Los restos del día Los restos del día discussion

Similar novels

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Oscar I am looking for novels similar to "Los restos del dia" Please, recommend me.

Sad novels, narrated in first person, with the narrador thinking all time about his past

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 02, 2016 04:35PM) (new)

Ah, what a compelling question. I also admire novels like these. A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement by Anthony Powell, (a huge undertaking, but a remarkable story of a man watching his world collapse around him), To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woofe. Love in the Time of Cholera, of course. History of the Rain. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Introspective books, tinged with "what might have been," which is what the past, the sad past, is? Oh, a very foreshortened "Dance to the Music of Time" can be found in William Boyd's Any Human Heart. Any Human Heart and Dance to the Music of Time are the only first-person narratives, though.

message 3: by Sharon (last edited Mar 08, 2016 11:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Another of Ishiguro's books, Never Let Me Go (Nunca me abandones), has a similar aesthetic. It's actually science fiction but doesn't feel like it. The characters are teenagers all seeking to prove their humanity, and much of it is told through memories. The narrator is thoughtful and the story peels back with so much subtlety. It's one of my favorite books!