Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > Science & Technology - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5949 comments Mod
In March we will be reading the Science & Technology winner, Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond Blackfish, as a group. Have you read any of the other nominees for the Science & Technology award? Which have you read and what did you think? Did it deserve to be nominated? Which was your favorite? Do you plan to read any of them in the future? Discuss here!

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4071 comments Mod
Yeah, definitely not my kind of read

message 4: by Reija (last edited Mar 05, 2016 01:47AM) (new)

Reija | 101 comments ^the most interesting genre maybe.. :)

I have read Rain: A Natural and Cultural History which could have been more interesting if there were more actual rain and less cultural stuff and also The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness which was personal fan letter to her dear octopuss friends. Not very interesting, for example this months group read is taking little more critical take (what I read so far) and I think it works better.

I think I try to read couple more, at least those crime/forensics books sound interesting and maybe brain stuff too and perhaps dolphin story. I try to fit them some of my yearly challenges.

message 5: by Savanes, Moderator (last edited Mar 05, 2016 02:53AM) (new)

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
I haven't read any but I'm really interested in Gut, Come as you are and Brain maker.
I'm generally not a non fiction person but I have to say I like this science and technology category

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5949 comments Mod
It's not really my genre either, Lynn. I feel like I would find a lot of them interesting in article form, but often the books get repetitive and feel long. I'm curious about Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA and More Tell Us About Crime though. I don't know if I'll ever read it, but it looks interesting. I'll be interested to see your thoughts on it, if you read it, Reija.

message 7: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments If I read nonfiction (which I rarely do), it's usually science related. Many of the science books in this category seem more like memoirs or otherwise nutrition guidebooks that may or may not be scientific at all. I might read the octopus one since I love these animals. I found the category frustrating since it is one that I love, but most of the nominees were just not adequate for it imp. Plus, it makes no sense to combine science with books on Steve Jobs etc. I wish they would choose the nominees for all categories more carefully. But, then again these days nominees make you wonder about the sanity of the world...