magician: Master.

Magician Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2) by Raymond E. Feist

Silvana (silvaubrey) This book has the wise old magician, orphaned young boy, plucky princess, tons of likeable characters... what else? Yet I am still drawn to the story so far.

message 4: by Chris, kingtermite (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvana wrote: "This book has the wise old magician, orphaned young boy, plucky princess, tons of likeable characters... what else? Yet I am still drawn to the story so far."
What else?
Gods, travel between worlds, seeing the maturity grow in a king-to-be, etc...

Brittany | 552 comments Mod
One of my favorite tropes is rags to riches and the unlikely hero so I'm trusting in you, Chris that Pug is going to quickly become a favorite of mine :)

message 6: by Chris, kingtermite (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brittany wrote: "One of my favorite tropes is rags to riches and the unlikely hero so I'm trusting in you, Chris that Pug is going to quickly become a favorite of mine :)"
You know me. I'm totally trustworthy.

Chris wrote: "Brittany wrote: "One of my favorite tropes is rags to riches and the unlikely hero so I'm trusting in you, Chris that Pug is going to quickly become a favorite of mine :)"
You know me. I'm totally ..."

HAHAHAHA! I just bought it for a keeper

Silvana (silvaubrey) Anyone here read the whole Riftwar Cycle?

Mark | 113 comments Silvana wrote: "Anyone here read the whole Riftwar Cycle?"

read everything he has written.

message 10: by Chris, kingtermite (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvana wrote: "Anyone here read the whole Riftwar Cycle?"

Yes, 20+ years ago. It was one of my favorite series that really got me into Fantasy "back in the day".

Silvana (silvaubrey) So, after the next two books in the Saga, which series I should read? The Serpent war? Or individual book? I like the synopsis of the King's Buccaneer since Amos is one of my fave characters.

message 12: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 113 comments Read kings buccaneer before the serpent war.

message 13: by Mark (last edited Mar 08, 2016 09:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 113 comments http://www.crydee.com/raymond-feist/r... or http://www.crydee.com/raymond-feist/r...

first is the written order 2nd is the chronological order, author recommends the written order but its up to what you can get hold off.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Thanks a bunch, Mark! I feel a bingeread coming up.

message 15: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 113 comments Your welcome. I am looking forward to his new book.

Gahhh! I keep seeing notifications in the spoilers thread. I'm still waiting on my copy :(

message 17: by One (new) - rated it 4 stars

One (joramvandebeld) | 6 comments I read Feists complete works too, about 10 years ago. His writing style is very easy to read, so his books are real pageturners. I think I enjoyed the Krondor sons set and the book Jimmy the Hand the most.