2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > February 2016 Round Up

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Mar 03, 2016 06:47AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10520 comments Mod
 photo image_zpsrov4ysil.png

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Delitealex
❆ Crystal ❆
Veronica
Lieke
Mary Beth
Robin
Stephanie
Viki
Tracey
Jonetta
Lauren
Laura
Melissa

message 2: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 330 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No
Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1) by A.W. Exley The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Guard Duty (Texas K-9 Unit, #3) by Sharon Dunn Lilac Wedding in Dry Creek by Janet Tronstad Mistress of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #1) by Delilah Marvelle When Lightning Strikes (1-800-Where-R-You, #1) by Meg Cabot Love in the Balance by Marianne K. Martin I hope to continue with all of them
Hunting Season (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #4) by Annie Bellet Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2) by Meg Cabot A Pizza To Die For (Pizza Lovers, #3) by Chris Cavender Elemental Moon (The Eldritch Files Book 3) by Phaedra Weldon Coltrain's Proposal by Diana Palmer 'Til Dirt Do Us Part (Local Foods Mystery, #2) by Edith Maxwell
No 5 stars but for standouts The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1) by A.W. Exley
A good reading month I read more romance this month read love inspired suspense for the first time and enjoyed it. I'm making good progress on my series. Overall I read 21 books majority were series books.

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright)

» The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon
» Highland Guard by Monica McCarty ~ Next Release June, 2016
» Carter Blake by Mason Cross ~ Next Release May, 2016

» Evan Smoak by Gregg Hurwitz - this is a new release and I'll definitely read more. I hope the next book gets finished soon!
» Harmony Black by Craig Schaefer - this is a new release. It wasn't for me and I won't be continuing the series.

Yes, I'm very happy with my progress this month. I moved forward in 10 series.
A. Charley Davidson by Darydna Jones = 1
B. Alex Cross by James Patterson = 1
C. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling = 1
D. In Death by J.D Robb = 2
E. Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly = 2
F. Jane Yellowrock by Faith Hunter = 1
G. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson = 1
H. Maggie O'Dell by Alex Kava = 1
I. Highland Guard by Monica McCarty = 2
J. Sebastian St. Cyr by C.S. Harris = 1

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - This was an audiobook for me and I loved it. 5 stars story ♫ 5 star narration. The series does take a darker turn with this book but I still loved it. But, I miss Fred and George! They are so much fun.
Seduction in Death… It was great and I loved it. Eve and Roarke are awesome… They definitely work well together and know how to kick butt.
The Striker This whole series is so amazing and this installment is no different. I loved every single second.
Orphan X 5 Roller-Coaster thrilling, scary, intense stars. This book blew me away. It felt like a fun mix between James Bond, Salt, Burn Notice and Charm School. It kept me on my toes the whole time... I was pulling hair, chewing nails, pacing around…
Lost Light Another perfect Harry Bosh book. This one was really, really great. I can't wait to read the next one.

5. Overall summary of your reading month
My goal was to read 12 books in a series and I read 17. So, I feel great about my progress.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Delitealex wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1) by A.W. Exley[bookcover:Th..."

Congrats on a good month! Liked seeing that you were pleased.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ wrote: 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?» The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon
» Highland Guard by Monica McCarty ~ Next Release June, 2016 » Carter Blake by Mason Cross ..."

Outstanding, Crystal! Ten series...really?!?

You've so teased me with Orphan X:)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) Jonetta wrote: "Outstanding, Crystal! Ten series...really?!?

You've so teased me with Orphan X:)
."

I think this is my best month yet. It feels so great to finally have my series planned and organized so that I know what I need to read to get through all the series that I'd love to read.
I hope to do just as well this month too.

Orphan X is AMAZING!!!!!! I couldn't recommend it more. It's a must read.

message 7: by Veronica (last edited Mar 01, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

Yes, got caught up with two series and came within one book of getting caught up with two more.

Wedding Bells, Magic Spells (Raine Benares, #7) by Lisa Shearin , Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8) by Patricia Briggs

Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8) by Darynda Jones , Spider's Trap (Elemental Assassin, #13) by Jennifer Estep

I started the Dark Tower series by Stephen King and I plan to continue that one. And now that Idris Elba has been cast to play the lead in the movie version I really need to get on it.

I also started the Johannes Cabal series which I really thought was wickedly charming, first book anyway. There are four books currently out (including the one I read) and a fifth is due to be published this year.

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King , Johannes Cabal The Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #1) by Jonathan L. Howard

I made progress in the following series: Elemental Assassins (Gin Blanco), Mercy Thompson, and Charley Davidson.

I very rarely give out five stars for books so, no. I did rate two books this month with four stars: The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin and Johannes Cabal The Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #1) by Jonathan L. Howard.

I loved The Fifth Season because it's the rare blend of great character development and awesome world building in a fantasy setting. The Johannes Cabal book was just satirical fun. I read the book and turned right around and listened to the audio book.

The month started out okay, with mostly books that I enjoyed to one degree or another. The latter part of the month saw me in a streak of dud books. But I'm eagerly anticipating four new releases in March (Sebastian St Cyr #11!!) so I expect my reading fortunes to start looking up soon. :-)

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes, got caught up with two series and came within one book of getting caught up with two more. 2. Did you start any new serie..."

Well done on your progress, Veronica!

I didn't know about Idris Elba and the Stephen King novel. I'll go to see that one!

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments Thanks, Jonetta. This group has definitely helped me to stay more focused with my reading.

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments Veronica wrote: "Thanks, Jonetta. This group has definitely helped me to stay more focused with my reading."

Ditto!

message 11: by Lieke (last edited Mar 01, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Lieke | 1045 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No
One, I read Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier and I will continue
One, I reread Harry Potter och Fenixorden
No 5 star books, but I liked both the series books I read a lot.
I didn't read a lot for two weeks but still satisfied with the reading I did. One of my standalone books was not my thing but I also had three good books this month :)

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

Lieke wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? One, I read Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier..."

Well, glad to see you advanced one series, Lieke!

message 13: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments 1. Did you complete/and or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes I completed the Lacey Flint Series A Dark and Twisted Tide A Dark and Twisted Tide (Lacey Flint #4) by Sharon Bolton

2. Did you start any new series? If so what where they? Will you continue?
Yes I started four new series. Smoky Garrett Series Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1) by Cody McFadyen Grant County series Blindsighted (Grant County, #1) by Karin Slaughter Walt Longmire series The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1) by Craig Johnson and Maggie O'Dell series A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1) by Alex Kava
I will continue all of them but one, the Walt Longmire series, I didnt care for it.

Two, the Lacey Flint Series A Dark and Twisted Tide (Lacey Flint #4) by Sharon Bolton and See Them Run (Lucy Kendall, #2) by Stacy Green Lucy Kendall Series by Stacy Green

Yes two 5 star books, and dont give very many of them. Blindsighted (Grant County, #1) by Karin Slaughter Blindsighted and
Shadow Man Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1) by Cody McFadyen .
I loved it because both of them are favorite authors. Also Shadow Man was my all time favorite thriller in my lifetime.

Ive read some awesome books this month. It doesnt usually happen to have two 5 star reads.
I think my overall number of books read was great, only because two weekends we had springlike weather in Ohio and was outside having fun instead of reading. Also I am reading The Fiery Cross and have read 740 pages of it which is like two books. It has 1400 pages. Should be finished with that next month. I finished 6 books.

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

Mary wrote: "1. Did you complete/and or get up to date in any series this month? Yes I completed the Lacey Flint Series A Dark and Twisted TideA Dark and Twisted Tide (Lacey Flint #4) by Sharon Bolton 2. Di..."

You're just joining and already completing a series! By the way, love the three new ones you started and plan to continue:)

message 15: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 974 comments Thanks Jonetta! I just love this group. It makes me happy when I finish a series. Glad to hear that all three are good because Im reading two of them this month and Maggie O'Dell next month. This month Im focusing on completing a lot more series, we will see how it goes.

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

I know we're glad to have you here. It's fun following your reading experiences.

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2180 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

None. Yay!

Yes, I moved forward in eight different series:
Maggie O'Dell series by Alex Kava
Troubleshooter series by Suzanne Brockmann
Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward
School for Heiresses series by Sabrina Jeffries
Navy SEALs Team Twelve series by Marliss Melton
O'Neil Family series by Kathryn Shay
Will Trent series by Karin Slaughter
Daughters of Fortune series by Lorraine Heath

My only 5-star book was The Defiant Hero (Troubleshooters, #2) by Suzanne Brockmann . I loved all of the storylines.

5. Overall summary of your reading month? Everybook I read moved me forward in a series. And, I didn't start any new series this month!

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
None. Yay! 3. Did you move forward in any series?..."

Spectacular results, Robin! Eight series progressed and no new ones...you're on track. And of course I'm happy you're enjoying Brockmann.

message 19: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 634 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No
I started the Maggie O'Dell series by Alex Kava and yes I will continue it.

I move forward in two series?: Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich and Inn BoonsBoro by Nora Roberts
The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro, #2) by Nora Roberts
Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) by Janet Evanovich
Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) by Janet Evanovich - Great addition to the series.
I did really well this month in reading. I finished all my books in my reading plan which I have never done before. I am getting a lot of reading done while feeding the newborn.

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Viki wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? I started the Maggie O'Dell series by Alex Kava and..."

I wasn't sure how much reading you'd get done with your new baby. Congrats on progressing in two series.

How's your little girl?

message 21: by Viki (new)

Viki (vikir) | 634 comments Jonetta wrote: "Viki wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? I started the Maggie O'Dell series by ..."

I wasn't sure how much reading I was going to get done too, so I was happy that I actually got time to do some reading. My daughter is doing well, she is a month old and is much more relax than her sister was at that age.

message 22: by Tracey (last edited Mar 02, 2016 05:12AM) (new)

Tracey (trakka) | 1363 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

No, I mentioned the Kate Daniels series last month with book 0.5

7 series:
1. Detective Jackson by L J Sellers - book 3
2. Maggie O'Dell by Alex Kava - book 2
3. Sebastian St. Cyr by C S Harris - book 2
4. Kinsey Milhone by Sue Grafton - book 3
5. In Death by J D Robb - book 18
6. Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore - book 3
7. Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews - book 1

No, although I did really enjoy Magic Bites.

Not as big a month as January but I am still pleased that I have progressed by 7 series. I will finish 3/4 books from my February plan this week so March will probably look a bumper month!

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

Tracey wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? No, I mentioned the Kate Daniels series last mont..."

I've been following your reading this month so I'm not surprised at how well you've done in moving 7 series forward. Well done!

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

Yes, I completed one series, the Breconridge Brothers by Isabella Bradford. I'm up to date in three series: In Death by J. D. Robb, Fatal by Marie Force and Black Dagger Legacy by J. R. Ward.

I started two but one was on my shelf, Black Dagger Legacy. The other is You by Caroline Kepnes. I definitely plan to continue both.

Yes! I moved forward in six series: I-Team by Pamela Clare, Sebastian St. Cyr by C. S. Harris, Maggie O'Dell by Alex Kava, Colorado Mountain by Kristen Ashley, Highland Guard by Monica McCarty, and SEAL Team 12 by Marliss Melton.

No 5 star reads but I had three that came close. All three were hard to put down and Kristen Ashley continues to be an author whose writing is just addictive!
Last Man Standing by David Baldacci Too Far Gone (SEAL Team 12, #6) by Marliss Melton Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain #3) by Kristen Ashley

I'm still struggling to maintain my normal reading pace, even though I anticipated as much. I finished 13 books, about three books below my norm. However, most were 400+ so that's something. I'm really happy about these group reads, though. I'm enjoying the discussions and clearing my series TBR.

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

Stephanie wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Oops -- no....2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? Yes! a. Harry Bosch
b. Smoky Barret..."

You did have a well-rounded mix, something I'm striving for this year. We're really happy, too, that you're joining the group reads!

message 26: by Lauren (last edited Mar 02, 2016 08:44AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4082 comments Mod
Yes, 1
Wild Wulfs of London by Ronda Thompson

Yes, 6 and will continue some. Will continue with 3:
After Hours by Elle Kennedy
Cold Justice by Toni Anderson
Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper

Will not continue:
Mistress Matchmaker by Jess Michaels
U.S. Marshals by Mandy Baxter
Seduction Diaries by Jennifer McQuiston

Yes, 7
Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3) by Stephanie Laurens Glory in Death (In Death, #2) by J.D. Robb Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2) by Karen Chance The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2) by Michael Connelly Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2) by Victoria Thompson Death Comes to London (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #2) by Catherine Lloyd Criminally Handsome (Kenner County Crime Unit, #4) by Cassie Miles

Nope no 5 star this month but How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper was a 4.5

18 books read this month (two more than January). I'm very pleased with my progress so far this year and I think that this groups as well as the SRC challenge are doing my reading the world of good :0)

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes, 1 Wild Wulfs of London by Ronda Thompson 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? Yes, 6 ..."

You had a wonderful month! Lots of variety, too.

Two things...I think I understand why you're not continuing Mistress Matchmaker. I read the first two and, while the stories are interesting, I struggled with the heroines. Also, you completely sold me on the Molly Harper audiobook:)

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Jonetta wrote: "Two things...I think I understand why you're not continuing Mistress Matchmaker. I read the first two and, while the stories are interesting, I struggled with the heroines. Also, you completely sold me on the Molly Harper audiobook:) "

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of heroines who are courtesans. I know that women had to do some awful things just to survive (and still do) but it is difficult to fully identify with a heroine who exchanged sex for money or favors.

I think that you will absolutely love the Molly Harper audio. Amanda Ronconi's narration is fantastic!

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Yep! That was it about the heroines.

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Jonetta wrote: "Yep! That was it about the heroines."

I knew you would get it :0)

message 31: by Laura (last edited Mar 03, 2016 05:29AM) (new)

Laura | 2160 comments My Feb reading

Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?No
I started 6new series this month.
What You Need (Need You, #1) by Lorelei James Stop at Nothing (Protect & Serve, #1) by Kate SeRine Hunted (The Profiler, #1) by Elizabeth Heiter No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner, #1) by Tiffany Snow Off Sides (Off, #1) by Sawyer Bennett . I will continue all of these. Loved them.
I read A Questionable Client (Kate Daniels, #0.5) by Ilona Andrews . I started book one after this but was a DNF. I'm not even counting it as DNF, though because it just isn't my thing. Not that it is horrible.

I moved forward in 6 series with these books.
The Last To Die (Griffin Powell, #3) by Beverly Barton Risking it All (Crossing the Line, #1) by Tessa Bailey Valentine (On Dublin Street, #5.5) by Samantha Young I'm Watching You (Romantic Suspense, #3) by Karen Rose Always Loving You (Danvers, #6) by Sydney Landon Hot Holiday Nights (Play by Play, #10.5) by Jaci Burton
I was easy to please this month. My 5 stars are
Risking it All (Crossing the Line, #1) by Tessa Bailey Valentine (On Dublin Street, #5.5) by Samantha Young Hunted (The Profiler, #1) by Elizabeth Heiter No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner, #1) by Tiffany Snow I'm Watching You (Romantic Suspense, #3) by Karen Rose Always Loving You (Danvers, #6) by Sydney Landon
I enjoyed my books, but to start 5,series and not finish any, shame shame.

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "My Feb reading Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?I started 6new series this month.[book..."

Nothing to be ashamed about, Laura. You moved forward in six series! That's also part of this challenge. And, it looks like you enjoyed a LOT of what you read. That's a win in my book.

message 33: by Melissa (last edited Mar 03, 2016 06:42AM) (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1286 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

No

I moved forward in 1: The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, Turn Coat
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11) by Jim Butcher

I really enjoyed The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I gave it 5 ★ because I really started to feel for the characters and parts of it brought tears to my eyes.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Bad reading month. Those are the only 2 books I got done last month. I'm going to try to do better this month.

message 34: by Jonetta (new)

Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? No 3. Did you move forward in any series? How man..."

Though you had a tough month, pat yourself on the back for your progress with the Dresden Files! I'm envious:)

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2160 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "My Feb reading Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?No 2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?I started 6new series this ..."

Thank you!

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2160 comments Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

No

3. Did you move forward in any series? How man..."

Sometimes real life gets in the way. I hate when that happens.

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1286 comments Very true, Laura. My husband has been out of town for 2 months (2 more to go!) and I've been busy with work and our girls. Kids keep you busy! Plus all the house chores.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 2440 comments Amazing job, everyone! Sorry for being a little MIA in posts.