THE Group for Authors! discussion

63 views

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela Verdenius (angelacatlover) Has anyone published through iBooks? I've had my books distributed through them, but not by myself directly. It looks really confusing and I've read through everything several times!


message 2: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 630 comments Yes. I publish mine direct. It's not hard or confusing at all. You use iTunes Producer the same way as the KDP dashboard, enter all the relevant categories, keywords, set pricing and hit upload.


message 3: by Liangzhi (new)

Liangzhi Gao | 16 comments I have written three books on philosophy

1, Fusion of Chinese and Western Wisdom

2, On Synthesis Philosophy

3, Philosophy of Human Love

All of them are published on Amazon as Kindle Book

I like to know what I should to do to intrduce my books in Goodreads. Please advice.

Liang Gao or Liangzhi Gao


message 4: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 630 comments Liang wrote: "I have written three books on philosophy ..."

Trying asking in the Librarian Group and not spamming completely unrelated discussions. It's incredibly rude to hijack another person's thread to post about your books :/


message 5: by Liangzhi (new)

Liangzhi Gao | 16 comments Dear Sir:

Thank you for your quick reply.

PLease tell me where to find the Librarian Group?

Liang


message 6: by Faith (new)

Faith Liang wrote: "Dear Sir:

Thank you for your quick reply.

PLease tell me where to find the Librarian Group?

Liang"


Here is the link to the Librarians Group.


https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...


message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela Verdenius (angelacatlover) A.W. wrote: "Yes. I publish mine direct. It's not hard or confusing at all. You use iTunes Producer the same way as the KDP dashboard, enter all the relevant categories, keywords, set pricing and hit upload."

Okay, that sounds good. I kind of got caught up on the having to download some program to convert the manuscript to the format required? As I first understood it, they accepted epub which I can do no worries (using Calibre).

I think I'll go back for another look and read. Maybe I've misunderstood the whole thing and need to take it step by step.
Thanks you so much for replying, I really appreciate it.


message 8: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 630 comments Angela wrote: "I kind of got caught up on the having to download some program to convert the manuscript to the format required? "

You need to download iTunes Producer, which is how you submit the books to Apple, but they certainly take ePubs. I use the same ePub for Apple, B&N and Kobo.


message 9: by John (new)

John Tannhauser (johntannhauser) | 10 comments I had dramas setting up my account with a pen name. There seemed to be no way for them to accommodate that.


message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela Verdenius (angelacatlover) A.W. wrote: "Angela wrote: "I kind of got caught up on the having to download some program to convert the manuscript to the format required? "

You need to download iTunes Producer, which is how you submit the ..."


Ah, that makes it so much clearer, thank you! I'm so glad I asked here.


message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela Verdenius (angelacatlover) John wrote: "I had dramas setting up my account with a pen name. There seemed to be no way for them to accommodate that."

Hey John - so did you have to use your real name then? That's odd, as most publishing platforms have a way to do a pen name.


message 12: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Danielle (jsdanimine) | 6 comments I write with a pen name and when I wanted to be sure my books were added to iBooks, having had an account under my real name, I had to have he company that published my book to send a formal letter stating I was one in the same....but writing under a pen name.


message 13: by Liangzhi (new)

Liangzhi Gao | 16 comments Hi,J.S. I myself am a writer, not a publisher.


message 14: by John (new)

John Tannhauser (johntannhauser) | 10 comments Angela wrote: "John wrote: "I had dramas setting up my account with a pen name. There seemed to be no way for them to accommodate that."

Hey John - so did you have to use your real name then? That's odd, as most..."


Kindle is far more accommodating in this respect. But anyway, this is what happened when I tried using iTunes Connect. I got to the stage where you could choose between entering your publication as an individual or an organisation, in which case you enter the entity's legal name. As an individual, you must use your real name for publication, and the powers-that-be at Apple will only update this if a legal document indicating your "doing business as" (DBA) name is provided to them and they then accept the same.

I agreed to the T&Cs on this page, and the following one featured a choice between selling or giving away my book. All of the fields on the second page were locked. I could not select the option to sell my book. Furthermore, I could not tick a box to indicate I had read through the T&Cs on that page, ensuring that the final "Agree" button remained locked.

I called someone at Apple. She almost keeled over in horror when I mentioned I was using a PC for this; apparently it must be done with an iOS device of some description (smells like an engineered flaw - more money to Apple). I am one of the chosen few in the OECD nations who does not own one. Hence, the process will involve downloading a copy from email onto a friend's iMac, I think, and going from there. Also, when I asked about the pen name business, the call dropped out while being transferred to someone more knowledgeable in that field. So no joy on either count.

Very frustrating! So, beware of these matters if you are self-publishing to the iBooks store.


message 15: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria Blaelock (goodreadscomalexblaelock) | 4 comments You can "rent" a Mac through a cloud server like MacinCloud. You just log in and work from their space as if you are working on a mac. I haven't used it yet as it's a bit of a hassle decoupling from Smashwords, but I plan to use it for the next book.

http://www.macincloud.com/


message 16: by G. (last edited Mar 06, 2016 05:33AM) (new)

G. Thayer (flboffin) | 115 comments John, when you wrote “smells like an engineered flaw - more money to Apple,” you hit the nail right on the head. As someone who has been using (and programming) computers since long before Apple even existed, I can say that IMHO Apple is “overpriced and overrated.” I steer clear of anything that smells of proprietary Apple stuff. It isn’t worth the price of admission.

My brother is a died-in-the-wool Apple user (Macbooks, mostly) and I’ve used his machines. They are no easier to use and have just as many problems as any Wintel (either one is a PC—that’s a generic term).

Steve Jobs was admittedly a design and marketing genius. But Apple is still a niche player in the PC market. (Phones are a different matter entirely).


message 17: by John (new)

John Tannhauser (johntannhauser) | 10 comments Alexandria wrote: "You can "rent" a Mac through a cloud server like MacinCloud. You just log in and work from their space as if you are working on a mac. I haven't used it yet as it's a bit of a hassle decoupling fro..."

I appreciate that tip Alexandria - cheers.

John


message 18: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Marten | 21 comments G. wrote: "John, when you wrote “smells like an engineered flaw - more money to Apple,” you hit the nail right on the head. As someone who has been using (and programming) computers since long before Apple ev..."

I would have to respectfully disagree. :-)))
I had /still have/ the pleasure of both. There is no comparison /in my humble opinion/:-)). For many...., Apple is so easy, they keep wondering if they're doing something wrong?

I just converted my editor on Apple, and she is quote 'singing Ave Maria' & "Hallelujah'...lol. She is a walking-talking, can't shut up Apple free advertisement...lol. She cracks me up daily.

It's not just the USER FRIENDLY part, it's the maintenance as well. I used to have my PC cleaned every month, I'm on my second Apple and never had an issue...

I guess it's a personal preference. I say..., try and see. :-)))


message 19: by G. (last edited Mar 08, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

G. Thayer (flboffin) | 115 comments Mimi: You’re a typical Mac user—a fanatic. That’s OK. I know a lot of them. But I have to go with my own experience. My brother’s MacBook Pro has been in the shop more frequently than any of my Wintel machines (I routinely get new equipment about every 3-4 years, just to keep up with technology, not because the old one is worn out. I give my old ones to Habitat for Humanity.) I had one Sony VAIO laptop (used for weather records) that ran 24/7 for more than 7 years before giving up the ghost.

I must say, however, that the user friendly part is overdone. I’ve used Macs quite often and found them no easier to use than my Windows machines. Both systems have their little quirks.

But go with what you like. I know a guy who takes care of a band when they are playing. He found the Apple system much better, and in this case, I agree with him. But for writing, formatting, and image manipulation (i.e., Photoshop), I find Windows does the job for me very well—and saves me money in the process.


message 20: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Marten | 21 comments G. wrote: "Mimi: You’re a typical Mac user—a fanatic. That’s OK. I know a lot of them. But I have to go with my own experience. My brother’s MacBook Pro has been in the shop more frequently than any of my Win..."

I'm glad we can respectfully disagree.....:-)))

And agree that it's a personal preference. :-))))

You're right I love my Apple, I still use my VAIO for Excel spread sheets /old habit/ :-). For writing PAGES are amazing, but the latest is SCRIVENER...., now that would save you money when formatting. And you can get it on your VAIO as well.

Have a great day! Aloha!

xoxo


back to top