The Agatha Christie Reading Group discussion

2016 Books > March 2016: Death on the Nile

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. J. (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 367 comments Mod
I'd love to read this book! My only concern is my personal reading habits. I'm about a couple of months late in reading for this group but I hope to catch up some time soon.

message 2: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments I read this one recently - it's definitely a favourite of mine, I've read it three times?! So I'm definitely looking forward to reading what people think of this :D

message 3: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments That's great that you're enjoying it Lauren :)

The older film version? Stellar cast. Bette Davis, Angela Lansbury and Maggie Smith are glorious in it. Three of my favourites :)

message 4: by Anwen (new)

Anwen | 18 comments One of my favourites. The film is good - but seriously, snakes and sword sticks?! My umpteenth reread, and I still love the sun and moon description. I also love the way Christie steers our sensibilities - Linnet Doyle is definitely not llikeable,wjile Jacqui gets all the sympathy. Simon Doyle is something of a cypher - hard to get a grasp of him. Love it!

message 5: by Catty (new)

Catty I just finished reading it - for the I-don't-know- how-many-th time, and it is certainly one of her better plotted efforts. There's about 4 different plot strands going on at any given time, and it's great how she sorts them all out and has them all coming together - much like the skeins of wool that poor old Cordelia had to deal with constantly lol! She was my favorite character actually - and I love how Mrs Christie wrote such a fitting outcome for her. I've also developed a whole new appreciation for the places she describes in it and other works, having travelled in Egypt some years ago. I even had high tea at the Cataract Hotel, where she plotted?wrote? the majority of this book - it's a must do for any Christie fan who happens to go over there!

As to the book - I think I had more sympathy for Jackie when I was younger, but now that I'm older I guess I can't stop focusing on the fact that there is something extremely pathological about her love for Simon. In answer to the above poster though Simon to me doesn't seem like a cipher - in my (very !) humble opinion he's actually a bit of a garden variety minor/weak sociopath, and not very smart with it either. Plus the feminist in me disagrees with him and his actions anyway lol!

But nonetheless - an engaging and fast paced book which (as always!) I thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you for letting me experience it again!

message 6: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments Oh, Catty that sounds amazing! :D

I couldn't agree with you more about Jacqueline; that intensity of her love for Simon was something else. :/

message 7: by Mark Pghfan (new)

Mark Pghfan | 95 comments Your trip in Egypt sounds great! I understand that all of the areas described in this book are now underwater due to the construction of the Aswan Dam.

message 8: by Catty (new)

Catty That is such a shame - but I do think they were talking about something like that when I was there. I'd love to go back one day and see what has (and hasn't!) changed since I was there for myself. Maybe one day!!