Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS) discussion

2016 Archives > Diverse, Lyrical Fantasy and Sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by V.S. (last edited Mar 02, 2016 07:47AM) (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Welcome to my booth!

Smoke and Rain (Reforged #1) by V.S. Holmes Travelers (Nel Bently, #1) by V.S. Holmes

I hope you're enjoying the awesome event! I'm V. S. Holmes. I'm a fantasy and science fiction author that focuses on diverse (neurodiverse, non-straight, non-white, etc.) characters!

Giveaway!
Each day of the event I'll give away a FREE ebook copy of either Smoke and Rain or Travelers (your choice!) to a random commenter!

Can't wait to meet you all!

#fantasy #sciencefiction
Fairgrounds Map

message 2: by V.S. (last edited Mar 01, 2016 07:45AM) (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments About Me

I'm an author and archaeologist who lives in a Tiny House in New England with my awesome husband and an alien disguised as a majestically fat cat. I studied biology and anthropology with a focus on prehistoric cultures.

When I'm not writing I work as a contract archaeologist -- yes I draw a lot from my experiences at work to create the world of Travelers and the other Nel Bently Books!

You can find me here, during the event, as well as scattered across the internet on various social media sites....

Website | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook

message 3: by V.S. (last edited Mar 01, 2016 08:01AM) (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Epic Fantasy
Smoke and Rain (Reforged #1) by V.S. Holmes

I expected a hero to save us all. Turns out, I was thinking of the wrong part of the story. In the beginning, we aren't saved. The world is broken. There are only pieces and grief. Depending on the story, the fruit of grief is vengeance or justice or hardened resolve.

The pieces must be gathered and flames kindled before I'm reforged. I don't know what shape I will take. Those pieces might become a hero...or a monster.

A mad king’s genocide destroyed Alea's home and left her sanity in tatters. The struggle between the gods and their creators fills the world with war. Caught in the crossfire of a conflict she knows little about, Alea only wants a quiet life. Trouble is, the darkness roiling in her mind may be the one thing that could end the bloodshed.

A storm brews within her, and not even the gods will be safe when it breaks upon the world.

Smoke and Rain is the first book in my epic fantasy quartet, Reforged. It was chosen as an Official Selection for New Apple Literary's 2015 Excellence in Independent Publishing.

The second book, Lightning and Flames comes out May 7th! If you want a chance to win a free copy of Lightning and Flames check out the virtual release party on Facebook!

message 4: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Diverse Science Fiction
Travelers (Nel Bently, #1) by V.S. Holmes

Archaeologist Nel Bently has her own crew, her own research, and a private patron to fund her passion for dirt. With her trowel barely into the dry earth of Chile’s coast, however, Nel learns she and her crew are being watched.

Los Pobladores, known to Nel only as vandals and looters, take issue with any archaeologist brave or stubborn enough to set boots on their land. Nel is both and far from willing to give up the site that will make her career. She must keep her crew, her friends, and her life’s work safe, but with a benefactor playing chess with their lives, and angry militants who may actually have a point, Nel is ready to fight dirty.

Lesbian Lara Croft meets the X-files in this fast-paced series about where we come from and where we're going.

Travelers is the first of the Nel Bently Books, a series of science fiction novellas.

message 5: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Epic Fantasy
Lightning and Flames

"Death hurt less than I thought. Pain was there, obviously. I was stabbed in the chest. But afterwards, it was painless. Peaceful, almost. I wish I could bring that peace back with me.
The war doesn't scare me now, nor the strange city or life at home moving on without me. Only one thing scares me now -- when she brought me back from death, from that beautiful peace, something stayed.
Whatever part of me that was still human got left behind."

Blood stains the land. The gods' desperation grows, and with it, Azirik's mania. Away from her newfound family, Alea struggles to control the blackness in her mind and the power in her veins. What the Laen wish to teach is something very different from what she must learn, however, and war does not make time for history lessons. Stuck in a foreign city, Arman wrestles with madness. The inertia of battle leaves friendships tainted and alliances shattered.

If the only creatures able to mend the world refuse to speak to each other how can they win a war?.

Lightning and Flames is the second book in Reforged. comes out May 7th! If you want a chance to win a free copy of Lightning and Flames check out the virtual release party on Facebook!

Support the Lightning and Flames Thunderclap!

message 6: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Jude (kyliekerosene) | 46 comments Wow, all of your books sound amazing!
And kudos for diversity. :)

message 7: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Kylie wrote: "Wow, all of your books sound amazing!
And kudos for diversity. :)"

Thanks so much!

message 8: by V.S. (last edited Apr 02, 2016 06:56PM) (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Diverse Science Fiction
Drifters (Nel Bently #2) by V.S. Holmes

Archaeologist Nel Bently left Chile in the wake of murder, vandalism and UFO sightings. No sooner has the school semester started when cops are at her door. Accused of a murder she’s not certain is her fault, Nel has no choice but to go on the run. She starts a game of connect-the-dots across North America following her gut and clues left by her elusive alien-benefactor-turned-almost-girlfriend.

Running from the law isn’t easy with only a fake military ID and a handful of scorned exes to depend on. Between starvation, untraceable texts, and a harrowing journey through the wilderness, Nel is forced to question everything about the science she loves and the people she trusted.

Lesbian Lara Croft meets the X-files in this fast-paced series about where we come from and where we're going.

Drifters is the second of the Nel Bently Books, a series of science fiction novellas and will be released this year.

message 9: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 53 comments I love Fantasy and Sci-fi.
Your books are going on my to-read list, which is growing by the minute!! :)

message 10: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Rainne wrote: "I love Fantasy and Sci-fi.
Your books are going on my to-read list, which is growing by the minute!! :)"

Thank you!

message 11: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Davies | 19 comments V.S. wrote: " Epic Fantasy

I expected a hero to save us all. Turns out, I was thinking of the wrong part of the story. In the beginning, we aren't saved. The world is broken..."

sounds exciting just signed up for your party in May, I have a booth here too come by and say hi!

message 12: by Duawana (new)

Duawana Wilson (goodreadsduawana) | 34 comments Wow your books sound so good. I love to find new books to read. I am a book junky lol

message 13: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Duawana wrote: "Wow your books sound so good. I love to find new books to read. I am a book junky lol"

Thanks, Duawana! I hope you get a chance to check them out!

message 14: by J.D. (last edited Apr 09, 2016 07:42PM) (new)

J.D. Brink | 8 comments V.S. wrote: " Epic Fantasy

I expected a hero to save us all. Turns out, I was thinking of the wrong part of the story. In the beginning, we aren't saved. The world is broken..."

This blurb sounds great! If you can master this (the hardest part of writing, in my opinion), what's inside must be awesome!

message 15: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Davis (nicholastdavis) | 1 comments I'm Nicholas T. Davis, and am an author of the science fiction series "Dimension Lapse," the story of a Martian colonist who is thrust into a wormhole and into another universe. He is involved in an intergalactic war which affects both universe. It is up to him to find a way to defeat the evil forces which drive the parallel universes into chaos! Dimension Lapse

message 16: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments J.D. wrote: "V.S. wrote: " Epic Fantasy

I expected a hero to save us all. Turns out, I was thinking of the wrong part of the story. In the beginning, we aren't saved. The wo..."

Thanks! It took many hours of work to figure out the whole blurb thing.

message 17: by Marina (new)

Marina Chacon (marinachacon) | 17 comments Your books sounds great!! Looking forward to reading them! Thanks for for sharing!

message 18: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Marina wrote: "Your books sounds great!! Looking forward to reading them! Thanks for for sharing!"

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you're enjoying the con!

message 19: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Hi V.S.!
Your work sounds very interesting! I am curious to learn what neurodiverse is. I am a book blogger and would like to review either of your novels if you are interested. Here is the link to my blog: https://peachykeenbookreviews.wordpre...
Let me know!
Ashley

message 20: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi V.S.!
Your work sounds very interesting! I am curious to learn what neurodiverse is. I am a book blogger and would like to review either of your novels if you are interested. Here is the link to..."

Thanks Ashley, I'll check out your blog.
Great question. Neurodiverse refers to people who are "wired" differently. Examples would be bi-polar, depression, anxiety, autism, etc.

message 21: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Oh thank you! That makes sense :)

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate M. Colby (katemcolby) | 36 comments Your books sound very cool. The literary world definitely needs more diversity, and it's so great to see an author focused on it. I'd never seen the term neurodiverse, either, so yay for new words!

message 23: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Muggington (samuelmuggington) | 2 comments I can't wait to read some of your books. I am planting blueberries and fruit trees today so I will have to come back later. We finally have a break in the crazy weather.

message 24: by Quoleena (new)

Quoleena Sbrocca (qjsbrocca) Cool books! I must ditto what everyone's said. Oh yeah. Here are those donuts I promised. Have as many as you like. I've got loads of them!

message 25: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Quoleena wrote: "Cool books! I must ditto what everyone's said. Oh yeah. Here are those donuts I promised. Have as many as you like. I've got loads of them!"

Thanks! I could use some energy for sure.

message 26: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Samuel wrote: "I can't wait to read some of your books. I am planting blueberries and fruit trees today so I will have to come back later. We finally have a break in the crazy weather."

I can't wait until we get a chance to attack our garden.

message 27: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Kate wrote: "Your books sound very cool. The literary world definitely needs more diversity, and it's so great to see an author focused on it. I'd never seen the term neurodiverse, either, so yay for new words!"

Yeah, I heard it a while back and adopted its use. Seems like a good term to me.

message 28: by Alex (new)

Alex Carey (AlexECarey) | 62 comments Hi VS,

I got a break from my booth and wandered over to visit. You have a long line waiting to talk to you so I won't take up too much of your time. I got myself a coffee and buttered croissant and brought one for you too. :)

I love the sound of your books and have put them on my wishlist I love archaeology themed books so I'm interested in reading Travelers.

Have a great day today!

Alex

message 29: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Alex wrote: "Hi VS,

I got a break from my booth and wandered over to visit. You have a long line waiting to talk to you so I won't take up too much of your time. I got myself a coffee and buttered croissant a..."

Thanks, Alex! I'm always excited to hear about people into archaeology (who don't do it for a living, like I do).

message 30: by Alex (new)

Alex Carey (AlexECarey) | 62 comments You're welcome! :) I almost majored in Archaeology myself. I'm fascinated with it.

message 31: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Hey everyone!

Here's the Thunderclap for the second Reforged book, Lightning and Flames in case you missed it! All you've got to do is follow the link and click "support." I'm almost halfway there!

Thanks!

message 32: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Alex wrote: "You're welcome! :) I almost majored in Archaeology myself. I'm fascinated with it."

Oh awesome! I actually stumbled upon it halfway through my bio degree, so I've a hybrid study. Once you get digging in your blood you can never stop!

message 33: by V.S. (last edited Apr 10, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Here are some teasers for Smoke and Rain

message 34: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments And some for Travelers

[image error]

And for Drifters

message 35: by V.S. (last edited Apr 10, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments More from Smoke and Rain

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (drpjoyce) | 9 comments Wow your book sounds wonderful! You have my dream job since I was 9. I wanted to be an archeologist and a writer.

message 37: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Debbie wrote: "Wow your book sounds wonderful! You have my dream job since I was 9. I wanted to be an archeologist and a writer."

Thanks! I love your profile pic, I literally just wrote a Doctor reference into the scene I'm drafting for Drifters

message 38: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 162 comments Looks interesting and I like the covers

message 39: by Duawana (new)

Duawana Wilson (goodreadsduawana) | 34 comments V.S. wrote: "Duawana wrote: "Wow your books sound so good. I love to find new books to read. I am a book junky lol"

Thanks, Duawana! I hope you get a chance to check them out!"

They are on my read list now. :)

message 40: by Duawana (new)

Duawana Wilson (goodreadsduawana) | 34 comments David wrote: "dewana you mean theres more than one book junky out here I just added them to my list too"

Yep I am a huge book junky. I have over 2000 ebooks on my read list and about 300 physical books lol I just keep getting more

message 41: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Nestler MSW (amnestler) | 110 comments Hi V.S.!
Thank you so much for picking me as the winner for an ebook :) I would love to have the .mobi version of "Smoke and Rain". You can send it to me at peachykeenreviews@gmail.com.
Thanks again!
Ashley

message 42: by V.S. (new)

V.S. Holmes (vs_holmes) | 36 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi V.S.!
Thank you so much for picking me as the winner for an ebook :) I would love to have the .mobi version of "Smoke and Rain". You can send it to me at peachykeenreviews@gmail.com.
Thanks agai..."

Sounds good. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!