Space Opera Fans discussion

Space Opera Movie/TV tie-ins > Jupiter Ascending

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Now if this isn't space opera (Earth as part of a galactic empire and a struggle for power) then I don't know what is.

Jupiter Ascending movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvIT...

Does anybody know if this is based off of a book or manga novel?

message 2: by G. Edgar (new)

G. Edgar Murray (g_edgar_murray) I'm really looking forward to JUPITER ASCENDING. .. And i have to admit that I'm also super excited about GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, too.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) G. Edgar wrote: "I'm really looking forward to JUPITER ASCENDING. .. And i have to admit that I'm also super excited about GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, too."

Anything superhero-ish I go and see, but Jupiter Ascending looks to be a truly unique movie in the summer blockbuster lineup, something we don't usually see. And in this sea of sameness lately, anything more hardcore scifi would be great :-)

message 4: by G. Edgar (new)

G. Edgar Murray (g_edgar_murray) INTERSTELLAR looks somewhat promising, too.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) OOoh ... that looks interesting:

INTERSTELLAR TRAILER: http://www.interstellar-movie.com/

Is it me, or are interesting 'hard' science space travel movies by big-name actors/directors becoming more prevalent this year? First Gravity, and then Jupiter Ascending, and now Interstellar.

message 6: by Rion (new)

Rion  (orion1) | 108 comments So I finally got around to watching Transcendence and which trailer popped up? Yep Jupiter Ascending, and it looks awesome can't wait.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Rion wrote: "So I finally got around to watching Transcendence and which trailer popped up? Yep Jupiter Ascending, and it looks awesome can't wait."

I heard Jupiter Ascending has been delayed twice until February 2015, which doesn't bode well. I am -really- looking forward to seeing it since it's being billed as The Matrix meets Star Wars.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) The new full Jupiter Ascending trailer is out and it's definitely looking like an ambitious, visually gorgeous space opera tale. You've got a hero, a princess in peril, an evil dark lord, and lots of other good stuff.

Here's i09's take: http://io9.com/new-jupiter-ascending-...

MorningLightMountain | 49 comments Saw it. Loved it.

message 10: by EJ (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 117 comments I can't remember when I first saw the Jupiter Ascending trailer but based on the title, it really struck me as something that was based off a book. I searched around when I got home (though not too far in-depth) and didn't find anything. It would definitely be a book I'd read if it WAS a book!

The movie does look good. Looking forward to seeing it.

message 11: by Anna (last edited Feb 06, 2015 06:33AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) The movie is based on the ancient Mesopotamian legends of their gods Ea, Enki and Enlil, collectively known as the Annunaki, the real-life legends of which were hopelessly twisted in Chariots of the Gods to be some kind of UFO conspiracy theory.

Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Däniken Erich von Däniken

This was further picked up and elaborated on by Zecharia Sitchin who greatly embellished the stories of Ea, Enki and Enlil to create a mythology of a so-called wandering 12th planet called Nibiru.

I happen to study ancient pre-Sumerian history as part of my own book series set in that time and place, so much of what von Daniken claims in Chariots of the Gods just isn't supported by the ancient Sumerian historical records, but some of it is. If nothing else, it's a fascinating blend of mythology and archeology peppered with bits of real-life ancient artifacts.

Curiously, this same ancient mythology is the source of our ancient myth of Noah's Ark, as well as much of our modern understanding of the myth about 'fallen angels.'

Here's a 1970's book summary video of Chariots of the Gods: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ov...