I Read Therefore I Am discussion

Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
This topic is about Ben-Hur
Quarterly Boxall's Reads > Ben Hur -Lew Wallace -Beginning to Bk4 Chap 5

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Comment as soon as you like, but please hide any spoilers.

message 2: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Just arrived at chapter 8 bk one and so far I'm enjoying it (view spoiler)

Howard (antipodes) | 210 comments Am at chapter VI, book I, also thoroughly enjoying. Gained one major insight in an area of particular personal interest already. Good stuff.

message 4: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Williamson Just picked up my copy from the library today. :0)

message 5: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Yay :0)

message 6: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Just finished this month's chunk and although I could do with a few less descriptions of the gorgeousness of Ben Hur ( after all, we know exactly what he looks like - Charlton Heston) I'm enjoying it. So far, though, I can't see why it's on the 1001 list. Perhaps this will become more apparent in next months instalment.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike (nmpreach) Although I've never read the book (my favorite movie), I look forward to reading along with everyone. I'm interested in the author's use of point of view. So far (Book Second), Wallace is a master. Although tedious at times, the descriptions are extremely vivid.

Ellie (theelliemo) Just started this last night, so I'm a little behind most of you

message 9: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Not as behind as me Ellie! I'm going to have a third attempt at this starting tomorrow. If I don't make it this time it's for Barter Books (second hand book shop) I'm afraid.

message 10: by Jena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jena So here's the problem. I live in Hong Kong, and trying to get a book shop to order in Ben-Hur has proven impossible. On top of that, the public libraries only have the John Kennett "made for schools" retold edition.... I really can't afford to buy the book off of Amazon because the shipping costs more than the book is worth.
I might just have to read the "made for schools" copy to get the gist, but sit this one out. :(

message 11: by Cleo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cleo (cleopatra18) If you go to the book link on Goodreads, here, and scroll down to where it says "Get A Copy", to the far right, it says "Download ebook". If you click on that, you might be able to get a copy that way. I'm not sure if that helps, but I thought I'd try! :-)

message 12: by Jena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jena Thanks. I just can't stand reading off of a screen, particularly a book as long as Ben-Hur. It gives me serious headaches, and I also don't own a kindle. I realise the whole e-book thing could save me a lot of money, and one day I will get one, I'm sure. But when I've tried reading on a kindle before, I've found the text to be blurry (just me, apparently), and on a computer screen the headaches start quite quickly.

message 13: by Cleo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cleo (cleopatra18) Jena wrote: "Thanks. I just can't stand reading off of a screen, particularly a book as long as Ben-Hur. It gives me serious headaches, and I also don't own a kindle. I realize the whole e-book thing could save..."

Jena, I know exactly what you mean. I HATE reading on the computer and, in fact, won't do it. I do have a Kindle for situations such as yours though …… and you're right, it has been a big money-saver, but I still choose to read in book form over anything else.

But apparently we're in the minority! :-)

message 14: by Jena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jena Cleo wrote: "Jena wrote: "Thanks. I just can't stand reading off of a screen, particularly a book as long as Ben-Hur. It gives me serious headaches, and I also don't own a kindle. I realize the whole e-book thi..."

Good to know there are still a few of us left in the world!! My Dad's the same. We'd both rather spend money on books and have an impressive display around the house, than have a collection of books on a tablet.

:)

message 15: by Jena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jena So.... it turns out the public library does have a copy of Ben-Hur, it's just on loan, and won't be available until the end of May! I may be behind everyone else in their reading, but at least now I can participate!

message 16: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee Hi Jena - glad you're going to be able to join us in a while - I'm trying to give as much advance notice as possible for group reads now, to give people more of a chance to find copies - I'll be announcing the next Quarterly Read and July's monthly read in a couple of days.
There's nothing better than real books - but an e-reader is a good 2nd best if you have a small house and a husband who regards piles of books as clutter :0)

message 17: by Hilary (last edited May 14, 2014 12:40PM) (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I'm up to page 15 and I'm already irritated by it labouring the story of the nativity. I suspect if I don't get past this I'll abandon it yet again so I'm fast forwarding to Book 2 and keeping my fingers crossed.

message 18: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee I'll keep my fingers crossed!

message 19: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments @Lee - you may uncross your fingers - it didn't work. I just can't read this book. It reads too much like the bible and if I wanted to read the bible, I'd - well - read the bible!!!

message 20: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee If you can nerve yourself for one more attempt - Ben Hur finally makes an appearance (and the film starts) - Book 2, Chapter 6. :0)

message 21: by Cleo (last edited May 15, 2014 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cleo (cleopatra18) @ Hilary, the first part you have to just slog through. I kind of enjoyed it because, after being exposed to Westernized ideas of the wise men, I was happy to have real characters that I could learn about and appreciate. It does get better ----- their appearance diminishes and Ben Hur comes to the forefront! It starts to get exciting. Get ready for some clashes between the Romans and the Jews!

message 22: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments OK. Attempt four coming up. I'll start at Book 2 Chapter 6 as you suggest Lee. Actually I was only a few pages off there when I abandoned it last night. Fingers and toes crossed this time.

message 23: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments @ Cleo @Lee thank you ladies for the encouragement..I have started to enjoy it and am hopeful of making it to the end. I may even feel the need to continue reading past our stopping point for the month.

message 24: by Cleo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cleo (cleopatra18) Hilary wrote: "@ Cleo @Lee thank you ladies for the encouragement..I have started to enjoy it and am hopeful of making it to the end. I may even feel the need to continue reading past our stopping point for the ..."

Yeah, Hilary! Good news! If it's a classic, I always try to keep plugging along at least until half-way. I hated The Picture of Dorian Gray until about 75% of the way through and suddenly I understood the point of what I had read and it ended up one of my favourite books.

message 25: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee @ Hilary - Hooray! - if only we'd found the point at which Mason & Dixon starts being readable :0)
@ Cleo - you've got more will power than me - if I'm struggling with a book I start skipping and only go back and read it properly if something grabs me.

message 26: by Cleo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cleo (cleopatra18) Lee wrote: "
@ Cleo - you've got more will power than me - if I'm struggling with a book I start skipping and only go back and read it properly if something grabs me. …"

Don't get me wrong ….. I want to do that, but there are just so many instances where I've learned that if I keep going, I'll love the book. It doesn't always happen but it does more times than not, so I force myself. And yes, sometimes it can take willpower …… :-) I only follow this "rule" for classics though. With modern books, if I don't like them after a couple of chapters, I chuck them (modern books are written for immediate gratification, so I feel that I'm justified. ;-) )

message 27: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee That's a good distinction to make - after all there has to be a reason that a classic became a classic :0)