2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Archives - Group Reads > Why Mermaids Sing by C. S. Harris (Sebastian St. Cyr #3) - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Mar 07, 2016 06:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10636 comments Mod
It's September 1811, and someone is killing the wealthy young sons of London's most prominent families. Partially butchered, with strange objects stuffed into their mouths, their bodies are found dumped in public places at dawn. When the grisly remains of Alfred, Lord Stanton's eldest son are discovered in the Old Palace Yard beside the House of Lords, the local magistrate turns to Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, for help.

Ranging from the gritty world of Thames-side docks to the luxurious drawing rooms of Mayfair, Sebastian finds himself confronting his most puzzling--and disturbing--case yet. With the help of his trusted allies--young servant Tom, Irish doctor Paul Gibson, and his lover Kat Boleyn--Sebastian struggles to decipher a cryptic set of clues that link the scion of a banking family to the son of a humble Kentish vicar. For as one killing follows another, Sebastian discovers he is confronting a murderer with both a method and a purpose to his ritualized killings, and that the key to it all may lie in the enigmatic stanzas of a haunting poem...and in a secret so dangerous that men are willing to sacrifice their own children to keep the truth from becoming known.

Book Discussion

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 601 comments I have it on order. The title is intriguing, and the description is horrifying. Can't wait to read it.

Me, too!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments It's been a long time since I've read this book so I'm looking forward to rereading it. I was practically at the end of the last book and I still couldn't remember who had done it. lol

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4125 comments Mod
This one has my favorite murder plot in the series (up until When Maidens Mourns). Of course, that shouldn't be a surprise because I have a "thing" for serial killers, lol!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Lauren wrote: "This one has my favorite murder plot in the series (up until When Maidens Mourns). Of course, that shouldn't be a surprise because I have a "thing" for serial killers, lol!"

Me too, lol!

Phrynne | 289 comments Loved it! Who recommended this series? Because I want to thank you. This one was brilliant. Who could have guessed that ending with Kat?

Phrynne | 289 comments That is not a spoiler. I mean the ending of the book and what happens with Kat!!!

Phrynne wrote: "Loved it! Who recommended this series? Because I want to thank you. This one was brilliant. Who could have guessed that ending with Kat?"

Yirong nominated this series.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 54 comments Enjoyed my reread of Mermaids and look forward to the discussion! I started When Falcons Fall last night (book 11). Those of you new to the series have a so many wonderful books ahead of you!

Thanks for that endorsement, Jo Ann!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Jo Ann wrote: "Enjoyed my reread of Mermaids and look forward to the discussion! I started When Falcons Fall last night (book 11). Those of you new to the series have a so many wonderful books ahead of you!"

I got #11 in the mail yesterday, Jo Ann. I am chomping at the bit to read it but I need to get through two other books first - time sensitive challenge in another group. Sebastian will be my reward for meeting that challenge. :-)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Phrynne wrote: "Loved it! Who recommended this series? Because I want to thank you. This one was brilliant. Who could have guessed that ending with Kat?"

This is where the series went from "I like it" to "I freaking LOVE it". From book four onwards it just went to the next level in my heart. I can't wait for April!

Veronica wrote: "I can't wait for April! "

Me too! I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of the series after book #4.

Okay...I'm starting this next.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments I will probably start this one mid-month.

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Mmmm I might have to put this next on my list as well!

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 601 comments Our library is closed on Thursdays, so I'll have to wait until Friday to get it.

Charlene wrote: "Our library is closed on Thursdays, so I'll have to wait until Friday to get it."

How dare they close the library!!! Lol!

Phrynne | 289 comments Ours closes on Mondays:)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 601 comments I live in Ohio, and the governor (John Kasich) has defunded the public libraries for some years in a row, to the best of my knowledge. I remember writing a fervent letter to the governor's office a couple of years ago.

So....we have fewer hours that the library is open, and there are fewer books able to be bought. A travesty IMHO.

Charlene wrote: "I live in Ohio, and the governor (John Kasich)."

Isn't that the guy running for president? Defunding libraries is reason enough not to vote for him, lol!

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Charlene wrote: "I live in Ohio, and the governor (John Kasich) has defunded the public libraries for some years in a row, to the best of my knowledge. I remember writing a fervent letter to the governor's office a..."

This is what is happening here in the UK as well :-( They are looking to have our local library run by volunteers and even some hours where it is self service! Luckily there is a very large library not much further and I have started to go there as there is more choice for my eldest.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments That is so sad :(

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 601 comments Lauren wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I live in Ohio, and the governor (John Kasich)."

Isn't that the guy running for president? Defunding libraries is reason enough not to vote for him, lol!"

Yes, it is the same guy. What a sad mess we're in... luckily one can investigate the state library system and sometimes request books that the local library doesn't have. It saves big $$$.

I finished this last night and you guys did not oversell this story. Loved it!

Questions will be posted within the next hour.

The questions are now posted. Also, the character list is in the first message.

FYI, this book was rich and themes, controversy and intrigue. Sorry for the number of questions but I didn't know what to leave out.

Book Discussion

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments I started this last night and am hooked!

Loriidae The best yet!

I agree!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments I agree as well.

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments I'm starting tonight!

Enjoy, Tracey!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Jonetta wrote: "Enjoy, Tracey!"

I second Jonetta's Enjoy!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Stephanie wrote: "Oh wow! Can't wait then... Probably next week for me though. Love how you are all enjoying it!!!"

Yay!

Monica | 860 comments Hey everyone! I apologize for the lateness of our discussion. I've had lots of family around and trips. The discussion topics will be posted tomorrow night.

I really enjoyed this one!

No worries, Monica! I already did this one.

Monica | 860 comments Well, I'm apparently so busy I can't even read the comments...

I knew you were busy so I went ahead and did this one. Hope that was okay.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments Glad you can squeeze this one in, Monica!

Monica | 860 comments Of course, Jonetta! Thank you, thank you. I only have about 10% until the end. I've really loved this one.

Thanks, Kris!

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) I'll be starting this am.

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) I just finished and gave it 5 brilliant stars!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2416 comments So glad to hear that Crystal.

Hard to put down, wasn't it?

message 46: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (last edited Mar 26, 2016 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) Jonetta wrote: "Hard to put down, wasn't it?"

Especially toward the end! Holy cow - I'm still in shock with everything that I learned and my mind is spinning on what I imagine is going to happen in the next couple of books.

I had to restrain myself from jumping right into the next book:)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) Jonetta wrote: "I had to restrain myself from jumping right into the next book:)"

I'm on hold at the library or I'd be opening it up right now... I did put the book after that on hold as well.... I can see that I won't be able to limit myself to one book a month... it's just soooooo good.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 601 comments About two days ago, I looked up all my group and buddy read series and got busy ordering the next books from the library. I'm still frustrated that one book I ordered early enough in February still has not come for the March read, so that one I re-ordered (and will probably get two copies) as well as the following one for that series.

I agree, I am glad I have so many reading commitments that I am trying to restrain myself from going ahead of the group(s). That's more about memory lost than self control, btw!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Glad you liked it, Crystal. This is one of my favorite series and it just gets better from here.

« previous 1