Romance Audiobooks discussion

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
This topic is about The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
Group Listens > March 2016 Group Listen - The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley (Mackenzies & McBrides #1)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Mar 07, 2016 04:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4098 comments Mod
The year is 1881. Meet the Mackenzie family--rich, powerful, dangerous, eccentric. A lady couldn't be seen with them without ruin. Rumors surround them--of tragic violence, of their mistresses, of their dark appetites, of scandals that set England and Scotland abuzz.

The youngest brother, Ian, known as the Mad Mackenzie, spent most of his young life in an asylum, and everyone agrees he is decidedly odd. He's also hard and handsome and has a penchant for Ming pottery and beautiful women.

Beth Ackerley, widow, has recently come into a fortune. She has decided that she wants no more drama in her life. She was raised in drama--an alcoholic father who drove them into the workhouse, a frail mother she had to nurse until her death, a fussy old lady she became constant companion to. No, she wants to take her money and find peace, to travel, to learn art, to sit back and fondly remember her brief but happy marriage to her late husband.

And then Ian Mackenzie decides he wants her.

Sue will lead the discussion

Discussion Questions
Chapters 1 - 7

Dawn | 533 comments I love this book. Can't wait to discuss.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments I'll be able to start it tomorrow...

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 327 comments I've just started this series a couple of months ago. I guess I will be listening to the first one again. I love Angela Dawe's interpretation of it.

Tiff's*Addictiontobooks (tiffsaddictiontobooks) | 22 comments I love this book. Going to do a relisten.

message 6: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i read these books and then listened to this one a few years ago when it was nominated for an Audie in the romance category in like 2014 - i really enjoyed it, i think much more than i did in the initial reading

Al George  (georgieme) | 8 comments So I've never done a "group listen", but I cannot resist this book. Being new, can someone point me to the rules, etc. for discussion. And OMG I am so excited.

message 8: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments rules - get book and listen ;) honestly there are like no rules

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4098 comments Mod
Ally, one thing you may want to do is post any comments while you're listening to the book. Use the spoiler feature for any revealing comments until such time as this becomes open for spoilers.

All comments, good or bad, are welcome!

Al George  (georgieme) | 8 comments Jonetta wrote: "Ally, one thing you may want to do is post any comments while you're listening to the book. Use the spoiler feature for any revealing comments until such time as this becomes open for spoilers.

A..."

Dee wrote: "rules - get book and listen ;) honestly there are like no rules"

Well, I guess as soon as I finish my current listen, I have a new one to get busy with =) Yay!

message 11: by Sue (last edited Mar 05, 2016 06:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Hi Everyone, I'll be posting discussion questions as I move through the novel....

Rather than do chapters, I'll do hour increments... this novel is about 10 hours in length.

I'll post the questions in three sections, with that I'll post chapter #'s with each set of questions.... if it's not fast enough let me know. But this will give you a decent idea of what I was thinking.
Hours 1-3 - 3/8
Hours 4-6 - 3/10
Hours 7-10 - 3/12

Let's get ready to be amazed, this was a must listen to title a few years back. And yes there will be discussion on voicing at the end *wink* .

This is my partial review... but I think it summarizes well what I thought at the time:

This was soo... good, definitely an excellent mystery, suspense, historical romance. I don't want to spoil it at all, interesting Scottish clan... with lots of ugly Skelton's in the closet. Great mystery added as bonus round material.

Those that would like to post comments as they move along, if they are telling just use the spoiler brackets. You can always remove them once we've reached that point in the discussion.

message 12: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments First set of questions...
Chapters 1-7 (3 hours)
What did you think of Lord Ian’s interest in Beth? What drew his interest to even bother to warn her?

What about Inspector Fellows, did you think less of him because he didn’t question (jilted lord's) …. Motives for reporting a crime and involving someone who was known to have warn Beth off?

Why is Chief Inspector Fellows so dogmatic? Did Beth guess right is it something personal with the Mackenzie’s? Was he wronged?

So were you surprised when Beth asked Ian to have “carnal” relations?

How does Ian strike you? Mad, unique, intense and why do you think that?

Aren’t you curious what happened to break up Mac and Isabella?

message 13: by Sue (last edited Mar 07, 2016 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Answers Chapters 1-7 (3 hours)

What did you think of Lord Ian’s interest in Beth? What drew his interest to even bother to warn her?

I thought it was odd, almost against character or what I think of his character which observes and discards. But I think Ian’s mind is far more complex and I think we’re just scratching the surface in the beginning. It’s clear that Ian is odd, but I also think he has genius tendencies.

That he made the first move without having met Beth i.e. I thought was the hardest plot point to believe after you realize Ian had never been engaged (mentally, physically or anything in between). But as I think further, I wonder if initially it was because of his dislike of the twit of a lord. I’m leaning that way.

What about Inspector Fellows, did you think less of him because he didn’t question …. Motives for reporting a crime and involving someone who was known to have warn Beth off?

Absolutely, I thought it was ridiculous that he just accepted his word (Lord Twit… he’s so unmemorable I’ve lost his name) knowing Ian had been the person who had warned of Beth. Ridiculous in my mind and bad police work.

Why is Chief Inspector Fellows so dogmatic? Did Beth guess right something personal with the Mackenzie’s? Was he personally wronged?

Definitely think it’s something personal, but I can’t think what it could be. I think he’d be a better detective if he kept his emotions out of it.

So were you surprised when Beth asked Ian to have “carnal” relations?

I laughed out loud, I so didn’t expect it, historical novels are not know for the women to be the “aggressors”. I liked it.

How does Ian strike you? Mad, unique, intense and why do you think that?

Ian is a genius, today he’d be labeled and folks would know how to handle his genius/and issues. During the early 19th century, god awful treatments for mental illnesses would have been applied. I think he functions very well considering his childhood and his own inability to process emotions. Initially I was confused over Ian but the more time you spend with Beth and Ian, you find that Beth is translating Ian to us.

As for inability to process emotions, I think Ian has “labeled” himself out of feeling them. We’ve seen anger, lust, trust… why not love.

Aren’t you curious what happened to break up Mac and Isabella?

I AM definitely curious; I love the idea of an artist and a socialite. From what I could pick up they were very young when they got married. I’m thinking Mac must have cheated on her, or she felt he had and didn’t let him clear it up. Or lets go with the drunken’ can’t remember and found in a woman’s bed. The most likely answer… lol.

message 14: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Questions for section 2:

Chapters 8-15

What did you think when Fellows proposed to Beth?

At this point, what do you make of Ian being at two death scenes? Do you believe he’s innocent? Is Beth naïve or is she intuitive to believe Ian is innocent?

What did you think of Fellows depiction of Hart’s wife and Cameron’s troubles? One sided, jaded.. is he right should everyone stay away from the MacKenzie’s. Or can he only see things one way?

So what did you think if Ian’s seduction of Beth? LOL moment but I think there is something about illicit places, like coaches, gardens and alike.

Do you think Ian cornered Beth into marriage? Do you think Beth was cornered?

What of Hart’s reaction to seeing Ian with Beth in the Paris papers?

How many secrets can this clan keep? Does it make you crazy or does it keep you moving faster though the novel?

message 15: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Hour 4-7
Chapters 8-15

What did you think when Fellows proposed to Beth?

I remember thinking is he nuts! She has shown him only disdain at this point… did Fellow’s really think that was going to work? He wants to thwart the MacKenzie’s at any and all turns. I’m convinced it was not for altruistic purposes.

At this point, what do you make of Ian being at two death scenes? Do you believe he’s innocent? Is Beth naïve or is she intuitive to believe Ian is innocent?

At times I think maybe he was involved with the first, but his memories of the second (murder with scissors is very clear)… so the second is out. But I keep feeling like he’s trying not to remember because he’s afraid of the answer.

Beth though I think is convinced he wasn't involved, I think based on her feelings and not Ian's internal thoughts I understand her belief.

What did you think of Fellows depiction of Hart’s wife and Cameron’s troubles? One sided, jaded.. is he right should everyone stay away from the MacKenzie’s. Or can he only see things one way?

Lord, can Fellow’s be more unlikable. He has to have a personal vendetta or he’s like Sherlock Holmes where he MUST have the answer.

So what did you think if Ian’s seduction of Beth? LOL moment but I think there is something about illicit places, like coaches, gardens and alike.

In historicals they love coaches, I find it hot, hot, hot. It’s all that illicit they can be discovered that makes it so. Voyeuristic much… lol

Do you think Ian cornered Beth into marriage? Do you think Beth was cornered?

I felt like Beth was cornered definitely, but I also think she let herself be. She strikes me as a strong person who would have dealt with any outcomes from it.

What of Hart’s reaction to seeing Ian with Beth in the Paris papers?

Way overprotective. But reading Ian’s and Hart’s relationship, it’s clear that Hart was Ian’s only “savior” in the earlier years when he still lived in the castle. And I also think that Hart getting Ian out of asylum after the Duke’s death is another reason. Hart protects Ian, but I think the reverse can be said too. To what I haven’t a clue. Just some of the things that Ian has said or won’t say.

How many secrets can this clan keep? Does it make you crazy or does it keep you moving faster though the novel?

Makes me want to read faster… we’re starting the part where things will get revealed quickly looking forward to it. What Ian saw or did is really intriguing at this point (1st murder).

message 16: by Sue (last edited Mar 13, 2016 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Two sets of questions in a row... I know... I just thought I'd deliver them a tad earlier than I published... they are locked under spoilers and I will remove those "brackets 3/11"

Chapter 16 – to completion
4 hours
I was thrilled with the final 4 hours, everything and I do mean everything happened. So let’s start.
What did you think of Beth being so dogmatic about finding the killer? Should she have left things alone or do agree with her? Was she taking an unnecessary risk?

What did you think of Ian and Hart thinking each was the killer and each protecting the other?

Fellows, became a detective… about time. What did you think of the reveal that he was a MacKenzie half-brother and would have been Duke had he been legitimate? Did you enjoy how Beth revealed it?

Mrs. Palmer, did you even have a clue it was her till Beth revealed it? What did you think, plausible?

Mrs. Palmer loved Hart to all distraction, yet she was fine that he had to marry and get hiers… is the concept so foreign you can’t understand it? Or can you place yourself in that time and understand? Thoughts?

Narrator, Angela Dawe’s narrated this,… so what do you think?

Would you read the next installment (Isabella and Mac) or listen to it?

message 17: by Sue (last edited Mar 13, 2016 06:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1116 comments Answers to the final questions

Chapter 16 – to completion
4 hours
I was thrilled with the final 4 hours, everything and I do mean everything happened. So let’s start.

What did you think of Beth being so dogmatic about finding the killer? Should she have left things alone or do agree with her? Was she taking an unnecessary risk?

I loved her for it, she wanted to clear Ian’s name. But I think she took a big risk. But for some reason she saw Hart’s loyalty to Ian and felt he was innocent as well. I’m not sure I agree with her, I think Hart would kill to protect Ian. But Ian didn’t need it. I was convinced Hart had no need to kill the girl.

What did you think of Ian and Hart thinking each was the killer and each protecting the other?

Perfect way to explain the partial thoughts and conversations, each resented the other for having to cover up. Ian’s, abilities was definitely was an issue. I can’t imagine Hart didn’t ask Ian straight up did you kill her. But his fixation on certain things, like the blood in the room did him no favors.

Fellows, became a detective… about time. What did you think of the reveal that he was a MacKenzie half-brother and would have been Duke had he been legitimate? Did you enjoy how Beth revealed it?

Beth did a great job, anything less they wouldn’t have swallowed the hook. I think each thinks the other had it better… Fellows didn’t have to grow up and be beaten daily by a manic of a father. But Fellows also didn’t have any of the fine things that the MacKenzie brothers got just by being born legitimate. Do I think he has a case for being ticked? You bet. But wanting to punish the sons for the father, that was unjustified.

I like that Hart automatically wanted to make things better for Fellow’s mother. He takes his responsibilities seriously. For some reason has no worries about scandal, maybe because he’s lived it his entire life.

Mrs. Palmer, did you even have a clue it was her till Beth revealed it? What did you think, plausible?

Had no idea, why I didn’t I have no idea either. When you recount it, it does make sense that Mrs. Palmer and her girls had the most access. Here she was protecting Hart from scandal and then murders the other woman just brought it all back again. Fool of a woman. Hart cared for even at the end, I thought well of him for that. Not quite so “Hartless”.

Mrs. Palmer loved Hart to all distraction, yet she was fine that he had to marry and get heirs… is the concept so foreign you can’t understand it? Or can you place yourself in that time and understand? Thoughts?

This I could never understand, I know I’m not a product of the times. But how could you love someone and not feel betrayed?

Narrator, Angela Dawe’s narrated this,… so what do you think?

I’ve listened to a number of her narrations, this is one where her quirk of “lilting” up the end of every sentence like it ends with a “?” or “!” didn’t annoy me. Female voices were excellent; her males are too gruff… and quite frankly as sexy as sandpaper (in standard speaking voice).

Would you read the next installment (Isabella and Mac) or listen to it?

Yes to both. Because once your ears adjust it’s all fine. I continued to enjoy the audios, because her female voices are excellent.... the males ... not do much and ... by the time I hit Daniel's story all the MacKenzie's started to sound alike when not in mixed company. Quality issues.