Cedar Falls Public Library discussion

Books made into movies

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Since the Academy Awards were Sunday, I thought it would be fun to talk about books made into movies for the month of March. Have seen any movies lately that were originally books? If so have you read the book and how did the movie compare?

message 2: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl | 109 comments Mod
I saw "The Martian" and "Beloved" and "The Revenant" but didn't read the books to compare. Usually I end up liking the book better, but I loved all of these movies. So maybe the books would be even greater :) I guess "Bridge of Spies" was also partially based on a book (Strangers on a Bridge), but haven't read that one either.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I read The Martian before I saw the movie. They did a pretty good job. Lately I've been reading a lot more books that they have made into movies. I don't think I've gone back and read the book after seeing the movie. Has anyone done that? Saw the movie and then read the book?

message 4: by Sheryl (new)

Not exactly the same, but I recently read the novella "Fire in the Hole" by Elmore Leonard. I've never read Leonard. I was inspired to read this because I recently finished, and loved, the series "Justified." That series was based on "Fire in the Hole" so really, reading the novella was just a way for me to hang onto characters that I'd grown to love. There were a few unimportant differences in the transition to the screen, but nothing unsettling. What I noticed was that the series did a good job of capturing the essence of Leonard's characters, and the culture in which they all interacted. Good humor, great characters.

message 5: by Sheryl (new)

Well, and if TV counts, I have another. I watched the series "Outlander" and loved it. It's historical fiction with a time-travel twist. I loved it so much I decided to read the book---listening to it (Book 1 in series is 28 discs long!!!). Only about 7 discs in, but it appears to me that the tv series stays pretty true to the book. I look forward to the next season of the show. This series has been around for awhile, and is ongoing, and it's very good.