Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

What Are You Reading? > What Are You Reading? - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 38 comments Mod
Have you found a new author? Did you discover a new love for a genre that you haven't reading in a long time? Share with us some of the books that you have been loving lately.

message 2: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
I'm listening to Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah but I'm finding it over long. She goes into way to many details about the clothes and events in an effort to describe the shifts in time as it spans the 70's, 80's, 90's and beyond. I wonder if the wildly popular Nightingale by her has the same level of detail?
I am enjoying The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory more, but then I am a sucker for a well written historical novel with a lot of intrigue.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Nelson | 10 comments Mod
I just finished the excellent The Shut Eye by Belinda Bauer. An irascible, yet curiously likeable, DCI investigates the disappearances of a young girl, a toddler, and an apricot poodle. Creepy dolls and psychics also play a part! I'm currently reading Curtis Sittenfeld's riff on Pride and Prejudice - Eligible. This modern-day retelling of P & P takes place in Cincinnati (!) and the Bennett sisters are exactly how I would imagine their 21st century American selves; Kitty and Lydia, for example, are unemployed Crossfit enthusiasts who eat Paleo. I just started but I'm loving it so far.

message 4: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 38 comments Mod
At the moment, I'm reading two books: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab and Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers.

Assassin's Heart is a YA fantasy book about a world where certain people are allowed to kill people in worship of their god, Safraella, the god of death. There are 9 families that have the authority to do this and Lea, the main character, is a member of the highest ranking family. After her family is murdered, she goes on a mission of revenge against the family that she believes is responsible.

A Darker Shade of Magic is about a world where there are different versions of London and each version has a different level of magic. Kell, the main character, is able to use magic to travel between the different Londons.